Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/31/2005 5:16:51 AM EDT
Hopefully not a dupe, but thought it worthy of a new topic:

In Uptown, one the few areas that remained dry, a bearded man patrolled Oak Street near the boarded-up Maple Leaf Bar, a sawed-off shotgun slung over his shoulder. The owners of a hardware store sat in folding chairs, pistols at the ready.

Uptown resident Keith Williams started his own security patrol, driving around in his Ford pickup with his newly purchased handgun. Earlier in the day, Williams said he had seen the body of a gunshot victim near the corner of Leonidas and Hickory streets.

"What I want to know is why we don’t have paratroopers with machine guns on every street," Williams said.

Like-minded Art Depodesta sat on the edge of a picnic table outside Cooter Brown’s Bar, a chrome shotgun at his side loaded with red shells.

"They broke into the Shell station across the street," he said. "I walked over with my 12-gauge and shot a couple into the air."

The looters scattered, but soon after, another man appeared outside the bar in a pickup truck armed with a pistol and threatened Depodesta.

"I told him, ‘Listen, I was in the Army and I will blow your ass off,’" Depodesta said. "We’ve got enough trouble with the flood."

The man sped away.

"You know what sucks," Depodesta said. "The whole U.S. is looking at this city right now, and this is what they see."

In the Bywater, a supply store sported spray-painted signs reading "You Loot, I Shoot" and "You Bein Watched." A man seated nearby with a rifle in his lap suggested it was no idle threat. At the Bywater studio of Dr. Bob, the artist known for handpainted "Be Nice or Leave" signs, a less fanciful sentiment was painted on the wall: "Looters Will Be Shot. Dr. Bob."

www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_08.html

"Chrome shotgun" sounds like a 870 Mariner or similar. Probably a good choice for the conditions.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

In Uptown, one the few areas that remained dry, a bearded man patrolled Oak Street near the boarded-up Maple Leaf Bar, a sawed-off shotgun slung over his shoulder. The owners of a hardware store sat in folding chairs, pistols at the ready.

Uptown resident Keith Williams started his own security patrol, driving around in his Ford pickup with his newly purchased handgun. Earlier in the day, Williams said he had seen the body of a gunshot victim near the corner of Leonidas and Hickory streets.

"What I want to know is why we don’t have paratroopers with machine guns on every street," Williams said.

Like-minded Art Depodesta sat on the edge of a picnic table outside Cooter Brown’s Bar, a chrome shotgun at his side loaded with red shells.

"They broke into the Shell station across the street," he said. "I walked over with my 12-gauge and shot a couple into the air."

The looters scattered, but soon after, another man appeared outside the bar in a pickup truck armed with a pistol and threatened Depodesta.

"I told him, ‘Listen, I was in the Army and I will blow your ass off,’" Depodesta said. "We’ve got enough trouble with the flood."

The man sped away.

"You know what sucks," Depodesta said. "The whole U.S. is looking at this city right now, and this is what they see."

In the Bywater, a supply store sported spray-painted signs reading "You Loot, I Shoot" and "You Bein Watched." A man seated nearby with a rifle in his lap suggested it was no idle threat. At the Bywater studio of Dr. Bob, the artist known for handpainted "Be Nice or Leave" signs, a less fanciful sentiment was painted on the wall: "Looters Will Be Shot. Dr. Bob."

www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/index.ssf?/mtlogs/nola_Times-Picayune/archives/2005_08.html

Words of a genius.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep. The RKBA sure is worthless in this modern age of law and order!

Shoot 'em. Buzzards gotta eat, too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:20:13 AM EDT
[#3]
you bein watched....

heh heh
w00t!
teh cool
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Good long range target practice opportunity.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"Chrome shotgun" sounds like a 870 Mariner or similar. Probably a good choice for the conditions.

Or a Chrome Coach gun with bird shot!  That would be tight in a SHTF!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#6]

And so do the sharks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#7]
My gun guy has a full auto bb gun.  Wonder what it would do to a looter at 5 yards.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:26:58 AM EDT
[#8]

don't these people know that the 2nd amendment is outdated...?

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The man sped away.

Words of a genius.

+1.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe paratroopers was the wrong word, but his question is still valid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#11]
And loaded with red shells!  You know he's serious if he broke out the RED ones!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Oh, I know what I see. But if you say anything, I or anyone else  would be called a racist.

There is to many "PC" folks on this site.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Good to hear there are a few armed folks down there taking care of business, though some of them don't exactly sound like the sharpest tactical minds I've ever came across.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You mean..................sharks?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Good to see that some folks still know their ass from a hole in the ground.

These folks need to start taking care of themselves. Nobody else is going to do it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean..................sharks?

Pick a predator.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Wish I had a 81 mm to send them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My gun guy has a full auto bb gun.  Wonder what it would do to a looter at 5 yards.

Really piss him off!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Nothing beats the Hurricane Andrew documentary with the 12 yo girl sitting in a lawn chair with the street sweeper.  Reporter/interviewer asks her "Is that a real gun?" Little girl says "Yep, and these are real bullets" holding out a handfull of shells.

This is what SHTF is about folks, 1*, you have to be able to be responsible for your own self. Gov't can't help you on a scale like this. In FL, the Governer can call up the citizen militia, I'd hope that in LA, MS, & AL has the same rule of law and will consider if neccessary.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Who needs the Paratroopers with machineguns?  We should be able to handle things like this.  Granted, thats what we pay taxes for, but still.  This is what I like to see, less help from the gov, and more people doing the right thing.  Imagine that, social and moral courage.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The only thing I would add to this thread is that the bullet-riddled bodies of looters should be hung in plain view with signs around their necks that say "CAUGHT LOOTING."
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really piss him off!

I want one in .22, and a big bottle of Nitrogen/CO2/ or argon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:42:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really piss him off!

It'd be fun though.  Find a wounded looter, and in plain sight of more,  put a burst into (onto?) him every so often to warn the others off. lol  God I'm sick.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:43:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Well, Gov. Blanco, according to Michelle Malkin, is going to ask President Bush for Federal troops to be sent to NOLA. The NOLA police apparently can't handle it (or in some cases apparently won't). USS Bataan is on her way I heard for SAR work. I do not know if her Marines are aboard.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or a Chrome Coach gun with bird shot!  That would be tight in a SHTF!

Isn't a Mariner a Mossberg?

Maybe it is an 870 Marine Magnum with an electroless Nickel finish?

Either way it is a good choice!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, Gov. Blanco, according to Michelle Malkin, is going to ask President Bush for Federal troops to be sent to NOLA. The NOLA police apparently can't handle it (or in some cases apparently won't). USS Bataan is on her way I heard for SAR work. I do not know if her Marines are aboard.

Impressive.  You can't handle a bunch of guys walking around in broad daylignt stealing stuff?  Who are mostly cowards and unarmed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
And loaded with red shells!  You know he's serious if he broke out the RED ones!!!

Dude... the red ones hurt more then the green ones. Plus they look more scary......
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#31]

In Uptown, one the few areas that remained dry, a bearded man patrolled Oak Street near the boarded-up Maple Leaf Bar, a sawed-off shotgun slung over his shoulder.

NFA violation, 10 years in Club Fed
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

In Uptown, one the few areas that remained dry, a bearded man patrolled Oak Street near the boarded-up Maple Leaf Bar, a sawed-off shotgun slung over his shoulder.

A reporter said it.  Nuff said.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#33]
In a real world SHTF scenario.....looters will be the true enemy......

That said.....light em up!!!

"I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it." - Lonesome Dove
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I do not know if her Marines are aboard.

fixed it for you.    
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Another thought.  Because of all the people that refused to leave, and now are doing this,  I say the ones that refuse to leave during the evac get shot on the way out.  If a single rescuer dies then they all deserve it.   When your told that the world is coming to an end and you'll probably die if you don't leave, and you don't leave,  then you don't need to be in public anyway.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#36]
2nd Amendment...we don't need no stinking 2nd Amendment...the Police will protect everybody there is no reason for gun ownership...you will just hurt yourself and injure family members!

I wonder how the liberal media and liberals in general are going to feel about gun ownership once word gets out about people using firearms legitimately to protect personnel property?

Oh, I forgot...probably the same way they handled it when reporting on the LA riots and Hurricane Andrew...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Another thought.  Because of all the people that refused to leave, and now are doing this,  I say the ones that refuse to leave during the evac get shot on the way out.  If a single rescuer dies then they all deserve it.   When your told that the world is coming to an end and you'll probably die if you don't leave, and you don't leave,  then you don't need to be in public anyway.

Garrantee names and addresses are being taken after they are rescued.  Me thinks they will see a nice bill in the mail and possibly a summons to appear in court after this has settled down...

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

anything less than 28" is sawed-off
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I think it is more like 18
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:08:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize that to all reporters all shotguns are "Sawed Off", I have known that for years.  But who is Nuff and why does he say so much?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:10:22 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually the whole world is looking on and are seeing the widespread looting…

Your friends are shocked, but your enemies are rubbing their hands in glee at the propaganda coup they are being handed.

ANdy

So what?  What the fuck can anyone do about it?   Where has lawlessness not followed a disaster that empties a city.  Sad.... you bet, but that's people.  

I'm sure Iran has a statement buring up press kits right now on another disaster brought on the infidel and his animal-like countrymen by the all powerful Alah.  

Death to the Satin!   Alah Akbar!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Last year during Hurricane Ivan, my neighborhood was hit hard because we had so many tall southern pines (6 on my house, 20+ in the yard).

Being on a cul-de-sac, we started seeing many faces that were not recognized "surveying" the damage. My wife and I kept a AK74 type with a 30 rounder attached and a Remington 870 at the ready. I understand completely how these people feel.

I wouldn't have had any problem shooting looters.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I think it is more like 18

Yeah usually 18.25 to be safe.  I bought an 18 inch barrel shotgun for myself for christmas.  Brand new.  Got stolen 5 hours later.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

That is reporter speak for:  Pistol grip and forward grip on the pump.  Everyone thinks my PG Mossy is sawed-off too, it aint.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

"I told him, ‘Listen, I was in the Army and I will blow your ass off,’" quote]

I'll have to try saying that in combination with racking my shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Some citizens finally deciding to shoot back at looters

Excellent. I hope that curtails some of the looting.

The guy's right, the world is watching and NOLA is not passing muster.

(Of course if anything big happens in Detroit you're going to see looting on a much larger scale. Cripes nothing's happened and it's practically a looting situation now...)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#49]

citizens finally deciding to shoot back at looters
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent. I hope that curtails some of the looting.

The guy's right, the world is watching and NOLA is not passing muster.

(Of course if anything big happens in Detroit you're going to see looting on a much larger scale. Cripes nothing's happened and it's practically a looting situation now...)

Not much in Detroit to loot!  They would have to fight their way into the mostly white burbs to get the good stuff.  In that case, you would see looters getting shot.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

The man sped away.

You watch, at some point the local leo's will come and crack down on them instead of the looters.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top