Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 5:08:34 PM EDT
Well, It ends up that some of my current and former students are ace knifemakers.  Here is a link to some of their work.

Garret is a college junior.  David is a sophomore.  Older brother is in med. school.  (taught him too).

Home schooled; yes sir, yes ma'am types.  Nicest, best raised kids you could ever meet.

customknifegallery.com/dwhite1f.html

customknifegallery.com/gwhite1f.html

Wutcha think?

Edit:  Posted in General Forum as I see this as a general interest story.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a really cool Phsysics/Football coach in highschool how makes his own Damascus knifes, along with being a total badass Blackbelt body builder outdoorsman hunter dude. He even finished of a deer that he shot with a knife while the deer was running. He got up to it and it got up he jumped on it and it took of  then he slit its troat while riding/dragged by it. I know some of you will say its BS but if you knew him and some other insane things he has done would question him.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had the money to but parts to make a forge I would make all kinds of knives.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice work. They'll make bank if they start cranking out the "tactical" stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:39:01 AM EDT
[#5]
btt/daycrew
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice work.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Both are good, but that second is downright bitchin'
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm still trying to figure out which ARFCOM member made this knife so I can see if he'd be interested in making a second.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#10]
If you go back to the mid seventies and compare the hand-crafted
knives then with those being made today....No comparison.

Today's makers are light years ahead of many of the very best
of thirty years ago.   It's not  about the materials either. It's about the
quality of work.

There are a lot of makers offering outstanding knives in the two-three
hundred dollar range.  That means, any maker who charges more-and gets it-
must be offering superlative work. It's a competative business.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If I had the money to but parts to make a forge I would make all kinds of knives.

Forges are extremely cheap to build  -- it won't be any fancy propane or natural gas fueled forge, but its not hard at all to build one to burn coal or charcoal.  IIRC a google search for "anvilfire" should turn up some simple plans.

FWIW, I built one for a friend, he ended up spending a total of $15 on stuff because he didn't want to take the time to scrounge parts and just bought new stuff.

I've got about $50 into mine, and it works OK as a forge, but was really designed as a furnace for melting aluminum, so it naturally works better for that.

Edited because I can't spell
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top