Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 5:37:39 PM EDT
Thinking about getting one, any suggestions or other recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and love it. Its very very accurate, shoots good handles good, very very very compact weapon for what it is.  I might get an aimpoint for mine but i shoot so well with it as is that i dont wanna really mess with it.

Erick Z
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#2]
if you don't mind me asking about how much did you pay for yours? I see them listed for upwards of $1,700.00 but I am hoping to get one for about 15.  Again thanks for the reply, I have been reading about it in the Peterson's Rifle shooter Mag and it preview on the guns and ammo show on tv. They shot one and also it has been a steady topic about the 223 and 308 in the middle east. There is a kit for the navy for their m14's and I have just be thinking why since these rifles are so old we are seemingly going back to them.. Like the warthog or A-10 in desert storm...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I just bought one on Sunday and I paid $1319.
Can't wait to shoot it
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#4]
just dont plan on shooting it at night with that stupid compensater on it, and keeping your eyesight/vision

its "mil-spec" without a flash hider on a  16"  7.62x51mm rifle alright
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
if you don't mind me asking about how much did you pay for yours? I see them listed for upwards of $1,700.00 but I am hoping to get one for about 15.  

Cabelas has them for sub-$1500.

SBG
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmmm...I got a DSA FAL STG58 instead. It costs half as much, magazines are $5/piece, there are tons of aftermarket parts, more reliable action and looks waaay meaner.

Did I also mention that I can now get a Para-Congo conversion kit for the FAL? I just dont see the attraction with the SOCOM16. By the way, SOCOM doenst use this rifle so I dont know why they named it after them. FALS ARE used by Spec-Ops teams around the world, including the SAS. Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#8]
but he's asking about the SOCOM16
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hmmmm...I got a DSA FAL STG58 instead. It costs half as much, magazines are $5/piece, there are tons of aftermarket parts, more reliable action and looks waaay meaner.

Did I also mention that I can now get a Para-Congo conversion kit for the FAL? I just dont see the attraction with the SOCOM16. By the way, SOCOM doenst use this rifle so I dont know why they named it after them. FALS ARE used by Spec-Ops teams around the world, including the SAS. Go figure.

Last time I checked, he wasn't asking about FALs, genius.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He also asked for a recomendation; mine was get a FAL. Got a problem with that? Then fuck off asswipe. Sorry the answer didnt fit into your narrow minded little world retard.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thinking about getting one, any suggestions or other recommendations?

I don't particularly like the short barrel myself but here is a thread full of guys that might give you another opinion.

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=388877

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[trollbustermode on]

He didn't ask about FAL's but he did ask

"Thinking about getting one, any suggestions or other recommendations?"

[/trollbuster mode off]

Last time I looked at his post it looked like another recommendation and a heck of a good one if I might add!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#13]
FAL Carbine would get my vote for a 16" .308.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#14]

I have a Socom and really like it. 1 range trip so far, 60 rds of SA R1, no probs right out of the box.
It's my first .308.
I looked at FALs/clones and decided there were too many ways to get hosed on a bad clone, like I did on my Garand.
Maybe after I educate myself more on FAL's I will look into getting one.
For now,  I am going to have fun learning to shoot the Socom, along with improving with my AR's.

DaddyDett
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top