Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 7:27:51 PM EDT
And he wrecked the ignition trying.  I have an '82 Oldsmobile.  I leave it unlocked because, well, it's a crap car and there's nothing of value in it anyway.

I walk out to my vehicle this morning, and the ignition lock is lying on the ground in front of the driver's door. It had been snapped off.  Lots of prying marks on the steering column's case as well.  

I got out to see if there was any more damage. Aside from the hood ornament being torn off, nothing.  One of my screwdrivers the thieves had used to pry at the steering column was in the snow.  Put it in a baggie for the cops, who I called and reported this incident to.  There had been a rash of car vandalism all over town the night before, and I was one of many victims I guess.

Anyway, I was busy with other stuff and now I'm sitting down and trying to figure out how to repair the ignition.  The steering lock's snapped off, and the key won't enter all the way into the ignition anymore.

Is it possible to replace the whole lock and ignition system?  I was thinking of jerry rigging some sort of push-button toggle ignition and just locking the door from now on.  

This car isn't exactly a prize possession and is barely worth the trouble it causes me just owning it (awful gas mileage, handles terribly on snow and ice, acts as involuntary contraception) so if it costs me more than $200, I'm not real interested in fixing it.

Do you think I can manage to unlock the steering lock and override the key ignition system? Anyone have any experience doing this?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I was thinking of jerry rigging some sort of push-button toggle ignition and just locking the door from now on.
View Quote

If you think we're going to help you steal your neighbors 82 Oldsmobile, FORGET IT!! [:)]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Come on, I'm serious as a heart attack here. And I am not exactly a second-story man.  I dont know how to hotwire cars or unlock steering wheels.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Set it on fire tonight and claim the same people came back........collect the insurance.

KIDDING
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Lightning. I thought it was feasible.  

I think I'll install an anti-theft device since I'll no longer have a wheel lock or need a key.  Maybe a pipebomb you have to disconnect from the ignition circuit before starting the car. [devil]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You just need to remeber that anybody who pushes the button will be able to start your car and the steering wheel will turn freely.
View Quote

Friend of mine had an old Caravan that didn't require a key to start.  He even left his doors unlocked.  Many times he would come to the commuter parking lot (college) to find that one of us had moved his vehicle.

Sorry to hear about your car, raven, even if it is a pos.  Someone cut my Wrangler window the other day, and took (get this) my county (tax) sticker and a pair of gloves.  Guess that pesky Jeep window zipper was too hard to use, so they cut the window to unlock the front door.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, my brother thinks one of his enemies did it (he and I live together). The vandalism spree was on the other side of town, and they smashed windows with tire irons.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]
That"ll teach ya!

Next time get a DECENT car so they'll at least try harded to steal it and you can collect some insurance!

That sucks, actually
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Well hindsight is 20/20, but you probably should have used some anti-theft device as the late '70's and early '80's Oldsmobiles have always been high on the theft-o-meter, even to this day.  The columns around the ignition switch are mostly plastic and easily broken into.

I have people coming up all the time asking if they can buy my parents Olds or my Olds, even though both have a little rust behind the chrome at the door bottoms and the paint is faded.

I bought a Club in a bargain bin one time, and though I realize they can be cut or the steering wheel itself, it can deter [i]some[/i] juvenile delinquents.  I also now have one of those battery disconnects and I got a steering column lock made of steel that is hinged and goes around the whole column with holes in it for the ignition switch and turn signal.  I got that after a member here told me they were available at JC Whitney.  Can't find it on the site for a link right now though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Can you see if there's something jammed in where the key goes?  Something you might be able to get out with a piece of piano wire with a small hook or "el" bent into the end.

Then the other thing is, where the key goes, is there a housing that turns with the key?  If so, look around there for a small hole that is about the size of a straightened-out paper clip.

If you find such a hole, it most likely is for removing / replacing the lock.  

I did the lock replacement on my truck after the key broke off in it, and it wasn't as bad as I expected.

The steering lock may be a different matter.

Are you saying you tried to put the lock back in?

While my vehicle was a Ford, if you can describe what you find (small hole or not, etc.) I could look in my old repair manual & give you a general description of the process.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#13]
You should be able to get a new locking mechanism from an auto parts store. Then all you have to do is pull the wheel, and change out the cylinder. It will come with a new key, but be good as new. I had to do it with my jeep when my keys were stolen. It took like 30 minutes and was pretty simple to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top