Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/17/2001 3:23:18 PM EDT
Just wondering the reasons why you signed on. For me, since I was a kid with my plastic M-14 and Tommy gun back in the 60s, I always loved the Army. All my uncles sereved in WW2 ( D-Day and Holland), and before that my my 'relos' served and fought in WW1 (Passchendaele and Vimy Ridge). Army service went back to the British Army in India, so when I got older, I thought I'd 'do my bit' and over 25 yrs later I still am in. I have served in the armies of two countries,(Canada and Australia) and travelled. I love the spirit of adventure, the mateship, and besides where else can they pay you to go camping and shooting. I'm Engineers (RAEME) and I love the lifestyle and outdoors. What made you do it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:34:37 PM EDT
First time I saw a marine in dress blues I knew I was going to be one. I come from a long line of warriors and it was expected of me to serve as well. Besides my dad (airborne) had the army covered, my grandfather (UDT) with the navy, uncle (jet jockey) with the air force, the Marines was left to me. Mainly I wanted to see the world, get out on my own, I didn't want to go to college or pump gas.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:39:06 PM EDT
Draft
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:26:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2001 4:31:04 PM EDT by crowboy]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:27:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:32:07 PM EDT
I had always wanted to be a Soldier, plus I thought it was my duty. Even at 19, I figured I owed it to every American who gave his/her life so that I could sleep in a warm bed, safe and sound, every night. I would have stayed in, but after 6yrs, it seemed like the Army quit wanting SOLDIERS, and just wanted those who came in for 2, got their $ for college, and got out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 4:42:05 PM EDT
I have a couple of reasons for joining the Air Force 1) I have something to prove 2) money for college 3) A good experience(hopefully)
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:10:36 PM EDT
When I was ten, I asked my teach if we would go to Vietnam to help out our guys...I had been reading the Stars and Stripes. I wanted very much to be a helicopter pilot or door gunner. These guys were my ultimate heros. My pops was USAF lifer, so I always thought I'd end up serving in the USAF. As it turns out I joined the Navy and I saw many, many ports of call.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:27:17 PM EDT
My home life was shitty. There were no jobs. I wasn't a good student and I wasn't ready for college besides if I wanted to go I had no support system to help me get started. I wanted to grow up, get some direction see the world or as much of it as I could and make a little money. From what I knew at the time I figured if your going to be a bear be a grizzly. I joined the Marines and got everything out of it that I was looking for and then some. One of the best decisions of my life. Thank God for the U.S.M.C. I will love it until I die.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:42:08 PM EDT
I didn't want to go to college, I didn't want to hang around my hometown, and I'd wanted to be in the military since I was about 12 or 13. During my 12 1/2 years in, however, I saw the army go from wanting soldiers - who worked hard and played hard - to wanting politically-correct recruits who wouldn't even look at the local girls or female soldiers, and that sometime between the fall of the Iron Curtain and Dec 1998 soldiers began to be expected to act like angels when off duty.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:44:07 PM EDT
I was just a down-and-out dickhead who'd squandered a lot of money that should've been used towards my education. I had a good home life and my folks stood by me, but I had created a lot of other troubles for myself. My Dad and my uncles, his three older brothers, had been sailors and two of the four had gotten into good ratings that they parlayed into good civilian jobs. I was at the point that I had to change something in my life and it had to be something for the better, so I enlisted in the NAV as a machinist's mate. I was fortunate enough to get into a good command from the get go that gave me a solid knowledge from which to draw regardless of which direction that I chose in that field. My second command was an embarrassment to the U.S. Armed Forces and the Navy and made up my mind to get the hell out. Recently, I was reading a message board on the 'net and saw a scathing commentary about that ship (now decommissioned) from the last CHENG under whom I'd served (he just completed a tour as an XO on the east coast). I couldn't believe it; he named names and dates of f*** ups. I felt somewhat vindicated when I read that. Nevertheless, I've moved onward and upward and parlayed my NAV time into a good career and am pursuing an engineering degree (recently completed my associate's of science) and generally regard my NAV time as an overall positive period in my life and feel like I'm better off because of it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:19:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:22:59 PM EDT
I wanted to kill people.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:35:36 PM EDT
Remembering seeing my father in a parade wearing his dress blues.3rd generation Marine. Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:39:43 PM EDT
I was 18, recently graduated from high school, still living at home with mommy and flipping burgers for a living at McDonalds. One fatefull day my car broke down at the post office in San Pablo, CA and I had to walk 4-5 miles back home cursing my luck and my car. On that walk home I had lots of time to think about my future, or lack orf it. That was when I decided to as Nike says, "Just do it". I went to see the AF recruiter the next day and started the ball rolling. Three months later I was basic training and spent 20 years. Don't regret it for an instant. The funny thing is, I have a 16 year old son that is starting his senior year in a few weeks and he doesn't have a clue about what he wants to do when he graduates. Seems like just yesterday I was in the same boat!
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 9:50:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:29:58 PM EDT
I was brain washed as a young boy. Born on the 4th of July, many things in my room had minutemen on them including the drapes. My father was an officer in the Army. I loved guns, military history(especially WWII). That started with the Tower of Navarone model(how many people remember that one). Loved playing armymen, cowboys and indians, drawing soldiers, building forts, destroying forts. Then I graduated high school and wanted to hunt Charlie so I joined the Army signed up for infantry. I am relentless I am always there, now and forever. I am the Infantry! Follow Me! No Slack!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 12:07:11 AM EDT
My family has a pretty strong military tradition from WWII to Vietnam, and as I mentioned in a recent post, I read "Marine! The Life of Chesty Puller" when I was 12 years old. Plus, I had pretty much taken the easy route at every opportunity in my life, and wanted to prove something to myself. Mission accomplished. Semper Fidelis Jarhead out. ----------------------- "There is nothing better than a Marine Sergeant." --LtGen (then Colonel) Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC, Korea, 1950
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 12:21:51 AM EDT
The Draft
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 4:40:29 AM EDT
At first, It was a search for adventure. Then later, the desire was to command and lead an adventure.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:18:07 AM EDT
I had not done a damm thing for my future while going to school. Worked in a fast food rest. Had no idea about collage, did not even know when the other guys took the ACT. I never was in the loop. About two weeks before school was over I went the the Marine recruiter, signed the paper work, finished school on Friday left for boot camp on Sunday. Spent four years in the Corps and loved it. Even the 13 months in country. Simper Fi Shadowjack1
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:46:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:49:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:12:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:54:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:11:26 AM EDT
SSgt. Barry Sadler, medic Special Forces, U.S.Army, Vietnam. One hell-of-a songwriter and balladeer. Latched onto my brother-in-law's copy of the album while still young and impressionable. Larry was in 'Nam, never remember hearing much about him during that time, but between listening to that LP day-in and day-out, and watching John Wayne in "The Green Berets", I got hooked BIGTIME. As it turns out, my Idea of what the Army would be like and what a post-Vietnam Army really was, didn't turn out to be the same. Now if they had kept the war going for about 4 more years......
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:38:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:00:45 AM EDT
DUTY
Top Top