Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2006 1:53:56 PM EDT

The work is amazing, but why that portrait? I don't get it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you find the picture?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a pic from vietnam of a execution of a VC, it was a big thing back in the day, took time magazine  pic of the year I think.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Dusty you would surprised how much money is being made to get rid of tattoos.  Its a painful process and takes many many visits.  The usual cost is about $50 per square inch per visit.   You may need 12 visits.

Also blue and green ink are really hard to get rid of due to the sensitivity of the lasers that are used.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, someone got a tat of that officer blowing that guys brains out in Vietnam?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm searching for some color combos for a new piece I'm drawing and it came up.  I know all about that pic.  I just dont get why you'd get it tattooed on you. The ink I had I didn't like is covered up by ink I DO like doc, but thanks for the info
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Kind of unusual subject for a tat.......maybe the owner reallllllly hates commies...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Now, the question is, would you rather see that or a set of tribal ass antlers on a hot chick?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Now, the question is, would you rather see that or a set of tribal ass antlers on a hot chick?

Oh that no doubt,  While the subject is odd, the artist who did that tat is absolutely amazing.  That's an incredible piece done by someone in the class of Chris Garver or Paul Booth.

ETA every tribal I see makes me want to puke, tattoos should mean something.  I don't see anyone with a tribal in a tribe
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dusty you would surprised how much money is being made to get rid of tattoos.  Its a painful process and takes many many visits.  The usual cost is about $50 per square inch per visit.   You may need 12 visits.

Also blue and green ink are really hard to get rid of due to the sensitivity of the lasers that are used.

Some tattooists (is that what they're called?) can do a pretty good job at covering up old tattoos with other stuff.  My stepfather had a pitbull tattoo on his upper arm and he got a guy to turn it into an orange tiger instead.  Can't even tell there was ever anything there before.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#10]
There is actually a film footage of that execution

The shooter was an officer in South VietNamese army (or intel) who had just captured the VC infiltrator and in an instant had marched him into the street and capped him right then and there

commie hit the ground with a gushing stream that resembled a hose.

Shooter retired to suburban DC (IIRC) and ran a restaurant LINK to wikapedia recap of Lt Gneral Nguyen Ngoc Loan

He passed away a few years back.

Great photo that won a pulitzer prize

But I wouldnt want a tat of it
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some tattooists (is that what they're called?) can do a pretty good job at covering up old tattoos with other stuff.  My stepfather had a pitbull tattoo on his upper arm and he got a guy to turn it into an orange tiger instead.  Can't even tell there was ever anything there before.

Yup, but you are kind of dependent on the skill of the artist.  You get a crappy one and....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, but you are kind of dependent on the skill of the artist.  You get a crappy one and....

Your right, but that's why you research the hell out of your honest and stick with one you can trust.  If you just walk in off the street, pick a pic off the wall, and pay the closest guy with a buzzy thing in his hand you deserve to be butchered.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#13]
nevermind, didn't read the posts
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh that no doubt,  While the subject is odd, the artist who did that tat is absolutely amazing.  That's an incredible piece done by someone in the class of Chris Garver or Paul Booth.

ETA every tribal I see makes me want to puke, tattoos should mean something.  I don't see anyone with a tribal in a tribe

for the most part i feel the same way, but i make an exception for my gf, shes samoan, and she has a tribal around her arm, and im pretty sure she knows what the different symbols mean. (course she also has a snowflake, but you would have to know my name to understand the signifigance of that one.)

of course i get alot of people knockin my tats, they just don't know what they mean to me. i really dont give a fuck what they think.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Some tattooists (is that what they're called?) can do a pretty good job at covering up old tattoos with other stuff.  

my boss at my last job got a girl's name on his neck...  a month later, they split up

he now has a pretty cool looking dragon in it's place - you can't even tell there's a name underneath it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]
There are a lot of tattoos I don't get either, but the ones I have I like.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I think this tat is for somebody who takes Sat Cong very seriousely.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw a comedian once talking about tattoos.  He goes "You have a tribal tattoo huh?  So what tribe are you in?"
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Perhaps it has some significance to the person who has the ink.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#20]
This is real class...

What wimmin wouldn't be turned-on by that?

Add in the guys who have a tattoo of a woman stratigically placed so that one leg runs down the length of their arm and the other leg runs down their torso so that the "split" meets at their hairy armpits.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#21]

That's an incredible piece done by someone in the class of Chris Garver or Paul Booth.

I can't say that I agree with that.. it's not horrible, but could be considerably better.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what are tribal ass antlers?  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This is real class...

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/11294.jpg

What wimmin wouldn't be turned-on by that?

Fricking unbelievable...what a moron.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
There are a lot of tattoos I don't get either, but the ones I have I like.

Exactly. That's tattoos for you, personal for sure (well, hopefully).

I wouldn't have gotten it, but there are many reasons some one might have gotten that tattoo. As someone else said, maybe it did have some personaly significance to them.

I'm not big into Koi fish tattoos either, but appreciate them when done properly, by the right artists, and fits in with the person/their other tats.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#26]
My friend works tech support for Coherent lasers.  

He loves tattoos.  But has none himself.

He calls them "job security"
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last sentence is pretty fuckin stupid/hypocritical. Most people get them for "decoration", they tend to look very good when done correctly (right curves on the right parts). Some get them and incorporate them into other styles (my personal style). Very few has to do with the tribal aspect, as that is only a "name" for the style.

I agree it is way too popular, I've had mine long before they became trendy, and ceased  getting them when it became the rage.....now doing a bio-mechanical sleeve (incorporating my Japanese-tribal combo).......

And that tat is nothing like Garver or Paul's work, although it is good work.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#28]
So Dusty...

Here's a new topic..

"Some penis piercings I just don't get"

Really, from a guy that has 3oz of stainless steel rod stuck in his dork, why would you bother to question someone's tat's?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Paying someone to shoot needles in your skin, hmm I just dont get it. Most tattoos look like some messed-up birthmark or something. I find them ugly. Anyway it's a personal choice. Same with piercings... pay someone... to stab needles in your face?... and then hang foreign objects there?... for no reason other than being a trendy pussy?...

That is a weird tattoo for sure but certainly unique.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#30]
The pic of the tat that the OP had was bad ass.

As for why he may have it...

Maybe he or a close family member was former member of the South Veitnamese Army

Maybe he was an American in Viet Nam.

Maybe he hates communists.

Maybe he is currently an intel guy and wishes he could cap some islamofacists.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
So Dusty...

Here's a new topic..

Really, from a guy that has 3oz of stainless steel rod stuck in his dork, why would you bother to question someone's tat's?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dusty has a pierced dick?!

Dayum.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dayum.

Uh, seem that there was a post about 6moths back where he was crowing about his pierced dick.

I would search for the trhread but he's such a prolific poster that It'd take me weeks to locate it.  perhaps he'll tell me that it's just 2oz and titanium, not stainless.

Either way, if you've got a pierced dick, then you really live in a glass house and shouldn't throw stones (no pun).

Me - no tat's, no piercings
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Kind of like having a West Coast Chopper, OCC or Harley bumper sticker on your vehicle even though you don’t own one. Or even a big Nike swoosh. Here in AZ I have seen dozens if not a hundred cars with the bump sticker "Club Tattoo".  I figured it was a look at me thing saying "I have a tattoo; but am in my car so you can’t see it so... I also have a bumper sticker saying I am in a tattoo club" but have just recently driven past the actually Club Tattoo in Tempe. Do all of these people have tattoos from club tattoo?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So Dusty...

Here's a new topic..

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dayum.

I do
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I agree totally. Beside the fact that if I was going to start citing great portrait artists I'd be mentioning Jack Rudy or Brian Everett. Nobody today touches the old school greats.

As for why the guy got the piece, who cares. I'm sure nobody out there understands why I have the ink I have either. Which is fine, I didn't get it for them. I saw a phenominal tattoo artist from Russia once, half of his portfolio was portraits of Stalin. His work was rad, the fact that half of it was Stalin was irrelevant except to highlight the high percentage of suckers on planet earth. Who knows, maybe the guy wearing the tattoo is Vietnamese.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Kind of like having a West Coast Chopper, OCC or Harley bumper sticker on your vehicle even though you don’t own one. Or even a big Nike swoosh. Here in AZ I have seen dozens if not a hundred cars with the bump sticker "Club Tattoo".  I figured it was a look at me thing saying "I have a tattoo; but am in my car so you can’t see it so... I also have a bumper sticker saying I am in a tattoo club" but have just recently driven past the actually Club Tattoo in Tempe. Do all of these people have tattoos from club tattoo?

It's a "big deal" because one of the owners is in the band Linkin Park and I think there's alot of college kids there. My brother owns a shop in the area and mentioned the popularity of the place when I was in town a couple weeks ago getting my insano tiki god back piece started.

shameless plug for my bro: www.aradicaldesign.com
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a "big deal" because one of the owners is in the band Linkin Park and I think there's alot of college kids there. My brother owns a shop in the area and mentioned the popularity of the place when I was in town a couple weeks ago getting my insano tiki god back piece started.

ARFCOMMMER DISCOUNTS?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ARFCOMMMER DISCOUNTS?

Tell him his brother referred you and he'll hook you up. He's incredibly fast, so his work ends up being a real bargain anyway. If you're serious just drop in and see him, or call and make an appointment. He's a hell of a nice guy and he's all about doing cool custom pieces. You might even end up with a new shooting buddy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
There is actually a film footage of that execution

The shooter was an officer in South VietNamese army (or intel) who had just captured the VC infiltrator and in an instant had marched him into the street and capped him right then and there

commie hit the ground with a gushing stream that resembled a hose.

Shooter retired to suburban DC (IIRC) and ran a restaurant LINK to wikapedia recap of Lt Gneral Nguyen Ngoc Loan

He passed away a few years back.

Great photo that won a pulitzer prize

But I wouldnt want a tat of it

I actually met him very briefly.  Went and checked out a used Honda Accord his son had for sale.  Nice guy.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I always thought this was a cool tattoo...

I always thought this was pretty stupid, but hey, to each their own, ymmv, buyer beware, no warranties expressed or implied, God save the queen, etc....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Man, I HATE the ass antlers!
Why do women do that..
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

for the most part i feel the same way, but i make an exception for my gf, shes samoan, and she has a tribal around her arm, and im pretty sure she knows what the different symbols mean. (course she also has a snowflake, but you would have to know my name to understand the signifigance of that one.)Thats my thing, I have over 20 hours in the chair and each and every piece means something to me.  I could give a fuck less if people get it or not, but I love how they love to embarass themselves by talking shit.

of course i get alot of people knockin my tats, they just don't know what they mean to me. i really dont give a fuck what they think.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last sentence is pretty fuckin stupid/hypocritical. Most people get them for "decoration", they tend to look very good when done correctly (right curves on the right parts). Some get them and incorporate them into other styles (my personal style). Very few has to do with the tribal aspect, as that is only a "name" for the style.

I agree it is way too popular, I've had mine long before they became trendy, and ceased  getting them when it became the rage.....now doing a bio-mechanical sleeve (incorporating my Japanese-tribal combo).......

Your used to seeing Garvers and Booths great work.  It's probably this artists best, but it's pretty close to their average stuff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
So Dusty...

Here's a new topic..

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Those who don't get it, won't.  

Quoted:
I think this tat is for somebody who takes Sat Cong very seriousely.

Well yeah, but still  portrait work is getting more and more trendy I hope it has some meaning.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Japanese Tattoo keibunsha.com/
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Not to thread jack or anything because this is kind of related in the "I just don't get it" section of my brain.  I'm seeing more and more like 18-24 year old males who are stretching their ear-lobes.  I mean these guys get their ears pierced then proceed to stretch the tiny pin holes that were intended for ear rings to a point where you can literally hook your thumbs in the holes and pick these guys up by their ears.  What the F is wrong with these guys????  Whats next for lil Jimmy white bred??  Plates in his lower lip???   I'm of the opinion to live and let live most of the time but seriously where do these guys find jobs????  I wouldnt hire a single one of these big ear lobe holed freaks if I was an employer.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#47]
What galls me about tattoos is that 99% of them are low grade crap that nobody would pay for if they were drawn on paper. That Viet Cong execution tattoo is one of the few I've ever seen that has any real artistic merit, and even it is nothing special. If one wishes to own an amateurish pencil drawing, pay a teenager $5  to draw one in art class. Don't pay a grown man with 10lbs of piercings in his face hundreds of dollars to scribble on your body.

Galland
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/dustyc/NAM.jpg

The work is amazing, but why that portrait? I don't get it.

the original for comparison:

it is a pretty interesting story what really happened in the picture
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#49]
During Bike Week in Daytona Beach, I see some "F'ed" up tattoos.  Most are on the ugly biker women.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Does anyone know what kind of pistol that is?
Did it ever make it into someones collection?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top