Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2005 4:10:36 PM EDT
Beside the need for guns and ammo?

It's reminded me to NEVER rely on the government for a plan of action or for my own/families personal safety.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:11:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:11:23 PM EDT
Be prepared to take of your own.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:12:29 PM EDT
Increase food and water supplies.

Watch the weather channel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:12:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
I'm finally gonna get off my bloated American ass and make a bub out bag for my wife and I.

Worried about that dessert tsunami?

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:13:54 PM EDT
It hasn't taught me anything. It's confirmed what I already knew about urban politics and the welfare underclass.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:14:32 PM EDT
I added water and food to my guns and ammo
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:15:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheCommissioner:
It hasn't taught me anything. It's confirmed what I already knew about urban politics and the welfare underclass.

seriously
+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:15:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 4:16:52 PM EDT by hardcorps1775]
get friends. get a lotta friends. get a lotta friends with a lotta guns. if we're told to evac, evac as a group. if we're told to assemble at a certain point, stand off and observe the situation. if there is no .mil or police presence, find somewhere else or go in as an armed group and keep the animals away at bayo point.

count on no one but your own.

ETA: oh yeah, get out of town before the fucking category 5 hurricane hits your coastal town sitting 10 fucking feet below sea level...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:19:33 PM EDT
When a Cat 5 hurricane heads your way your a moron for staying.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:20:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:

Originally Posted By TheCommissioner:

seriously
+1

Yup!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:21:30 PM EDT

So what has this disaster taught you?

I'm not prepared enough. I need more of everything.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:22:19 PM EDT
don't live below sea level near a body of water who's surface elevation is above sea level
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:22:22 PM EDT
All those survivalists hiding in the mountains waiting for the end of the world aren't so crazy after all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:23:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 4:26:10 PM EDT by mobius]

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

+1,000,000

it's also a stupid idea to live in a place that is below sea level, surrounded by water, or in any of the states that is a hurricane magnet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:25:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:25:22 PM EDT
I'm preparing to prepare.

The folks in the Survival Forum were very helpful.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:26:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:27:07 PM EDT
Oh yeah, i forgot, start visiting the survival forum more often!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:27:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Strats:

Just think, a week ago, the Survival Forum was being made fun of in the Bear Pit.

Nitwits.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:28:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mobius:

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

or in any of the states that is a hurricane magnet.

You do realize that would make 1/3 of the US undevelopable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:29:02 PM EDT
This disaster has not taught me anything; it only reinforced my belief in being prepared for a disaster in the midwest if I have to provide for my family without the benefit of going to the grocery store or anyplace else.

This disaster has opened my wife's eyes to the advantages of being prepared.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:29:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 4:30:57 PM EDT by Paul]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:31:44 PM EDT
Need to increase the quantities of supplies I normally stock and add more tools/equipment to the stash.

My thoughts have always been along the lines of water/shelter/first aid to keep things going until "rescued". I see that I need to change that to more of a long term self-reliant solution than I currently have.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:32:41 PM EDT
Sell off or bury all the guns that I cannot take with me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:33:47 PM EDT
This could happen in nearly any Urban / Suburban Area in the US
The Criminal element will take advantage of the situation and prey upon people

You and you alone are responsible for your family ( do not count on Fire / EMS / Police etc )

At the least you should have several days worth of food and water if not more

I admit I'm not prepared I need to stock up
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:33:55 PM EDT
Bought 1,000 rds for the AR and 500 for the 1100. More AR and M9 mags, loaded same.

Practiced with AR, M9 and flintlock yesterday.

Concern: welfare recipiant/criminals have arrived in San Antonio. Plan to be more vigilant around home, traveling, etc.

Will set up more shelves in garage for some extra can goods, water, candles, matches and stuff like that. Might have to lose some of my books. Agghhhh.

Well behaved, CONSERVATIVE, civilized new orleans residents are welcome to find refuge in our city.

welfare/criminal types are not. We already have enough homegrown (and mexico grown) bums and cirminals.

Valueless welfare types should be sent to the large cities that voted for kerry or gore...where they belong.

Don't care what the skin color is. Do care about value/burden to society.

If a comprehensive, effective assault-humans bill was passed in 1994 we would not have this worry.

Dis-arm liberals, de-feet them too. Hmmm, they don't NEED tongues either.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:36:58 PM EDT
I need more survival gear. More guns, ammo, and friends that I can count on.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:39:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 4:40:22 PM EDT by hardcorps1775]

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:

Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
I'm finally gonna get off my bloated American ass and make a bub out bag for my wife and I.

Worried about that dessert tsunami?

mmm, "dessert tsunami"...aaarrrggghhh...

is that something you find at a sushi bar?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 4:44:08 PM EDT by Silesius]

Originally Posted By pighelmet:
Sell off or bury all the guns that I cannot take with me.

Can you imagine if people in NO buried their guns?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:44:28 PM EDT
One other thing.

I always buy a home about half way up a hill.

To high to flood. Low enough to take fewer lightning strikes than at the top.

This was a problem in Houston. But we went home shopping right after a hurricane or tropical storm. We found one that did not flood. It did have water on all sides.

Soon another hurricane came through and we just stayed home and looked at the water in all directions.

The 'eye' of the hurricane was neat.

Young guys went 'surfing' in the storm filled, white-water bayous. Cool.

I love Houston.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:45:04 PM EDT
*The need for a big ass fence around Texas to keep everyone's problems out. ( I fear my state has become the home of a quarter million new welfare recipients, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. )

*Suicide pills for reporters for when they've begun to crack up.

* More ammo.

*lower New Orleans about 30 feet so the next hurricane gets the job done.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:46:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:58:41 PM EDT
1. Don't live in a coastal city that is below sea level. Treat this point as important.

2. Be prepared to evacuate and protect your family in case of disaster.

3. Don't blame your lack of resolve and preperation on the government just because you were too stupid, lazy or stubborn to get out of the way of a hurricane.

4. Observe what is actually happening in New Orleans and remember it when the press tries to paint a different picture later on.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:02:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Turnkey:
This could happen in nearly any Urban / Suburban Area in the US
The Criminal element will take advantage of the situation and prey upon people sheeple

You and you alone are responsible for your family ( do not count on Fire / EMS / Police etc )

At the least you should have several days worth of food and water if not more

I admit I'm not prepared I need to stock up

Fixed it.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:02:50 PM EDT
The police can flee as fast as the rest of the population.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:03:25 PM EDT
I need to invest in fuel containers by the pallet load.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:06:38 PM EDT
Nothing that I did not all ready know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:09:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

Just think, a week ago, the Survival Forum was being made fun of in the Bear Pit.
Nitwits.

I think its funny how everyone who used to poke fun at the survival forum ( which I have visited and posted to several times ) is now thinking a little different. Equally as funny is how my gun hating wife and in-laws (who are now living with us since they had to evacuate) are now referring to MY guns as OUR guns and THE guns. I guess it takes a cat 5 hurricane wiping out 3 states of coastline to get some people's attention. Better late than never.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:10:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Szurgot:

Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

Nitwits.

I think its funny how everyone who used to poke fun at the survival forum ( which I have visited and posted to several times ) is now thinking a little different. Equally as funny is how my gun hating wife and in-laws (who are now living with us since they had to evacuate) are now referring to MY guns as OUR guns and THE guns. I guess it takes a cat 5 hurricane wiping out 3 states of coastline to get some people's attention. Better late than never.

I never saw anyone poking fun at the survival forum. Maybe a few who didn't take them seriously, but never any poking fun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:13:22 PM EDT
You had your tin foil hat on too tight. They poked fun, He who laughs last ...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:15:10 PM EDT
... that the reason Blue Cheese tastes so good is the ingredient Penicillium Roqueforti - or, mold
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:15:47 PM EDT
Nothing.

I already know people suck, and that the final reposibilty for me and my loved ones lies with me alone.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:16:01 PM EDT
It's taught me:

1. The .gov will NOT take of me.
2. I and nobody else is/will responsible for me and my family except ME.
3. Become more involved in the Survival forum to learn as much as I can.
4. Begin purchases of the basics based on SF's recommendations (excellent to date!)
5. PLAN/PLAN/PLAN and DISCUSS those plans with family members for input.
6. Hope it won't ever happen, prepare for it, yet be confident I will be a survivor!

~m38a1
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:18:59 PM EDT
Stay away from cities and stock up on supplies . But first and foremost the stay away from cities lesson.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:20:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 5:33:49 PM EDT by GabbasaurusRex]
That once again, the media vastly overexposes national disasters until you just don't care.

I know that sounds horrible, but I am so sick of hearing about looters and all that shit. And I never gave a flying fuck about that chick from Aruba.

EDIT: Excuse me, IN Aruba.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:21:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:21:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:27:27 PM EDT
I realized I didn't have any fuel cans. I picked up a army surplus 5 gallon for $5 at a flea market and repainted it red, and then hit walmart for another 5 gallon plastic one (made in Canada).

I also picked up small propane cooking stove.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:27:28 PM EDT
It really different teach me anything, except the fact that my paranoia turns out to be a benefit if I found myself in a similar situation.

What it has taught my household (my wife, and at least two of the older girls) is that some people don't know how to help themselves, probably wouldn't even if they could, will sit around until hell freezes over waiting for someone else to do it for them, and then still complain that it wasn't done to their satisfaction.

It has also taught them that there truly are two types of people in this world; those who will help others and those who won't help themselves.

My wife also finally understands that we may the only ones to protect ourselves, our children, etc in time of emergency.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:29:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GabbasaurusRex:
And I never gave a flying fuck about that chick from Aruba.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top