BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 2:16:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:20:48 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's the flu, I hope the toilet works, otherwise yes on the plumber.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked depends on how bad the repair needs to be done. thinking that if I am sick I want the important things working, like water and electric
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:36:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless I'm concerned about airborne germs, I can always wipe down door handles and whatever he (she) might touch.  I say don't cancel unless I'm too sick to get out of bed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends on how bad we need the repair. Stuff like refrigerators, water/hot water, electric, and plumbing are must haves for the family. Stove, washer/dryer, could wait a day or two. Either way I'd let whoever know I was sick and if necessary wear a mask. Let them in, let them work, no need to hover.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked depends on how bad the repair needs to be done. thinking that if I am sick I want the important things working, like water and electric
View Quote

This.

Airborne stuff, tell him to wear a flu mask.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Still need my shit fixed.

Lysol the house, Cover up, describe the problem and the problem area the get out of the way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Lysol the house, Cover up, describe the problem and the problem area the get out of the way.
View Quote
Yup, look at the poll.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, if it's shit that needs fixin right away like refrigerator, electric, etc.  

Doctors and nurses work with sick people every day.  Clean the house, put a mask on if necessary and don't hover.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a lady call me just before Christmas and needed a sewer line cleaned out.  I got over there and started cleaning it and then she texts me and says to text if I need in because she has had a virus all week and can't come out.  And here I am cleaning out her sere line that had puke and crap in it.  I was lucky that I didn't get sick....yet.  That kinda made me mad cause she could have at least warned me ahead of time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a lady call me just before Christmas and needed a sewer line cleaned out.  I got over there and started cleaning it and then she texts me and says to text if I need in because she has had a virus all week and can't come out.  And here I am cleaning out her sere line that had puke and crap in it.  I was lucky that I didn't get sick....yet.  That kinda made me mad cause she could have at least warned me ahead of time.
View Quote

So sewer lines don't normally have puke and crap in them?

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm pretty sure "don't put your fingers in your mouth" applies any time you're working in a sewer line.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]
That's over the line.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I would tell them i was sick and leave it up to them whether to risk their health performing the repair..
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Can I share my story?

My baby girl was just born and had/has some health concerns. Lady calls me up to switch her doors on her built in refrig. from wood panels to stainless steel. I am working away and I notice her kids are walking around in their PJ's. I asked the lady, "Oh, no school today?" She says "No, my kids have meningitis" WHAT THE FUCK? I blew up at her. "Your kids have meningitis and you invite people into your home? ARE YOU NUTS?"

She comes back with "Well I really needed to get this done"

Me: "It's cosmetic issues, not a functional issue, it could have waited! You better hope me or no one else in my family gets it"

Then again with this flu and cold season, we have had many customers call us telling us "We are sick, do not come. I dont want your guy getting sick"... Now that is cool.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can I share my story?

My baby girl was just born and had/has some health concerns. Lady calls me up to switch her doors on her built in refrig. from wood panels to stainless steel. I am working away and I notice her kids are walking around in their PJ's. I asked the lady, "Oh, no school today?" She says "No, my kids have meningitis" WHAT THE FUCK? I blew up at her. "Your kids have meningitis and you invite people into your home? ARE YOU NUTS?"

Me: "It's cosmetic issues, not a functional issue, it could have waited! You better hope me or no one else in my family gets it"

Then again with this flu and cold season, we have had many customers call us telling us "We are sick, do not come. I dont want your guy getting sick"... Now that is cool.

That's fucked up. No way I'd let you come in my house while I was sick for something like that. Like the rest of Arf has been saying - if it's important let them in but disinfect the house and stay away.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends on your type of sickness, depends on your working distance relationship, and depends on what needs to be done and it's critical urgency.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can I share my story?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can I share my story?

Should have had her kids vaccinated

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn't matter how bad I am, if it's the furnace, it needs to be fixed.

The dishwasher? Not so much...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The dishwasher can be fixed with a kiss and some chocolate.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:34:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Holy fuck, MENINGITIS?!

I mean, the flu or a virus is one thing, especially if the repair is urgent ("it's 110F outside and my AC isn't working", "it's -20F and my heat isn't working", "The fridge isn't working and I'm hosting a party soon", etc).  I'd call ahead and say "I'm in a different part of the house.  Bring a mask and some gloves."  Otherwise, if it wasn't actually urgent, I'd call and cancel.

I'd also show you a funny-looking spot on my leg and ask if I need to see a dermatologist.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#23]
This actually happened to me today. I was getting a new garage door installed but I just told the guys I was sick and and they worked in the garage. I put a Kuerig machne in the laundry room where you enter the house so that they could get hot coffee (Michigan is still cold outside)

In the end they knocked on the door and I handed them a check.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Depends on what needs fixing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:35:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been running service calls for many years and I've decided most people don't think about it or just don't care.

I've got one story that sticks into my mind.
I got loaned out our of town about seven years ago for three weeks. I knew that the area had recieved a bunch of rain but hadn't really thought much about it. I worked for several days in these house's basements that had got wet. I just assumed it was rain water. I finished up a job one day in this customers basement.  She was pretty chatty and told me what had been going on. She said that the area had been a flood plain and they reclassified it. Then with all the rain something happened that caused the homes in the area to flood to raw Sewage and not just rain water. She says " oh yeah it was full of sewage water. We just pumped it out. We are supposed to wear a mask and different shoes when we go down there". This was of course after I had just been in her basement for an hour.

I've had severa customers who get mad when we refuse to work in their home. Basements got a foot of water? Call us when it's fixed.  Live roaches falling from the ceiling? Call us when they are dead. Basement full of mold? Mushrooms growing out of the walls?  Sorry not going to happen. I used to be amazed people would even think to schedule a service call with these conditions but I think when they live with it every day they don't think about it.  Thankfully it doesn't come up all that often.

I do get sick people from time to time. If it's just the flu or a cold as long as they tell me I don't mind. I've had some look at me funny when I come back in wearing latex gloves but hey, it's nothing personal.  I just don't like the suprised after I've been there for an hour.

ETA: One of my coworkers was in a lady's house and heard her talking to friend about MRSA. She told her " oh yeah, I just had that". My buddy was not thrilled to hear that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top