Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 9:17:28 AM EDT
What are some the best/better soldering iron models available?
I was looking at a few 100W units but need something that can melt solder very quickly but also work well as a general purpose soldering iron (not for intricate semiconductors).
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I do a lot of automotive wiring work. I actually prefer the butane powered mini-torches. They heat up instantly, heat up the wires much faster, work much better on shrink-wrap insulation, and turn off the gas and they are cool again. I wouldn't get the $14.95 one from HF though, there are some nice ones out there that are shaped like pens and are very easy to use.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Purpose of this visit iron?
Hobby stuff like crafts or electrical stuff?
I personally do a lot of electronics and I use a 90 watt PACE soldering station like this one.

It's heats up pretty quick (within 2 minutes) and does a hell of a better job at soldering big ass copper lugs terminals than my Weller POS gun.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a Pace or Weller with adjustable wattage.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#4]
It will be used mostly for hobbies, wiring, electronics / GP stuff, and automotive wiring.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't go wrong with either the Pace or the Weller pictured above.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can't go wrong with either the Pace or the Weller pictured above.

yup, I do some auto work for the stereo guys and the solder stations work fine in there. Less chance of burning seats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top