Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/14/2011 3:54:14 PM EDT
A crate full of exotic rifles... think original Sig 550 series rifles.  They are semi-auto, the serials are not defaced, the barrels are of legal length... the rifles are 100% compliant with the law.  You found them on public land.  They were not accidentally left here, somebody took some care to hide them.  Being as they are on public land, it is not like you could track down the property owner... well technically you are the property owner if you want to pick nits.

What do you do?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What guns?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't find any guns?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the proper course of action would be to secure said dangerous items for public safety, and then check with local law enforcement to ensure that the serial numbers do not match any reports of stolen firearms.

Sometimes I don't always follow the proper course of action

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
make sure a big mexican doesnt come looking for me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Take them and have fun.  Yay!  New guns!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#6]
What guns?

All I found was an empty hole in the ground.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What guns?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
make sure a big mexican doesnt come looking for me.

or just look for some sort of transmitter from the 80s
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd probably leave a note saying "I know you are an arfcommer, so post a call out thread in The Pit.  Winner keeps the guns.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Not mine, then I don't mess with them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What guns?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What guns?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#13]

I hide in plain sight with my tactical crisp packet ghillie suit, and wait for them to turn up.

If they are godless commie bastards, bayonet charge them with my racing spoon. If they are pikeys, I offer to trade one and some ammo for a used caravan.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#14]
The one thing I wouldn't do is notify the authoritays!

I'd almost certainly leave them, or cover them a little better, then walk away.

The only reason I would take them is if for some reason I was convinced they were left for nefarious purposes. ie terrorists, someone looking to create mayhem in my AO, that sort of thing. But I would have to be convinced of that likelihood.

I wouldn't bother with the authoritays though. Probably just keep 'em for themselves anyhow and judging by the way one them blathers on here it might merely be turning them over to the Enemy.

One thing to take note of, however, would be a concealed game camera or something along those lines. Sure something to think about.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#15]
make some cash by selling them to the local gun buy back.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow. 90% would take them?

Damn, you guys aren't trustworthy at all. No shit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Stake out the place
look for game cameras or any other type of monitoring of the location

lose them all in a boating accident
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd leave'em be.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Something left hidden on non-private property is pretty much abandoned... we're not talking about walking down the street and finding a wallet.  We're talking about firearms hidden on public land, nobody lost them by accident.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Run screaming like a little girl.  Guns are icky!  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I tend to keep abandoned and unclaimed items of value that I find.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Who's forest are we talking about here?

Seems to me the honest thing to do would be to notify the owner.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been called a lot of things over the years, but "nit-picker"wasn't one of them.

what guns were we talkng about, again?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I believe the proper course of action would be to secure said dangerous items for public safety, and then check with local law enforcement to ensure that the serial numbers do not match any reports of stolen firearms.

Sometimes I don't always follow the proper course of action  

Yep, but check for booby traps first.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What guns?

All I found was an empty hole in the ground.

You're lucky...I didn't even find a hole in the ground.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Excuse me, I never got the crate. Can you drop off another one?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I saw an empty hole back yonder, not sure what guns you mean, mister.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Who's forest are we talking about here?

Seems to me the honest thing to do would be to notify the owner.

Did you bother to read the OP?  Public land.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Mind my own business -
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something left hidden on non-private property is pretty much abandoned... we're not talking about walking down the street and finding a wallet.  We're talking about firearms hidden on public land, nobody lost them by accident.

They weren't leaving them there as a donation to the next jackleg that happens through the woods either.

Aint none of my business, and I'd do my best to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Keep them and give one to every one of my family and friends for Shit Hit The Fan situations.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I tend to keep abandoned and unclaimed items of value that I find.  

No doubt.

Taking shit that doesn't belong to you is called stealing.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't have your guns.

This post is not the way "to go about" getting your guns back.

Leave me alone.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Poll Fail.

Need option for "Take 'em; advise authorities; and run ad in newspaper in attempt to locate owner."

If they identify, then return them and refuse reward.

If no one claims them, follow state law for abandoned property.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Lol yup. See if there's a transmitter. I don't feel like playing heads or tails with Anton.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#37]
The first thing I wouldn't do is post about it online.

Remember the  "I found a Thompson in an old farm house" thread ?...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I thought the answer would be obvious guys- I'd take them to Mexico to sell them... That's how they get there you know  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know if I'd want to deal with SIGs Customer Service.  I'd probably leave them there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not "abandoned".
The OP makes it clear that they appear to have been stashed or cached.

They aren't "YOURS".

Well, if nothing else, this thread lowers my already low opinion of humans with regards to ethics, morality and decency. Sometimes I am left to wonder if I am a different species. I sure don't have much in common with monkeys.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#41]
You have to call the police and report them. If not I believe they can charge you with theft by finding. If you report them and no one claims them with proof after 30 days they are yours.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Well, if nothing else, this thread lowers my already low opinion of humans with regards to ethics, morality and decency. Sometimes I am left to wonder if I am a different species. I sure don't have much in common with monkeys.

And on that bombshell, I suggest you log out. And never login again.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#43]
As I am not in the habit of taking things that do not belong to me, probably just leave them alone.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Technically it's considered "treasure trove" (intentionally hidden property) under common law and would likely belong to whoever finds it if the original owner does not make any sort of claim.  I think under the law if you did something considered reasonable to allow the original owner to make a claim.  Like leaving a note with your phone number (or at least a phone number where you could be reached, aka a burner phone), so that the original owner could contact you, then you can keep it.  I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not "abandoned".

They aren't "YOURS".

I'm guessing you have no legal right to cache weapons on public land... so if you can't legally cache them, and you left them, that leaves abandonment as to legal status.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#46]
You're having sex with a woman you picked up off the street.  During intercourse, you discover that she is actually a transexual.  Do you:

A. Pull out

B. Finish

Time is a factor.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And on that bombshell, I suggest you log out. And never login again.  

I don't come here for you, sweetcheeks. If everyone here were like you, I'd already be gone.

One is left to consider that not everyone is...well, like you, though clearly you are in the majority with regards to justifying theft if it is tempting enough.

Even Sodom had a couple of good people.....MAYBE....
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I didn't find any guns?

Great avatar!

Aviator
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They're not "abandoned".

They aren't "YOURS".

Seriously?  
I would like to sell you a bridge.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top