Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 9:21:23 AM EDT
Or whatever you call it Since my lens broke, I'm having to learn about manual focus.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool, I love the black and white.

2nd pick kicks ass.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Second pic is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I love the effects.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I love that AK.  And I love black and white - that's always been my photographic background
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm trying to learn if there's anyway to manually focus on multiple points, or if I'm just stuck with very specific areas.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Now if you couls somehow incorporate a sexy biotch into it.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#7]
beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now if you couls somehow incorporate a sexy biotch into it.....

I'd like to, as well
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Great detail.  I love B&W.

Not sure what type of lens, but if it has a depth of field chart on it, you can determine how much will be in focus.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not sure what type of lens, but if it has a depth of field chart on it, you can determine how much will be in focus.

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about cameras, it's a Rebel XTI is all I know haha but I'm learning as I go along. I can figure out the required distance for things to be in focus, but not much else haha
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Was that rifle thrown down a driveway?  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Was that rifle thrown down a driveway?  

No... but I don't think it would hurt it much
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Or whatever you call it Since my lens broke, I'm having to learn about manual focus.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/feldmarschel/sightnetakwh.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/feldmarschel/akwoodfornet.jpg

Sexy Avtomat Kalashnikova!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#14]
2nd pic rawks!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about cameras, it's a Rebel XTI is all I know haha but I'm learning as I go along. I can figure out the required distance for things to be in focus, but not much else haha

The Depth of Field is determined by Subject Distance, Aperture and Focal Length.
Increasing FL results in decreased DOF.
Conversely, Reducing A results in greater DOF.

Focus exists at a theoretical point in space and it's plane is parallel to the film (sensor) plane.
(lenses and cameras exist that allow for non-parallel adjustment of the lens board and film plane.)
However, the area within a "circle of confusion" is perceived as in focus.

DOF and critical focus can be determined mathematically by formulae and established by physical measurement.
This is done frequently in motion picture cinematography and macro photography.

In a SLR, one can simply preview through the lens to visualize DOF.
Most 35mm SLR's have an aperture preview setting that looks through the selected aperture rather than a wide open one (the default for the viewfinder).
Some DSLR's have this feature too. Use it if you have it.

The rule of thumb is that DOF extends 1/3 in front of the focal plane and 2/3's behind it.
Barring the math, that is your take-home lesson.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Really nice!

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Depth of Field is determined by Subject Distance, Aperture and Focal Length.
Increasing FL results in decreased DOF.
Conversely, Reducing A results in greater DOF.

Focus exists at a theoretical point in space and it's plane is parallel to the film (sensor) plane.
(lenses and cameras exist that allow for non-parallel adjustment of the lens board and film plane.)
However, the area within a "circle of confusion" is perceived as in focus.

DOF and critical focus can be determined mathematically by formulae and established by physical measurement.
This is done frequently in motion picture cinematography and macro photography.

In a SLR, one can simply preview through the lens to visualize DOF.
Most 35mm SLR's have an aperture preview setting that looks through the selected aperture rather than a wide open one (the default for the viewfinder).
Some DSLR's have this feature too. Use it if you have it.

The rule of thumb is that DOF extends 1/3 in front of the focal plane and 2/3's behind it.
Barring the math, that is your take-home lesson.

Huh... thanks for that. I'm trying to learn a bit about it all before biting the bullet and getting a new lens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top