Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 7:38:31 PM EDT

I looked up the numbers but they will only give me the cell providers, (sprint and something called airtouch)

I am almost tempted to pay the 100bucks to find where the ass hat lives... But even then theres no guarentee I will get my money back.

I am guessing a cell provider would never give up a customers name??
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
No, the police will not help you if it is just a civil matter.  If some type of theft has occurred. they will investigate - not simply hand you an address so you can go collect.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You need a lawyer..don't bring it here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
nuke from orbit, only way to be sure
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
If the Cell phone #s somehow found there way on the internet. And unknown folks called those 3s 24 hours a day. That would be really annoying....
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If the Cell phone #s somehow found there way on the internet. And unknown folks called those 3s 24 hours a day. That would be really annoying....

Bingo We could have some fun with that number.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No, the police will not help you if it is just a civil matter.  If some type of theft has occurred. they will investigate - not simply hand you an address so you can go collect.

They used a stolen credit card that did clear at the time but now the company says its no good. so I am SOL.

The problem is finding the person...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

We used to call people for days on end asking "Hi, this is ______ is John there?"

People used to get mad until like the 5th or 6th day we would call and say "Hi, this is John. Did I get any messages?"
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds like you got some continuing education in the school of hard knocks. Don't let it get you down and don't take any action aganist the guy that will get you in trouble.
I had a brother-in-law that used to borrow money and pay it back slowly, then he stopped paying. It's not so bad though, He doesn't come around anymore(that's good).
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They used a stolen credit card that did clear at the time but now the company says its no good. so I am SOL.

The problem is finding the person...

Uh, did you get an authorization and approval from the credit card company at the time of purchase?  I thought that doing so guaranteed payment from the CC company as they would assume the liablity for the charge if you got an approval code from them at the time of purchase.

You could have a woman call his cell phone and chat with him and see if she can get more information, or get him to show up somewhere and the you could get his tag number, visit with him, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It sounds like you got some continuing education in the school of hard knocks. Don't let it get you down and don't take any action aganist the guy that will get you in trouble.
I had a brother-in-law that used to borrow money and pay it back slowly, then he stopped paying. It's not so bad though, He doesn't come around anymore(that's good).

Yeah I am not going to try and hurt them, the cops put it this way if I can get enough info on the person they will talk to them. But they aren't going to put in any time with just the info I have.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Uh, did you get an authorization and approval from the credit card company at the time of purchase?  I thought that doing so guaranteed payment from the CC company as they would assume the liablity for the charge if you got an approval code from them at the time of purchase.

yeah and thats what I thought too but in the fine print it says something about no liability for stolen cards so they can withhold payment
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#13]
How much money we talking about here?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How much money we talking about here?

a little bit over $500.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

YUP!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YUP!!!

good plan!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#17]
You have his cell number?

Have someone else call, say they are a delivery service (in one of those big brown trucks, for example) and you need to confirm an address for delivery.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Have someone else call, say they are a delivery service (in one of those big brown trucks, for example) and you need to confirm an address for delivery.

yeah but then they just say I didn't order anything.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#19]
people are dumb especially about free stuff give it a try.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Sneaky bastard!!!
I like your way of thinking.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#21]
trust me the phone company WILL NOT give up any info, dont even bother.
Sign them up for every service you find, making their life a living hell.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#22]

If they've commited credit card fraud, then the police can investigate.  

If they didn't, and it was their card, then the credit card company does actually have to pay if they gave you an authorization number.

It has to be one of those two...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Ha ha ha, thats a good one. Maybe if it was a box of donuts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did say "Can".  I didn't say "Would". =)

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
trust me the phone company WILL NOT give up any info, dont even bother.
Sign them up for every service you find, making their life a living hell.

yeah I wont even bother with that route.

I will try to trick them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

cops really dont give a fuck, a man has to take care of himself.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#27]
You know their name, so call them up and say your with their cell provider. Say you are calling to say you recieved their order to upgrade to their best calling plan at $99 a month or something. Then when they say they didn't order that, say ok someone is messing with your account will you verify your name and address.

It is worth a shot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

cops really dont give a fuck, a man has to take care of himself.

Truer words have never been spoken.. I can vouch that cops are worthless.. Take matters into your own hands.. the cops will be to lazy to do anything.. they may call you to say they got a complaint but will never call back or do anymore..
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Credit card cases are very lengthy and time consuming.   Credit card companies will not give police any information regarding the account even if the owner of the card consents.  The officer has to get a search warrant to get all of the information.   And to get a search warrant on those types of cases takes a significant amount of time.

Police have to prioritize case loads.   It can take several hours just to write the search warrant, then contact the court where the credit card company is located, and have the judge in that jurisdiction to issue to the warrant, then have another PD serve the search warrant (if the company wants to be a pain in the ass).   All that can take days if not weeks.    That is why most PD's require the consumer to get all the nescessary information and bring it to the PD.

The credit card companies also have their own civil investigators that get paid to investigate credit card fraud, then forward the case to the district attorney's office in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred.

What im saying is either the law needs to change where law enforcement can get credit information from companies when the consumer makes a report of fraud, or the consumer needs to get their shit together, then go to the police with the info.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Go to the Department of Motor Vehicles and fill out the request form.  You can get automobile license and address from there.  You are in the same state correct?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Someone owes me money have some cell numbers and a name, cops wont help now what?

That someone owes you money is a civil problem, why would the police be involved?  They enforce criminal law.....

If you mentioned some criminal reason and I missed it in the thread, my bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top