Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2004 12:47:36 PM EDT

Posted on Wed, Oct. 27, 2004

Man found fatally shot on Brentwood sidewalk

By Nathaniel Hoffman and Rowena Coetsee

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

BRENTWOOD - Ten days after a triple homicide shocked this rapidly growing city, police found a man lying dead Tuesday morning on a grassy sidewalk in a quiet west Brentwood street.

Prisheen Krishna was apparently shot and killed before sunrise, becoming the sixth person to be gunned down in just over a year in a town where people say they move to get away from violence.

One neighbor in Shadow Lakes, a golf course community off Balfour Road, heard several pops early Tuesday about the time her alarm went off, but she hit the snooze button until her dog started barking.

When police arrived at 6:10 a.m., they found Krishna, a 36-year-old Brentwood resident, lying outside a home on the 2900 block of Haddington Court, Sgt. Tom Hansen said.

Hansen would not comment on whether police had any suspects, but he requested information on the case from the public. No one was being held in connection with the case, he said.

He would not say if Krishna lived on Haddington Court.

People living along Waterville Drive, adjacent to the crime scene, can see downhill into a park where just over a year ago, Gerardo Gutierrez, 37, was gunned down in broad daylight in front of his 6-year-old daughter.

"As the town grows, the propensity for critical incidents increases," Sgt. Eric Wernholm said.

Sharon Ouka was gardening Tuesday as police investigated the killing around the corner from her house. She left Antioch for Shadow Lakes -- where homes are currently selling for $499,000 to $1.3 million -- three years ago and was taken aback at the two shootings near her home in the last year.

"I think the police department kind of owes it to the neighborhood to tell us what they know," Ouka said.

Ouka, who leaves for work in West Oakland at 3 a.m., said she wants to know if she needs to worry who is out on the street at that hour.

Hansen said the four shooting incidents in the past year do not appear to be connected.

"You can't make it that it's some out-of-control crime spree," Hansen said, standing amid the neat yards with the picturesque Mount Diablo in the distance.

Brentwood's population has more than tripled over the past decade, soaring from 10,315 in 1994 to slightly more than 37,000 today. Although the city has ballooned from a sleepy burg to a bustling bedroom community, Mayor Brian Swisher says the crime rate has not kept up.

"There isn't a lot of violence that happens in Brentwood -- people aren't afraid to walk the streets, afraid to go downtown at night," he said.

From 1993 to 2003, Brentwood reported 2,631 assaults, 36 rapes and nine homicides. No killings were reported between 2000 and the fall of 2003.

Since fall 2003, however, Brentwood has seen six shooting deaths in four separate incidents, including the shooting of Krishna, and that of Gutierrez in October 2003.

Joel Hanson, a 16-year-old junior at Liberty High School was shot in the head and killed in December at a friend's Brentwood home.

Ten days ago, Michelle Celebrini was shot and killed along with her two daughters in their house. Police believe her husband killed them before heading to Yosemite National Park, where he set several fires and killed himself.

Hansen said the police department, growing as the city grows, can handle multiple homicide investigations. The department boasts a comfortable 1.5 officers for every 1,000 residents and has public support, he said.

But times are changing for Brentwood residents.

"We live in 2004," Hansen said. "You need to be aware of your environment."

News researcher Ginny Stemler contributed to this story.

He worked at one of the tire shops that I sell parts to. His american name was Sammy. He was a good guy. We got the call this morning and they said he was found with a bullet wound to the back of his head.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn. Sorry to hear that, Blue....
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Condolences from Nevada.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
damn, sorry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouka, who leaves for work in West Oakland at 3 a.m., said she wants to know if she needs to worry who is out on the street at that hour

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I worry about whats on the streets all hours of the day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Shit. Sorry to hear it man.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear that.  Prayers for his family.

Wonder what got him shot.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Yikes! Sorry to hear this man.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear that.  Prayers for his family.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Prisheen Krishna

Just a guess....

at any rate, prayers inbound...sorry to hear it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Today would have been his last day at the tire shop, he was going into real estate. Kinda weird talking to the guy every day for the last year and a half and he turns up dead.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Was it random, or was he involved with anything?

My condolences anyway.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
It's always tough to lose someone we know unexpectedly...my condolences
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

You say he worked at a tire shop. Just out of curiosity, what was his job? Mechanic? Salesman? Service manager?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

You say he worked at a tire shop. Just out of curiosity, what was his job? Mechanic? Salesman? Service manager?

One of the managers, he floated between three stores. I didn't even know that Sammy wasn't his real name until today, the guy spoke fluent english like any of us would. Crazy shit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
An uncle of mine got killed, I hope they find the person and do something.  The person that killed my uncle got off light
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Sorry to hear that. Prayers for his family.

Some asshat criminal.

My condolences and prayers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn  That really sucks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top