Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 1:46:48 AM EST
I am reading up on proper sling use, and have been practicing the regular sling usage. I obviously see the need for a tactical sling to keep weapon at 'ready' or to cross draw, etc. But how in the F does the three point sling work, I see no advantage.

The point is to keep teh butt of the rifle in teh shoulder and keep the muzzle free to raise or drop, right?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:11:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 5:12:23 AM EST by Rabid_Coyote]
The three point sling isn't normally used as a shooting aid like the regular sling was used. It's strictly a means of hands free carry.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:12:44 AM EST
It is a carry strap, not a sling. The only "three point sling" I am aware of is the Ching Sling...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:13:31 AM EST
A 3-point sling allows one to carry the rifle, and then shoulder and fire it while it is slung.

A normally slung rifle either hangs too low or is too tight to properly shoulder and fire; you normally have to take the rifle off to do anything with it, if it's slung with a normal sling.

Also, if you need to make a rapid transition from a rifle to a handgun, you can safely just let go of the rifle and draw; the rifle shouldn't get in your way, and it will stay slung. To do that normally would either have the rifle get in your way or would require you to drop it onto the ground to draw.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:21:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 5:22:13 AM EST by fight4yourrights]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:55:54 AM EST
Fig. 47 doesn't strike me as the best firing position! but then again, that looks like one of those bullet hoses that you dont really have to aim....
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:28:30 AM EST
A 3-point is much better for carrying the rifle closer to ready than you can with a conventional sling. You can just "drop" the rifle and it will go to the slung position. Depending no which shoulder you put the sling under, you have a variety of carry positions. Under the right arm, you can rotate it so it's pointed down along your RHS. Alternatively, you can do muzzle-up carry just by rotate the muzzle up; the slider on the 3-point sling moves towards the front attachment point.

Here's me carrying my AR with a 3pt sling:
[ link to LARGER image ]

If you "unsling" yourself from the rifle, it's possible to use a 3pt sling for stabilization like you can with a normal bottom sling, however, there is no front arm loop.
[ link to LARGER image ]
Top Top