Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 6:02:53 PM EDT
Link to story

Man convicted of reckless homicide while DUI in 1999 picked up again for DUI.

Another DUI for Fish

Monday, October 3, 2005

ALEDO - A Mercer County man who was convicted of a drunk diving double fatality seven years ago has been arrested for another DUI.
Bruce Fish, 48, was taken into custody Saturday night by Mercer County sheriff's deputies and is being held without bond. He is due in Mercer County Circuit Court this morning.

Fish was found guilty of reckless homicide in 1999 for an Oct. 9, 1998, accident that killed Shirley Matkovic and her 6-year-old grandson, Cole Matkovic, both of Matherville. The grandmother was stopped at a construction zone traffic signal when she was struck from behind by a van driven by Fish. The woman and child were pronounced dead at the scene. Fish had a blood-alcohol content nearly three times the legal limit at the time of the crash. He was sentenced to 14 years in prison and was released in April 2004.

Details of his latest DUI arrest have not been released, but the Mercer County Sheriff's Department confirmed that he is being held on a felony DUI charge without bond.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
5-and-change years in prison for murdering two people.  Yeah, our justice system isn't fucked up....
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Betcha a sixpack he wasn't caught at a checkpoint
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Apparently had kids with him, too....

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
5-and-change years in prison for murdering two people.  Yeah, our justice system isn't fucked up....

+1.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot, Shovel, Shutup
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Shoot, Shovel, Shutup

+1

Or he will kill more innocents.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Man convicted of reckless homicide while DUI in 1999 picked up again for DUI.

Don't know where you live, but it must not be far from me.
I read that in todays paper, and just saw it on new news.
I used to live in Moline.  Just moved to Davenport.

They said on the news that this time he might face a maximum of 10  years.

Why don't people loose their license after the first conviction?
At least for a while.

I've said for a LONG time that there will always be at least one death if I'm hit by a drunk.
If I can reach my gun, the other guys death will be self defense if he is still behind the wheel.

Legalese77:  You don't live in Aledo, do you?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Why don't people loose their license after the first conviction?
At least for a while.

I've said for a LONG time that there will always be at least one death if I'm hit by a drunk.
If I can reach my gun, the other guys death will be self defense if he is still behind the wheel.

Legalese77:  You don't live in Aledo, do you?

In IL, conviction or no, you usually lose your license summarily based on failure of breath/blood test or refusal. Twice as long for refusal as failure. This guy had no license this time around and it didn't deter him in the least.

I work in Aledo sometimes but live about a half hour away. I am about an hour from Davenport.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This guy had no license this time around and it didn't deter him in the least.

Well, shoot on sight then.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ALEDO - A Mercer County man who was convicted of a drunk diving double fatality seven years ago has been arrested for another DUI.

Bruce Fish, 48, was taken into custody Saturday night by Mercer County sheriff's deputies and is being held without bond. He is due in Mercer County Circuit Court this morning.

Drunk DIVING?   WTF?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#14]
If you find this surprising, you should go spend an evening or night riding with your local JBT DUI unit on their patrol.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you find this surprising, you should go spend an evening or night riding with your local JBT DUI unit on their patrol.

No kidding. I'm surprised it took him over a year to get caught again.

I hate to point it out to you guys, but 5 years is actually longer  than most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top