Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 8:25:51 AM EDT
I ws bidding on an item on ebay. I lost the auction but lo and behold I get a email from ebay offering the item for sale at my last bid price. It state either previous buyer could not complete sale or seller had more than one of the item. Sounds like perhaps they were doing some shill bidding.

What cha think?

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It is possible that they were doing some shill bidding, but I have had the auction winner fail to contact me and sent out second chance notices.  It could be perfectly legit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you feel that the item was worth what you bid? If so, buy it.

side note: when someone is the high bidder on ebay, they like to say that they "won the auction"

Uhhhh, no you didn't. You were the "greater fool" You simply paid the most.

If you go to wally world and buy a bunch of stuff, do you come home and marvel at all of the stuff that you "won?"

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
the term for when one is the highest bidder on an item should be changed to "lost the auction", as in you are the one who ended up paying the most for it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Seem strange as the auction ended 6pm last night
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#5]
If the seller has more than one item to sell, or the buyer cannot complete the deal, the seller has the option of doing a second chance bid. You still get the same protection on Ebay as if you were the only one bidding, so no worries there. Iv'e done them before without any problems.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#6]
look at the full email address header to see where the email was sent from on the second chance offer.
if it comes from an address second-chance-ebay.com, or any address other than eby.com, it is a scam, as someone saw that you bid on a high priced item, and wants to scam you into thinking that it is available.
if it is from xxx.ebay.com  - it has to be from ---.ebay.com, then it may be legit, and if you check the original offer page or your profile, you should see something that says you have an offer open.

if it is a scam, they will want you to email someone with an email adress other than the original seller of the item, and  that is not registared on ebay, to accept the offer
then the offer will want you to send money order/cashier check/ western union to someplace.
then you will not see the item.
the email looks official, but the second-chance-ebay.com domain name is registared to someone in chicago.

you can try to send the information containing the full header to something like spoof or [email protected] or something like that and they will verify the email for you - you'll need to look it up. if it is real, then if you want the item, is probably safe.

i bid on a NV item, got a second chance email, tried to complain to ebay, they didn't seem too interested in the complaint. i guess i may need to send info to the federal internet fraud link.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
It normally means the winner backed out or the sellers shill couldn't get anyone to keep bidding,and the seller is offering it to you for your last bid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top