Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/27/2002 12:28:34 PM EST
I'm hopeing some of you well traveled guys would know the exchange rate of the american 110ac/220ac electricity as it relates to forign made items. This is the question, I just got a motorized item I bought at a "closeout"AUCTION that was meant for overseas. It came "as is". It has 2 connections, (1) looks like this -. with the dot centered under the horizontal fitting, its a male plug. This goes into #2, a peanuts can size thing that has a 2 prong like european plugs. This plugs into a standard addaptor (RaidoShackCrap) to fit into the wall socket. I simply do not want to burnout the motor, if they are european they might run on less voltage or more voltage and I might be burning the motor out or unknowingly taxing it to an early demise?......intel as well as wise cracks ''please gentlemen'' .[;)](I use that term loosely)[;)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:32:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2002 12:51:22 PM EST by DzlBenz]
It's not so much the voltage, it's the frequency. US AC power is 60 Hertz, or 60 cycles per second. The rest of the world (well, mostly) is 50 Hz. Most travel adapters are to allow one to use a 110/60Hz device on 220/50Hz. I'm sure, though, that adapters that go the other way are available; it's just that most people in the US have no use for them. Edited to add: I re-read your original post a few times. I didn't quite get the "peanut-can-sized thing" the first time. It sounds like you've probably got the adapter already. Plug it in and try it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:02:55 PM EST
You should be able to get an adapter at any travel store in your local mall if there isn't one on their already. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:09:15 PM EST
Europe is 220v AC, 50 hz, America is 110/220v 60hz. Some motors run on either without an adaptor some do not, so check yours. Just adapting the plug may burn it out, you may need a transformer to run it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:28:16 PM EST
For all practical purposes (except a clock) the 10 Hz difference between 50 and 60 cycles don't matter. I'm not quite sure what kind of adapters you're talking about. Also, be adviced that there are different kinds of European plugs/outlets. This one [img]http://www.holzinger.cc/unterricht/eurost.jpg[/img] being the most common one. Normal European current is 220V/50 Hz, but you'll find 230/60, too. This difference is neglibible. Highpowered appliances, like ovens, boilers, stationary saws will run at 350/50. Where was I? Ah yes. Some devices, like computer power supplies can be switched between 115/230. For the rest, you'll need an adapter, usually to be had at RadioShack or thereabouts. If they only have adapters to use US appliances abroad, get an adapter to use Euro thingies in the US from www.ebay.co.uk. or www.ebay.de.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:30:53 PM EST
Additionally, some low-power things like shavers can run on anythin between 12 V DC up to 250 60Hz AC. For some reason they don't seem to be able to hold a charge (if rechargable).
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:31:35 PM EST
As I recall it's more common for Americans to burn their electronics while traveling in Europe than the other way around. Has nothing to do with IQ, just voltage. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:46:30 PM EST
A few more details on the electrical device you are wondering about might be helpful. Motor nameplate data would also be helpful. I work for Siemens (German) and configure euro motors (G.E. and Alstom) for use in the US often. Some devices are less compatible with voltage and frequency variances than others. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:08:37 AM EST
WOW......I knew some of you guys had some valuable intel on this. The peanut can says.. U-in-230v,50hz.....U-out-30v-max60v....and...this perplexes me its on the bottom of the specs......[red]int=10% max 6min/hr[/red] .....Its a push button chair adjustment motor on a NASA typed chair for the home, designed to negate gravity on lift-of for the shuttle passengers but made for the home. Motor name plate is LINAK on the chair, and the on can sized thing. [b]THANKS ALL![/b]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:46:14 AM EST
I knew a number of people who blew up their TV in Germany thinking that their 110 volt TV just needed the 220 adapter plug. Over there, its important to have a transformer or electronics that are dual voltage - you shouldn't have that problem here being that you are converting a normally 220 volt item into 110 volt. Most dual voltage products have a switch on them somewhere to automatically convert to 220 or 110
Top Top