Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2004 12:51:41 PM EDT
I'm shopping for a light truck or SUV. I stopped by the local Chevy dealer and test drove the new Colorado. While I was driving I looked down at the odometer. 2212miles! WTF? When we got back into the dealership lot and I looked in the bed a little closer. Scratch marks everywhere!

Well I thought that maybe they'd work a deal. Nope. MSRP was just over 24K, and they were asking 26K! I couldn't believe they had the guts to ask for 2k over MSRP for a car with 2200+miles. They said it was new because it didn't have a private owner. As I walked out I commented that it may not be preowned, but it is damn sure used.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
That's bullshit

USED has nothing to do with wehther it's been titled or not.  If there's more than a 100 miles on a car, it's USED !!!

Whenever I've bought NEW cars, I've bought cars with LESS THAN 10 MILES on the clock.  i don't want some car that assholes have been test-driving for months, or that the dealership employees loan to their wives to go grocery shopping in.

Over 2000 miles is totally used - and you shoud laugh at them and go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet that those are 2200 hard miles.  The dealership was using it as a loaner car or demo or something.  And like a rental, those cars get abused like a red-headed step child.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
When you fart in the seat for the first time........
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Make no mistake, I did just that. I only stayed because I thought they'd be willing to deal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
What!? 2000+ miles isn't used like the world isn't round.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make no mistake, I did just that. I only stayed because I thought they'd be willing to deal.

I would go a step further and get them to draw up the paperwork, then tell them to go fly a kite.  Cost them a little time for wasting yours...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#9]

So when does a car become used?

When it leaves the dealership.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, but with any mileage over 100 it is a used car and should be priced as such.  If a private owner buys it and drives .1 off the dealers lot her just lost a good 10% of the value of the vehicle.  Just for driving it off the lot.  If the dealership let it be used enough to put 2000 on it . . .that is used like a drunk sorority chick on Friday night.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
A car shouldn't get over 100 miles of test drives.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm shopping for a light truck or SUV. I stopped by the local Chevy dealer and test drove the new Colorado. While I was driving I looked down at the odometer. 2212miles! WTF? When we got back into the dealership lot and I looked in the bed a little closer. Scratch marks everywhere!

Well I thought that maybe they'd work a deal. Nope. MSRP was just over 24K, and they were asking 26K! I couldn't believe they had the guts to ask for 2k over MSRP for a car with 2200+miles. They said it was new because it didn't have a private owner. As I walked out I commented that it may not be preowned, but it is damn sure used.

What do you guys think?

It's 'used' the moment that it's driven off the lot by the first owner.

Prior to that, it's considered 'new'...
All  'new' cars will have miles from being moved after production, shipped, and moved around the lot...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's 'used' the moment that it's driven off the lot by the first owner.

Prior to that, it's considered 'new'...
All  'new' cars will have miles from being moved after production, shipped, and moved around the lot...

You can't tell me a car is moved 2200 miles. Hell, I don't live 2200 miles from Michigan. I could drive from where I live on the East Coast to St Louis and BACK and still be about 400 miles short of 2200. That would cover every single mile of I-64 TWICE.  Moved around the lot my ass. Moving around the lot or shipping from one store to the other doesn't put scratches in the bed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
More than 25 miles on the odometer, I don't care about title or not.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
More than 25 miles on the odometer, I don't care about title or not.

That's if the odometer is connected.  Several years back either a dealership (or it could have been the factory...Chrysler I think?) in St Louis got busted selling well used cars.  It seems they were disconnecting the odometer (& subsequently the speedo) & letting employees use them as personal vehicles for a while then reconnecting the odometer & putting the car back on the lot.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]
RUN AWAY.

FEDERAL law is that if a vheicle has more than 500 miles on it it should NOT be sold as NEW!

These guys are crooks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
RUN AWAY.

FEDERAL law is that if a vheicle has more than 500 miles on it it should NOT be sold as NEW!

These guys are crooks.

Wow, I hate to ask, but do you have a link to something I can print out? I'd love to take it back to that dealership.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#18]
That's a used car.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What do you guys think?

Legally, it becomes used as soon as an application for title is filed.  What you test drove was a car the dealership loaned out or allowed their staff to use.  Stay away from them.  Any car you test drive should never have more than 100 miles on it.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#20]
All I know is that when we test drove the new dodge SRT-10 truck, the one with the viper engine & trans...we ran that bitch hard. The dealership isnt even supposed to drive them but we took that thing to 6,000 rpm and over 140mph. The salesman was telling me about how it would do burnouts in 3rd gear....and this truck had mabey 500 miles on it. If I had the cash to buy new I wan single digits on the odometer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top