Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2012 2:24:14 PM EDT
So, I'll preface this with, I'm a writer, not professionally but something i do in my free time.

I like to get details right, so, for the purposes of my narrative...

What would happen if, in a DC-3 (twin-wasp engined)

1) you ran an engine on only one magneto.

2) you immediately went to rated power after a cold start.

for the purposes of the questions (and the story) it's not a completely worn the fuck out plane, but it's not not running freshly rebuilt engines either.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
#1 It would run rough and would not run up and RPM would be lower.

#2 You would probably ruin the main bearing for lack of lubrication, especially on an 1820.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

#2 You would probably ruin the main bearing for lack of lubrication, especially on an 1820.

okay, next question.

What would you do in a low altitude (less than 800 feet above ground) stall with one blowing and one windmilling?
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay, next question.

What would you do in a low altitude (less than 800 feet above ground) stall with one blowing and one windmilling?

Likely crash, unless you aggressively train for engine failures. Single engine ops in a DC-3 are very taxing as it takes a good amount of leg strength to hold rudder on the operating engine side. A failure on take-off or low altitude is the most dangerous time due to the high power settings and lower speeds.

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay, next question.

Likely crash, unless you aggressively train for engine failures. Single engine ops in a DC-3 are very taxing as it takes a good amount of leg strength to hold rudder on the operating engine side. A failure on take-off or low altitude is the most dangerous time due to the high power settings and lower speeds.

well, assuming a pilot who's got the skill and calmness to deal with it, would the procedure follow: rated power on remaining engine and try to keep it from yawing around?

eta: would it be completely impossible, provided the terrain under you is suitable for landing, to throw the gear down and put it on the ground without killing yourself or destroying the aircraft?
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay, next question.

well, assuming a pilot who's got the skill and calmness to deal with it, would the procedure follow: rated power on remaining engine and try to keep it from yawing around?

eta: would it be completely impossible, provided the terrain under you is suitable for landing, to throw the gear down and put it on the ground without killing yourself or destroying the aircraft?

Outside of accelerated stalls, if you have full power on the operating engine you are likely to be doing a Vmc demo (and crashing inverted into the ground) well before you can get the airplane to stall. In other words - you won't be able to maintain control at a speed slow enough for it to actually stall.

I'm not typed in a DC3 but the stall recovery procedure would likely start like any other: Relax back pressure, nose down to the horizon (at least), wings level, get your airspeed back all while applying the maximum power you can given the aircraft's current configuration / situation.

Picking a nice spot to crash into straight ahead would be prudent also.

Gear up or gear down crashing (on land) will always find people on either side of the argument.  A DC3 landing gear-up will take out the props and some belly skin but will still roll on the semi-retracted wheels.  The brakes will still work too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Did Dirk Pitt buy a -3?
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 5:45:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, I'll preface this with, I'm a writer, not professionally but something i do in my free time.

I like to get details right, so, for the purposes of my narrative...

What would happen if, in a DC-3 (twin-wasp engined)

1) you ran an engine on only one magneto.

2) you immediately went to rated power after a cold start.

for the purposes of the questions (and the story) it's not a completely worn the fuck out plane, but it's not not running freshly rebuilt engines either.

1) Engine should run smooth but not develop full rated power.  

2) It would do it but it would do damage to the engine because of lack of proper lubrication. Normally you would wait for a minimum of 40 degrees C before exceeding 1000 RPM. You might also rupture an oil cooler.

Running max power on one engine and then stalling the airplane would result in a VMC roll over and from 800 feet in a DC-3 you would not be able to recover before making a crater.  

I got my ATP in a 1937 model DC-3, year of our Lord 1974. We have the Continental DC-3 at Lone Star Flight Museum.

Link Posted: 7/12/2012 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

okay, next question.

It depends if you lose the critical engine or not, on the DC-3 it is the right engine. Torque and P-factor is most aggressive at high AOA so if you are still climbing out and have sufficient airspeed you could MAYBE make it happen if you lost the left engine. In all likelihood though you will crash.

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

okay, next question.

It depends if you lose the critical engine or not, on the DC-3 it is the right engine. Torque and P-factor is most aggressive at high AOA so if you are still climbing out and have sufficient airspeed you could MAYBE make it happen if you lost the left engine. In all likelihood though you will crash.  

The question was: "What would you do in a low altitude (less than 800 feet above ground) STALL with one blowing and one windmilling?"
You stall a Goonie Bird on one (left or right) engine at 800' and you are graveyard dead. No ifs, ands, or buts. Not even John Wayne or the great Waldo Pepper could do it outside of Hollywood.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

okay, next question.

The question was: "What would you do in a low altitude (less than 800 feet above ground) STALL with one blowing and one windmilling?"

You stall a Goonie Bird on one (left or right) engine at 800' and you are graveyard dead. No ifs, ands, or buts. Not even John Wayne or the great Waldo Pepper could do it outside of Hollywood.

Missed the stall part.

Link Posted: 7/17/2012 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I forgive you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top