[#1]
EDTV = Extra Dumb Television

HDTV = Hyper Dumb Television

Either is hazardous to your IQ.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Either is hazardous to your IQ.

So is putting my head in the microwave, but that hasn't stopped me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
EDTV=Enhanced Definition TV.  Basically, this is DVD quality---480p, or 480 vertical (?) lines in the picture.  Regular TV is 480i, which means there are 480 lines but only 240 at a time (they flash on and off, half at a time, using the persistance of vision to make it look like one image).
HDTV=High Definition TV.  This is either 720p, that is 720 lines per picture, or 1080i, which is 540 lines blinking on and off the same way as in 480i.  You only get HDTV if you have a high definition set and a high definition receiver, receiving programs broadcast in high definition.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not get a EDTV. It won't be able to display HDTV signals at anything close to their full glory.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The previous posters are correct, EDTV doesn't hold a candle to real HDTV.  For more information:

www.avsforum.com

AVSForum is the place to find out about HDTV, home theater, home audio, etc. on the web.  More information than you can stand!

Futuristic
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
If you got the money now, get HDTV.

If not, stick with the regular set and wait until HDTV prices come down.

EDTV is a complete waste of money mainly because it isn't even close to HDTV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top