Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/5/2005 6:20:00 PM EDT
In a supply and demand economy, the only way we will ever enjoy cheap fuel again is to hit the demand side with our actions. In other words, we need to quit living like fuel pigs, and CONSERVE fuel. When we can get by without using gas like we have been in the last decade, prices will come down.

It seems to me that the cheap fuel of the 80's was partly the result of the conservation efforts of the 70's, and subsequent building of additional infrastructure to facilitate supply.

I have parked my full size 4X4, which I used to drive daily. I have cut back on traveling, and only drive my 4 banger Alero when absolutely necessary. I filled it up the day the hurricane hit and still have half a tank. The only driving I have done in the last week was to visit my brother yesterday.

Apparently, I am not the only one who has decided it's getting too expensive to drive. My brother lives in Wisconsin Dells, which for those who aren't from the area it's a big resort/vacation area. He has friends who have stakes in area attractions and campgrounds, they told him they had cancellations in the HUNDREDS for Labor Day weekend. I was there, and it was apparent that a LOT of people stayed home this year.

What are you doing to conserve fuel? Poll coming.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:29:10 PM EDT
just driving slower and planning my trips to maximize my "get for my go" and will probably be getting a toyota instead of my ford.

both are my BOV but the yota will get there cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:43:32 PM EDT
I only drive to where I need to go; which is what I did before.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:44:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Oslow:
I only drive to where I need to go; which is what I did before.

Yep, same here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:04:43 PM EDT
Stayed home this Labor Day to conserve gas and to protest the prices. Saved about 10 gallons in the truck and about 5 gallons in the ATV.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:05:33 PM EDT
I didn't cut my grass.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:06:31 PM EDT
I didn't burn any crosses this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:08:43 PM EDT
Tuned up Geo metro 60+mpg. I haven't bought low octane gas in years , broke the bank when they had a gas war here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:09:13 PM EDT
I started riding my bike more, and haven't cranked my truck up since Wednesday. I figured it up earlier, and have saved nearly $30 in gas since Wednesday by riding the bike.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:11:07 PM EDT
Being at college, I've pretty much ceased going anywhere besides walking around campus for quite a while. Coming from Maine to NY took 1 fill-up just to get here. I came here on half a tank remaining over a week ago and haven't started my car since
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:27:24 PM EDT
I am not changing anything, Fuel is fuel, prices are high but not unaffordably so
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:28:26 PM EDT

I drove over 700 miles in the last four days

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:31:11 PM EDT
I drive / own an 18 I get great GAS mileage... never burn it! LOL
but my profits have.... wait I HAVE NO MORE PROFITS!!!!
Thanx gougers!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:32:47 PM EDT
Started using the motorcycle more.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:34:49 PM EDT
Where is the voting option if I haven't done anything?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:36:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalPenguin:
I am not changing anything, Fuel is fuel, prices are high but not unaffordably so

+1

I drove out 3 tanks this weekend, and if I had a few more days I would have driven out 3 more.

13 mpg all the way baby! We dont need no water let the mf burn.............
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:41:18 PM EDT
Before this all hit (the hurricane, leaps in gas prices), I had noticed my car (V6 import coupe) wasn't getting the best gas mileage, so I decided to change the oil and clean the air filter (K&N). The air filter was LOADED. It NEEDED cleaning. Then I checked my tires, and a couple were 5lb low, the other two were 2-3lb low. I inflated them to a couple pounds heavier to lower rolling resistance.

I have also changed my driving habits. I live close to work (2 miles), so that is a boon. I've gotten out of the habit of bringing in my lunch, but I think I will, as if I go out to get lunch, I easily drive 5-8 miles, which is mostly stop and go. This can't help. I try not to get on the throttle more than maybe 1/4 of the way... I take my time getting up to speed and use the highest gear possible to cruise in, and I avoid changes in speed.

Remember, the BIGGEST thing that affects your gas mileage is YOU.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:41:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I drove over 700 miles in the last four days

That must have put a hurting on the wallet!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:45:04 PM EDT
I enjoy paying $3.25 a gallon for gas. Seriously...I cant wait to buy my first $5.00 gallon!
Top Top