Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/9/2005 3:23:42 PM EDT
I've been looking for a FFl to do a transfer, and every one I ask wants $50.00 or 10% of the firearm. I didn't ever pay this when I lived in Texas. (Had to move to OK, long story.) I was getting discouraged, so I called another pawn shop. This dude gives me the 10% story. I reply, "So if I buy a firearm for $340.00 the transfer will be $34.00 right. He asks what am I buying. I told him I was looking at an XD-9 sub compact that was used. He said "An XD for $340.00???  I told him it was from an out of state  friend. His reply was.."Yea, ...well they sell for around $500.00, and I'll determine what it is worth. That is what you'll  pay...but if it is from a friend you can just have it shipped to you and forget about the transfer. That's what I'd do"    I told him that I'd planned on obeying federal law, and that I'd take my business else where!

That just really chaps my butt! They try to make it cheaper to buy new through them, or they hassle you when you find something you want somewhere else.

I can't believe he recommended having it shipped bypassing the FFL transfer!!

Edit to add: I posted over in the hometown forum, and Ark-n-Spark helped me out.  I called this one, he said $10.00 for the transfer. This guy will get my business!!

Charles Adamson
HC 60, Box 885
Lawton, , OK 73501
FFL Transfer Fee: $10.00
(580)492-4726
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
IBSA
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Its somebody working at a pawn shop, probably not your typical law student. (They should know better though)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
All the ones I know charge 25 bucks flat fee no matter what it is or how much it cost.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Look on gunbroker.com  or gunsamerica.com  to see if there are any ffls in you area that are reasonable.

good luck.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I can't believe he recommended having it shipped bypassing the FFL transfer!!

hey just because he has a FFL doesn't mean he knows the law.........as far as I know there is no written test for getting a FFL.

you might have to go outside your local area to find a dealer that will do a transfer for you, that is reasonable......... pawn shops are notorious for gouging you, if you haven't noticed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at the find a FFL link on gunbroker on gunsamerica.  There some around here that list their price at $5.00 for a transfer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
A flat fee of $25 is what I expected.

The draw back here is there are no gun shops in a town of 100,000+, but tons of pawn shops. They have the FFL's here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Look on gunbroker.com  or gunsamerica.com  to see if there are any ffls in you area that are reasonable.

good luck.

I've looked, all the FFL's listed are an hour away.

That is a short drive after today, that's likely what I'll do at this point.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

good luck.

you might want to also check your Hometown Fourm.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
IBSA

LOL.

I think S.A. would call this a true transfer, not a sale facilitated by a distributor using the FFL's account.

IF (big IF) all the FFL is doing is running the 4473 and taking shipment, then 10% of the price is too much, especially 10% of retail when you've got a deal from a friend, as with this thread originator.

On the other hand, I was standing behind a guy at the funshop the other day who wanted the FFL to order an arm from a bonafide "distributor", using the FFL's account with said distributor, getting pricing that the distributor only gives to dealers, and not wanting to pay more than $5 for the transfer.

That is bad mojo and I disagree with it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Around here it's either $20 or one thats $10.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I've made friends with a pawn shop owner here and he charges me $20.

Hell,come to think about it, he charges every body $20!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
that's what you get for not transferring it through me
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

good luck.

You just saved me at least $25 on my next purchase!  I didn't realize that existed.  The local gun store wants a flat $50, no matter what you are buying.  No thanks.

I just might have to think about ponying up for a membership after my next purchase with the savings!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
$30 is pretty standard where I just moved from (Jacksonville). The only problem I have had is when I bought three stripped AR lowers and most wanted to charge me a transfer fee for EACH lower. So $250 worth of lowers and a $90 dollar total transfer fee. Luckily I found a guy that only charged the flat transfer fee, $35 from him, the only reason he did that was because they weren't actually "whole" firearms. I'm back in my hometown now and know our two local FFL guys so it's $20 bucks on whatever here. Too bad most of the old kitchen table FFL guys are dwindling in numbers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#17]
You should have drawn down on him.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Are you an FFL?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You should have drawn down on him.

or at least kicked his dog
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm used to paying $10 for transfers at a couple places here.  10% would have had me paying $120 for a rifle I ordered from Cabelas last year.  

I'm about to try to sell a pistol online, and will likely go through the small dealer that only charged me $10 for transfers.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Its somebody working at a pawn shop, probably not your typical law student. (They should know better though)

Don't bet too much on that, one of our members here (Duke-Nukem) worked in a pawn shop between graduation and passing the bar exam.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm used to paying $10 for transfers at a couple places here.  10% would have had me paying $120 for a rifle I ordered from Cabelas last year.  

I'm about to try to sell a pistol online, and will likely go through the small dealer that only charged me $10 for transfers.  

Where in TX are those who do the 10$ transfers? WOW! That's cheap. One FFL around me wanted 35$

Ben
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#24]
My local FFL does mine for free because I always call before I come and ask if he wants me to bring him some lunch or a milkshake.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]
We only did transfers for the better customers. Transfers are a pain in the rear and not really worth the hassle if the shop is busy enough with walk ins. We used to do them but really sent them elsewhere most of the time. If they were good customers , we would do it once in a while, but some folks will never buy something no matter how much money you take off. They arent really customers anyway. Again this really depends on the amount of traffic. We did an average weekday of $15k-$20 and weekends were $40k+ a day. Doing transfers got in the way.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#26]
If it is a "private sale" then no percentage should apply.

I do "transfers" for $25 and part of that goes to cover what FDLE charges me. It is not MY "deal" and I am only the receiving agent. I'm not here to make money from "your deal" I am only charging for a service.

Now if you are trying to buy at FFL prices from an FFL distributor that is another matter entirely. Won't do that for any price. I sell "new guns" at a price about halfway between my dealer price and suggested retail. I think that is more than fair.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
IBSA

Cool I have my own acronym.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#28]
How much does the FDLE charge you? My FFL does them for 10 bucks and I'm starting to feel guilty. Maybe I'll start tipping.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#29]

The state here charges the FFL $11 for the backround check. I pay $20. They make $9 on the deal.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#30]
The average for storefront FFLs in California seems to be about $100/transfer.

They want to "encourage" buying new from them.

Even sob stories like "but I'm trying to get my girlfriend into handguns and she really wants this one" doesn't work. "Sorry, buy it new from me for $50 more than it would cost to transfer this used one"

Damn it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Shit 10% over cost is the markup the local store charges for their exhisting stock. Transfers should be a flat fee.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
How much does the FDLE charge you? My FFL does them for 10 bucks and I'm starting to feel guilty. Maybe I'll start tipping.

Not every state charges for call ins. Most states are NICS states where the call is free.

My state pretty much just calls NICS for me and charges me to do so.

The rest is for the service of maintaining the 4473 for 20 years.

Buy your FFL a Coke and call it even.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#33]
we charge $25
We don't get alot of transfers maybe 3-4 a week
I do get about 2 guys a month with the i want to buy this at wholesale  and you just charge me the trans fee
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
IBSA

LMAO!  

Did you check the SGN list?  $20 should be the going rate.  There are still a few kitchen table dealers left if you are willing to drive.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:53:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Transfers should be a flat fee.

why? becuase you say so? last I checked there is nothing that says a FFL HAS to do a transfer, they do it as a service, and set their own price,  they have to log the rifle in, do the background check and log it out........don't like it, shop around for one that has a flat rate, or get a FFL.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:03:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Yea mine is the same.

$10 with coffee and donuts
$20 without

FREE

Quoted:
My local FFL does mine for free because I always call before I come and ask if he wants me to bring him some lunch or a milkshake.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
A flat fee of $25 is what I expected.

The draw back here is there are no gun shops in a town of 100,000+, but tons of pawn shops. They have the FFL's here.

Looks like you need to open your own shop.    Under sell these guys.  If they are like the guy described they won't have an FFL too long.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:21:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good luck.

You just saved me at least $25 on my next purchase!  I didn't realize that existed.  The local gun store wants a flat $50, no matter what you are buying.  No thanks.

I just might have to think about ponying up for a membership after my next purchase with the savings!

I found a local, small time dealer using gunbroker.com's FFL finder.  My first few transfers were $25 but now he only charges $20  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:35:00 AM EDT
[#39]
I had the same issue.  I located a P99 from CDNN at $400.  The gun shop that I've been loyal to, couldn't figure out why I didn't want to come in and buy the same gun from them for $575.  I have no problem supporting my local gun shop, but I can't pass up that good of a deal (not to mention no sales tax).  It took a lot of digging, but I found a pawn shop that would do it for $30.  I actually had one place that decided they were going to charge more since its a gun they have in stock.

You can frame it how you want, but the FFL liscense is a government created regulation that allows the few that have to charge what they will for a transfer.      
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
$30 is pretty standard where I just moved from (Jacksonville). The only problem I have had is when I bought three stripped AR lowers and most wanted to charge me a transfer fee for EACH lower. So $250 worth of lowers and a $90 dollar total transfer fee. Luckily I found a guy that only charged the flat transfer fee, $35 from him, the only reason he did that was because they weren't actually "whole" firearms. I'm back in my hometown now and know our two local FFL guys so it's $20 bucks on whatever here. Too bad most of the old kitchen table FFL guys are dwindling in numbers.

My kitchen table guy left me $20 (per yellow page);
and this is what I'm dealing with now...

From Gunbroker I got two of the cheapest FFLs around:

One charged me $25 per each

2nd try said flat fee over the phone $15
But then went to pick them up, the total changed to $30
What the F***

I'm getting my own FFL Damnit
Can't afford to throw $ away to other people
and I live in TX too, so I hear ya!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
No FFLs in your area, sounds like you should get a license.

I heard that's VERY difficult nowaday's, is that true or no?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#42]
i've been known to do a transfer for an 18 pack
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
i've been known to do a transfer for an 18 pack

Case of Quisp is my standard rate of "barter."

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You got that right Tex. I miss doing business with you.

The only reason I even called this pawn shop is because I'd bought form him when I lived here four years ago. He used to sell a lot of Bushmasters, and other stuff. I used to get good deals on ammo too. The last time I was in there (a few weeks ago, before my latest "quest for my next gun" started) He was showing some teenagers an AR. I walked a little closer after they were through to see what kind it was. It was a 20" A-2 Oly, with a $1100.00 price tag!  I was just looking to see what he had, and didn't  look much. Its not like I'm a total stranger though. My wife taught both of his kids in school, and we (my wife and I) had been in there and shot the breeze a few times with him and his wife.

For now I'm going to blow off buying this pistol. I should know in a few weeks if I'll be moving back to the Gulf Coast.

I'm not going to worry though, I've got a plan. My 7 year Anniversary is next week. My wife picked out a really nice antique table and six chairs for her gift, and we bought it. The pistol is what I wanted, but since I'm "having such a hard time" getting mine, I'll just put it off until I get back to South Texas. Then the amount of time and the move will work in my favor.

I'll go after a Kimber Pro carry!!

Tex....be lookin' for me.......
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The only problem I have had is when I bought three stripped AR lowers and most wanted to charge me a transfer fee for EACH lower. So $250 worth of lowers and a $90 dollar total transfer fee. Luckily I found a guy that only charged the flat transfer fee, $35 from him, the only reason he did that was because they weren't actually "whole" firearms. I'm back in my hometown now and know our two local FFL guys so it's $20 bucks on whatever here. Too bad most of the old kitchen table FFL guys are dwindling in numbers.

Each weapon is more work for the dealer. Why SHOULDN'T they charge per weapon?I think my rates are pretty reasonable, but yeah, I charge per weapon.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#46]

It's about time they allow the transfer work to be done by the shipper and allow him to ship your new gun to your door. We need to do away with the middleman.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#47]
It seems ridiculous that the law has altered interstate commerce in a such a way as to force consumers to pay premiums for a simple transaction.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh but your not allowed to get an FFL for personal reasons.  You have to attempt to make a profit and spend some time doing so.  Easier in the long run to find someone locally or drive a bit.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
It seems ridiculous that the law has altered interstate commerce in a such a way as to force consumers to pay premiums for a simple transaction.

Better than having weapons being transferred sight unseen without any controls between complete strangers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh but your not allowed to get an FFL for personal reasons.  You have to attempt to make a profit and spend some time doing so.  Easier in the long run to find someone locally or drive a bit.  

I had no intention of getting it for personal reasons.  I just want to be in the glamorous business of firearms sales (after boot/ait ofcourse.)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top