Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 10:45:48 PM EDT
Just picked this up at a show - Nazi proofmarked, no pings, a couple of matching numbers, blue in Very Good shape (80%) , laminated stock in NRA Good, barrel in NRA Good with deep rifling but frosted bore.

Receiver is byf 45 and SN starts with an "a," meaning it was born in Feb '45 at the Mauser Oberndorf (sp?) werk, stock bears "TRZ," meaning the gun was reworked at a Yugoslav weapons facility "Zavod" after the war. Interestingly, it has a milled front band with the same S/N as the receiver - if it was a VK, it would have had a turned down MG barrel and a shorty stock, and a stamped front band.

Waffenamts abound on this piece, with no strikeouts.

I'll headspace and put some rounds through it this weekend.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Headspacing is for the weak of faith. The true C&R aficionado does a shot from the hip, with a friend standing nearby (but not too near) with a band-aid and 911 on speed dial.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Headspacing is for the weak of faith. The true C&R aficionado does a shot from the hip, with a friend standing nearby (but not too near) with a band-aid and 911 on speed dial.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just silly, silly. Silly, but the likeliest thing that's going to happen. Just hafta find a place to sets mah beer...

BlAm!

She shore shoots a'goodun!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to take that thing bunny blasting!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Aint that the truth
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice Mauser 98. I have two of them a 42 model and a 45 model. All original markings. I shot both of them and they shoot all right.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice K98.  I'm waiting to come across a deal on a bringback..it'll happen, I just have to be patient.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Are these worth it? I know of one for sale for 85 bucks. It has German marking on it as well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Are these worth it? I know of one for sale for 85 bucks. It has German marking on it as well.

$85?

Unless the barrel is completly FUBAR or something like that, it is a steal. Jump on it. IIRC K98s are running around 200.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:27:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I've a buddy with his C&R. He LOVES the old stuff. Now, this is a bright guy...Army CPT and M.D. but.....every once in a while he'd take his "new" relics to the range to "try them out." He would wrap the action part of the rifle in a kevlar vest just in case he had a KB. He once made the gracious offer of letting me be the first shot on a new toy. I declined. He just laughed as he wrapped it up kevlar and pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:47:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful gun....good job.  I wish I had one but my Yugo M48 will have to do.....which is pretty close to being a K98.  Damn open sights are hard to use, at least for me they are.  But  I love the kick of the thing.  After shooting 50-60 rounds I have a nice shoulder bruise.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:57:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice gun. I have a bring back from my uncle. I must have been the first to shoot it too in 60yrs because it was still in duffle cut when I got it.

The prarrie dogs by my house love it. They just die when ever I shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$85?

Unless the barrel is completly FUBAR or something like that, it is a steal. Jump on it. IIRC K98s are running around 200.

They're a lot more than that if they're real German guns that weren't Russian Capture pieces - like $650 to $1,200. The RC guns are now going for mid to high $200s, and have crappy bores (the lot that came through have already gotten picked through), refinished bluing (or, God forbid, paint), typical Russian shellacked stocks, mismatched parts with electropencil forced matching, etc.

I hear that the guns with great bores were great shooters, and I have also heard that the guns with average bores are still nowhere near as innaccurate as you'd think they'd be - the refinishers apparently did a solid job of making the guns work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
snip
The prarrie dogs by my house love it. They just die when ever I shoot it.

Bahhh HAAA HAAA!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice!  I love those rifles, I own 7 and one of them is a byf '44.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top