Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 12:34:08 PM EDT
Is there some problem I don’t know about that demands a piston upper to solve it?

And do any piston uppers solve this problem?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#1]
psst:  there's this group of people that we refer to as "stupid"  they think that slapping a piston on an AR will make it every bit as reliable as an AK and retain the same accuracy as an AR super match varmint rig.  best thing is: they'll pay lots of money for it!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
psst:  there's this group of people that we refer to as "stupid"  they think that slapping a piston on an AR will make it every bit as reliable as an AK and retain the same accuracy as an AR super match varmint rig.  best thing is: they'll pay lots of money for it!

So what you're saying is I should start up a business on the side making piston uppers.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well you won't be able to throw it in a mud puddle and expect to shoot, but carbon is no longer your enemy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what you're saying is I should start up a business on the side making piston uppers.

yes

Its the Cool thing to do

I mean Everyone doin it.

Its totaly awesome
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy SKS's and get a TAPCO collapsible stock adapter, a detachable mag and a vertical grip.  

Then call it a SIG556.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Because they are cool.  Look HK is doing it!  

I really don't know what the hype is either.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well, that pretty much what I have.  Guess I'm stupid.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Eugene Stoner and other designers of the AR15 deliberately removed the piston from the design as an IMPROVEMENT, less parts.  And it works, only instead of cleaning the piston you clean the bolt.  M16 unreliability in the Vietnam war was due to the wrong powder in the ammunition, not any issues relating to the the lack of a piston.  And AK reliability in dirt is due to its purposefully loose clearances (NOT TOLERANCES), at the cost of accuracy.

So a piston AR15 is actually going backwards to solve a problem that does not exist.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#9]
so all of our ARs can be as accurate as AKs

because the standard AR didn't weigh enough

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
maybe I should make an all forged steel AR upper and lower just because obviously aluminum is weak and must be the cause of all those split uppers that we think are case failures.

edit: oh yeah and add a piston to make it even heavier
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I said "other"

my response.

Cause there is a market
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
maybe I should make an all forged steel AR upper and lower just because obviously aluminum is weak and must be the cause of all those split uppers that we think are case failures.

edit: oh yeah and add a piston to make it even heavier

And don't forget to put a Romanian AK folder on it while you're at it
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Oh thank god there are still some members here with BRAIN CELLS!!!
I thought every commandouche here was masturbating to that IDIOTIC Piston shit!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#14]
For the same reason folks buy $1200 optics to go on $2000 guns with $1800 worth of rails, lights, triggers, BCH's, BUISs, Gasbusters, Flipup front sights, sling attachments, furniture, lasers and battery compartments.  

Because they can.  

As with everything else, it may or may not be an upgrade overall, that is more of an end user determination.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh thank god there are still some members here with BRAIN CELLS!!!
I thought every commandouche here was masturbating to that IDIOTIC Piston shit!

+1
However, I can see a use for them on 11.5 and 10.5 bbls, although the noeveske pig brake provides the same function.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For the same reason folks buy $1200 optics to go on $2000 guns with $1800 worth of rails, lights, triggers, BCH's, BUISs, Gasbusters, Flipup front sights, sling attachments, furniture, lasers and battery compartments.  

Because they can.  

As with everything else, it may or may not be an upgrade overall, that is more of an end user determination.

I'm all for end user determination and all that but the difference is I understand what all of those things you listed are for.  I am asking a sincere question about what the piston upper is supposed to do exactly (ETA: other than operate the action that is...I mean how is it an advantage).

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
more parts = more better ?

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Eugene Stoner and other designers of the AR15 deliberately removed the piston from the design as an IMPROVEMENT, less parts.  And it works, only instead of cleaning the piston you clean the bolt.  M16 unreliability in the Vietnam war was due to the wrong powder in the ammunition, not any issues relating to the the lack of a piston.  And AK reliability in dirt is due to its purposefully loose clearances (NOT TOLERANCES), at the cost of accuracy.

So a piston AR15 is actually going backwards to solve a problem that does not exist.

Well said.  Let's also not forget that they did not issue cleaning kits and told the grunts it was "self cleaning".  Also, no chrome lining.  All that, mixed with the gummy powder that rifleman2000 mentioned, created a myth that was not the fault of the design.

Also, part of the reason for the gas tube was so there would be less reciprocating weight and it's effect on accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd prefer a cleaner upper receiver, that's for sure. A gas piston is one way to accomplish that.

It doesn't solve the AR's weak extraction/ejection still, but it hasn't impeded my purchases.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Because they can.  

And after all that, they complain that the rifle is too heavy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
For you RedHorseman,

"Friends don't let friends put AK stuff on ARs."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top