Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/30/2005 5:54:16 PM EDT
I was flipping through the SF, and saw somebody say they'd bought a plot of land for a Bug out place, and planned to build an underground home. Thought about it and figured, like the hobbit houses in LotR that if you did it right it could be a rather cozy and rather easily defended thing. Hell, OP proved that dirt/sand stops rounds pretty damn well. Hook up some sort of solar power, or a stream project like that one guy did and you could be pretty well secure and set up.

Since I'm hopefully looking at a pretty damn good job after grad school (less than two years), no time like the present to plan. Does anybody have any info, links on related stuff? Who builds, problems, solutions, benefits, etc.? Anybody here done one?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:56:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:59:17 PM EDT

So what's the story with underground homes?

No matter how good of a deal you're offered, don't buy one in New Orleans.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:00:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 6:00:35 PM EDT by Spade]

Originally Posted By THR-Thumper:

So what's the story with underground homes?

No matter how good of a deal you're offered, don't buy one in New Orleans.

I laughed.

Google turned up this: www.ultimatesecurehome.com

Seems pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:04:05 PM EDT
There used to be quit a few basement homes in northern middle Tennessee. A few friends built some. The energy consumption is very low. They used a small wood burning stove in wintrer to heat the house. The total earthen cover held in the heat very well. The air conditioner only ran a little in summer to get a slight chill to the air and that was it.

Being built nearly of nothing but concrete block and dirt for wall coverings and roofing meant ease in maintenence. Use a lawn mower.

Don't see them much any more because any hint of a fire in the front of the house and you are trapped. Most basement homes had only 1 or 2 doors in the front.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:08:10 PM EDT
I would recommend having a soil test performed before you purchase the land.

My old boss bought some land with the intention of building an underground home. He picked the perfect hill with an awesome view. When it came time to build he had a soil test done and it failed.

I'm not sure why it failed, but now he has a nice house on top of the hill.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:28:08 PM EDT
How about a normal home with a bunker underneath? ie, like a story under the basement, but with heavy reinforced concrete walls and a heavy steel or vault door or two serving as entrances (prefereably first entrance concealed with a (relatively cheap) moving cabinet, and second entrance, from opposite end, depending on the size of the house and what surrounds it, possibly from a shed or garage seperate from the home)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:32:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:34:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Andreuha:
How about a normal home with a bunker underneath? ie, like a story under the basement, but with heavy reinforced concrete walls and a heavy steel or vault door or two serving as entrances (prefereably first entrance concealed with a (relatively cheap) moving cabinet, and second entrance, from opposite end, depending on the size of the house and what surrounds it, possibly from a shed or garage seperate from the home)

I don't think you'd get the full heating/cooling benefits and the cost savings there plus other stuff, but it wouldn't be a bad option if you already had a standard home. Plus if you had to use it, it probably wouldn't be that comfortable, while if your whole house is underground, no worries.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:39:03 PM EDT
Missile silo.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:39:07 PM EDT
You can buy decomissioned missile silos as homes, i remember seeing one that was already fixed up going for less than a new house in some areas. If the launch doors still work it would be the ultimate skylight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:47:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Slimjim:
You can buy decomissioned missile silos as homes, i remember seeing one that was already fixed up going for less than a new house in some areas. If the launch doors still work it would be the ultimate skylight.

Moving them to your land is the hard part!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:49:16 PM EDT
I saw on the Discovery channel last year a program about nuclear shelters built during the cold war, but only caught part of it. This one was built by an engineer or something that was bad ass. It had several rooms, water tanks, air filtration, and secret entrances. The main entrance door weighed several hundred pounds. They wouldn't show the house or tell where it was at. He died years ago and his wife had no idea how he did it all by himself. The silo comment reminded me of it.
Top Top