Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 2:00:19 PM EDT
I'm trying to strip a set of rock rails right now. Whatever finish they have on them is one tough son of a bitch. I've spent the last 3 hours with brake cleaner, Castrol degeaser, gunk off, rough sand paper, and brass brushes.  I have made very little progess. Sandpaper doesnt even do much.

Will muriatic acid remove paint/primer? I'm not exactly sure what finish is on the rails. Will it damage my steel?

What will best strip the steel?

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
its hydrochloric acid and water mixed, I wouldn't do it at any dilution
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I put an old 1911 clone, that had old blueing on it, in muriatic acid once, and it completely stripped it down to smooth metal.  It was very effective - but DO NOT breathe the fumes.  Nasty stuff.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
No.  Use regular pain remover.  Muratic acid will attack metals.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Oops  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oops  

No, this is accurate, except that he meant pain 'adder'.  ComputerGuy's track record indicates that he should stay away from acids, diluted or not.

I'm still trying to figure out what rock rails are.  If they are truck parts, then take them to the sand blaster.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#7]
For those unaware, "Muriatic Acid" is better known now as Hydrochloric Acid or HCl.  Muriate is the older name for Chlorides.  Exampe, "Muriate of Potash" is Potassium Chloride aka KCl.

Acids are nothing to play with.  Actually, strong lye solutions will remove paint better than acids.

No, just use regular paint stripper.  The citric strippers work well, such as Citristrip.  Use rubber gloves, don't get this stuff on you, if you do, rinse well, rinse some more.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I've cleaned 20yr old oil stains off the driveway with it. Nasty stuff. Wear a mask and some gloves.

Or a better idea...

...have you considered sand blasting?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Bad for lungs.

Strips rust easy. If im not mistaken it doesnt touch paint.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#10]
DO NOT BREATH FUMES, it will damage your lungs easily.  There is a semi safe form that I have used in the pool business when working in enclosed spaces.  www.safe-react.com/formu_e.htm

John
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember the Zippo. Don't do it!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure what you mean by "rock rails", but you're probably dealing with powder coat paint which is baked on.  You will need aircraft grade stripper.  NAPA, other auto parts stores have it.  Now, IIRC, paint stripper is made with sodium hydroxide which, again IIRC, lye along with jelling agents, etc..  BE CAREFUL!

As mentioned, sandblasting is another option.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I worked in a hardware stores paint dept for about 10 years, every 2 or three years I'd have to change out the shelves by the muriatic acid.  Then I'd sand the RUST off the old shelves then prime and paint them.  This was from the fumes.  It would even etch some types of plastic packaging after awhile.

Give this stuff a try.

Brent
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]
i kinda like the way the yellow smoke smells.......just kiddin'
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Hot damn!!

ComputerGuy is gonna play with acid.
Film at eleven.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Paint stripper like Jasco should be used outdoors with thick rubber gloves, long sleeves, eye protection etc.

Not sure if it has methyl chloride but it's some real toxic stuff.

You mean rock rails like on the side of a Jeep?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I went to the auto parts store and all they had was a can of stuff named "Paint Stripper." The label said it was real dangerous and said it caused cancer, so I figured it must be good stuff. Didn't make a bit of difference. So I just decided to tough it out. Sandpaper and super clean are making me the best progress. I'm 9 hours in and about 2/3rds of the way done.

Rock rails: ajsoffroadarmor.com/RockRails/index.htm

I have the super square rails. Beefy.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I went to the auto parts store and all they had was a can of stuff named "Paint Stripper." The label said it was real dangerous and said it caused cancer, so I figured it must be good stuff. Didn't make a bit of difference. So I just decided to tough it out. Sandpaper and super clean are making me the best progress. I'm 9 hours in and about 2/3rds of the way done.

Rock rails: ajsoffroadarmor.com/RockRails/index.htm

I have the super square rails. Beefy.

Whoops i meant to edit not quote myself
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top