Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 2:40:56 PM EDT
This will be my third year tring to entice them to stay.    Geez what a battle.   Anyone ever ran a PA system with Dawnsong or Daytime chatter?   I tried that last year late and attracted one subadult female but she did not stay more than 48 hours.   Sure was fun to mess with the adults feeding on up in the summer.    10-15 would come down and raise hell trying to talk to my decoys.    
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
free bump
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They eat mosquitos, don't they?

No that us a common myth.   Purple martins feed at around 1000ft.    They also eat during the day.   Mosquitos fly mostly at night and stay low to the ground to avoid the wind currents.   If you want to make a dent in the mosquito population build a few bat houses.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:14:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have tried to attract them, but my house is too far from the water.

I am around 15 blocks away, and PMs prefer to be right at the water. There are some successful colonies not too far from my house, and I thoroughly enjoy them when they are here.

This area of Florida has diverse birding opportunities, but they tend to be seasonal and do not include all the same options that our northern neighbors enjoy

We may get (whatever species), but it will only be during Spring/Fall migrations. Others are year round

Love the Martins, swifts, swallows, etc
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:21:50 AM EDT
[#5]
15 blocks should be no big deal.   I know a guy in VA that is well over a mile and he has a colony in SW VA.    In Flordia you should be able to start them no problem.   It gets much harder as you head further north.   In Alabama i have seen them nest in tiny 8 inch plastic gourds.    Take a look here at some of the info and stuff these guys have.   I use the Supergourds.   I have up 8 supergourds and 4 real gourds on a homemade rach i can raise and lower.  

Purgle Martin hints and supplies!

Quoted:
I have tried to attract them, but my house is too far from the water.

I am around 15 blocks away, and PMs prefer to be right at the water. There are some successful colonies not too far from my house, and I thoroughly enjoy them when they are here.

This area of Florida has diverse birding opportunities, but they tend to be seasonal and do not include all the same options that our northern neighbors enjoy

We may get (whatever species), but it will only be during Spring/Fall migrations. Others are year round

Love the Martins, swifts, swallows, etc

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They eat mosquitos, don't they?

No that us a common myth.   Purple martins feed at around 1000ft.    They also eat during the day.   Mosquitos fly mostly at night and stay low to the ground to avoid the wind currents.   If you want to make a dent in the mosquito population build a few bat houses.  

I'm in my current house three years now
Every Summer we have two or three bats on an almost nightly basis
I enjot watching them as I know they're eating skeeters

I'd like to put up a Bathouse but I don't know that they'd take up in it
It's my understanding that they migrate to the same spot every year
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:45:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thought that said "martians" not martins-sorry can't help after all.

Yeah I deal with those at work.   Don't want to when I get home.    Space Surveillance for butt diddling green perverts is a full time job! Got to keep those redneck boys safe.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top