Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 6:30:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Next question:

if said software exists, should a copy be available to all arfcom team members, for our own good?

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Pass Word does what you ask

how lazy can a person be ???
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#7]
"the other parent uses the computer and sometimes undermines the efforts of my friend by letting the son know the PW"

There's your problem...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A friend of mine has a son that is on the Internet all day (home school) without permission.  He has been told to stay offline, but, when backs are turned, he is back online.

Mostly just online computer gaming.  I have offered a few simple solutions (pw on the screensaver, unplugging the phone line, etc.), but the other parent uses the computer and sometimes undermines the efforts of my friend by letting the son know the PW.

Is there any software available that will restirct access during certain times of the day?  Maybe 10am-4pm (when the parents are at work and the son is unattended).

The problem is not where the son is going (I told him about screenshot programs, key loggers, etc.) but the simple fact that the soon is using the machine when he is supposed to be completing schoolwork, doing chores.

I know it is a parenting issue.  However, is there a way to put more control on the system without affecting the other parent's access?

Is there was a way that the system would just 'appear' to be dysfunctional during the day, so my buddy could play dumb, without the other parent realizing controls have been installed...?

TRG

Just to clarify:

You're looking for an app that with control access based on login name and time of day, correct?

IE - johndoe can logon only between 8pm -9pm on mon, wed, fri.

ETA - you could try the demo of this and see if it meets their needs: Watchdog PC

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Netgear makes DSL routers such as the FR114P which allows you to set a schedule, day of week, time of day when connections are allowed/not allowed. I use one because my daughter was getting up in the middle of the night to IM her friends. Works like a charm. Just make sure they change the default password on the router so he can't change the schedule.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top