Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2002 4:16:10 PM EDT
As a newby to this board and new to gun ownership (after a long hard fight with the oppressive forces of W-I-F-E), I have read the AWB sunset Poll thread with great interest.  I have this hypothetical question:  What happens to the "AR-15" industry if the AWB does sunset?  Other than the obvious issue of "pre-ban" weapon prices hitting the floor.  Will the average weapon change?  Are there advances made since the ban that would make any of the evil feature null and void? What is the first thing you would do to your "post-ban" idf the law sunsets?

AB
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
All those who paid premium $ for "preban" ARs will be very unhappy when their old hardware is worth no more than a current production rifle. They may be worth less if anything! As for paying double for a flash suppressor or bayo lug, I just don't get it. My Colt MT 20" Hbar or M4 carbine shoots and works the same or better than any made pre-94....
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
When the AWB sunsets I would assume that most manufacturers will start putting flash hiders and bayo lugs back on the rifles because that is what people want. You will also be able to buy new rifles with factory collapsable stocks that come packaged with 30rd magazines for the same price as todays butchered rifles and 10rd mags.

Many people will lose a lot of money on rifles they paid a huge sum for and many of them will be pissed off.

[b]And the most important thing of all!!!

We won't have any more of those stupid threads debating whether a stripped lower is preban or not!!![/b]

September 14, 2004 will be a great day for ar15.com!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing. No way in HELL that ban is allowed to sunset. If we end up with satus quo, we'll be lucky.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It gets really cold in Hell.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It will get replaced by a new and improved "assault weapon ban" that includes a "no grandfathered weapons" clause.

I can hardly wait!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
What ticks me off the most about the AWB is the 10-round mag capacity limit.  Not so much the AR, but prices on full-cap mags for my Glock 19 are ridiculous (anywhere from $115-130 apiece at the gunshow this weekend).  I have two, want to get two more.  If I do, I'll have almost as much money in four magazines as the pistol.

As for what I'd do with my post-ban AR, probably just get a flash suppressor.  Collapsible stocks don't do anything for me, and a bayonet lug seems a bit pointless.  Not that I shouldn't have the *option* of having a bayo lug...
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nothing. No way in HELL that ban is allowed to sunset. If we end up with satus quo, we'll be lucky.
View Quote

Read the bill. It clearly states that the bill will terminate in 10 years from ratification. What we all need to worry about is the trash they will try to pass after it sunsets.  Now is the time to work on getting as many politicians in office that are on our side.

[beer]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]
If the federal AWB sunsets, it may or may not change anything for you. It depends upon the state you live in. The liberals have been in a panic the last couple years to pass clones of the federal AWB in state law. The state laws do not sunset. As the libs are pushing these clones in the states, they describe them as "just copies of existing federal law". Somehow they forget to inform the public about the non-sunset issue. We have a copy here in MA. It was passed along with a huge pile of PC gun owner control BS. It is commonly known as "The Civil Rights Reduction Act of 1998".
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I heard that!  G19 is what I got as my cherry weapon.  I bought a Pro-Mag 15 and it sucks!
Got ripped off on it, too.  That's why I'm haunting this board, doing as much research and shopping around as possible so I don't get burned on my first AR.

AB
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopfully after the AWB sunsets we start to roll back the import ways of 98' and 89'! Once the AWB goes away, and I am confindent it will, we will be on the offensive for the first time. I think if we win in 04' then national ccw and repeal of 86' are possible.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
G19 is what I got as my cherry weapon.  
View Quote

Is that supposed to be [b]carry[/b] weapon, or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#14]
There will be threads reminiscing about the AWB.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#15]
California will still be stuck with their PUMP action AK's.  Pump SAR-1's are called PAR's.

I think someone needs to design a revolver AK.  RAR's.   And a bolt action AK.  BAR's. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#17]
lets work to repeal the ban now.  under a pro freedom anti terrorist bill.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#18]
The AWB will sunset, and we'll get a Kali style ban that REALLY screws us.  If you think about it at all they currently haven't banned jack shit for most of us.  Big deal you can't get a flash suppressor, you can get something that looks just like one, and may actually be of bigger benefit to the shooter.  

No, we've got it good right now, most people think "assault weapons" are banned, there is no public support for more regulations.  When they publicize how the evil gun nuts want their assault weapons back to kill cops there will be.  The Antis won't leave the loopholes open next time around when they get a new ban passed either...
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If the federal AWB sunsets, it may or may not change anything for you. It depends upon the state you live in. The liberals have been in a panic the last couple years to pass clones of the federal AWB in state law. The state laws do not sunset. As the libs are pushing these clones in the states, they describe them as "just copies of existing federal law". Somehow they forget to inform the public about the non-sunset issue. We have a copy here in MA. It was passed along with a huge pile of PC gun owner control BS. It is commonly known as "The Civil Rights Reduction Act of 1998".
View Quote

I'm no lawyer,but I alwyas thought that Federal law is superior to any state law,anyone else heard of this?

[b]"If your not part of the solution,you are part of the problem" "Knowledge = Freedom"[/b]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#20]
There will still be no new cool guns in the PRK.  I doubt it will happen, but if it lapses for even 5 min I will get to slap a real telestock on Bushmaster.  If it looks like it will happen, I'll try to get a new upper with bayo lug and birdcage.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#21]

I'm no lawyer,but I alwyas thought that Federal law is superior to any state law,anyone else heard of this?
View Quote

Staes right vs Federal Powers, umm they had this thing called the Civil War (or the War of Northern Aggression) over this issue.

State rights 'technically' supercede Federal law, but the Feds use income tax proceeds to 'encourage' states to allow State powers to be usurped.

"We can't make you give up your State's rights, but we will give you 100 million in highway funds if you agree that our powers are superior in some cases."

TheRedGoat

BTW, when the ban does sunset, don't you think the limited number of 'postban' guns will increase in collector value?  Afterall, supply vs. demand would mean the pool of '1994-2004 Postbans' becomes more and more limited, and even might be considered more valuable in 50 years?

Fer Instance, my run of the mill, Postban DR200 DOUBLED in price as soon as the import bans went into law.  
Can't get these anymore...price goes up!  
They quit making this configuration...price goes up!  
My state still won't allow 'evil features' but no manufacturer is making a 'banned' configuration...price goes up.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Actually, I read "cherry weapon" as "first gun". Y'know, popped his cherry.

Is that what you meant, TBoltChief?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#23]
What happens? I go bankrupt with all the guns and mags that I'll buy!!!! YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I heard that!  G19 is what I got as my cherry weapon.  I bought a Pro-Mag 15 and it sucks!
Got ripped off on it, too.  That's why I'm haunting this board, doing as much research and shopping around as possible so I don't get burned on my first AR.

AB
View Quote

One Word to prvent AR-Burn: BUSHMASTER.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Actually, I read "cherry weapon" as "first gun". Y'know, popped his cherry.

Is that what you meant, TBoltChief?
View Quote

Yes.  That's what I meant.  Finally convinced the W-I-F-E that a owning a pistol wouldn't be all that bad.  Now I want an AR!

AB
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't think there has EVER been a federal law that has been allowed to "sunset".  They have ALL been perpetuated into a permanent law.

But, there's always a first.  

[b]Just goes to show that this years' Congressional elections are EXTREMELY important.
Get every possible conservative you know to the polls this year.[/b]

*** [b]Pass the word by email[/b] - give everyone on your mailing lists a monthly notice to vote for  conservatives.

*** [b]Don't wast any votes[/b] on "unelectable" (small third-party) candidates. Remember the Perot/Nader effect. Pick the MOST conservative, gun-friendly candidate of the two major parties.

*** [b]Email your US Reps & Senators monthly[/b]. Briefly and tactfully state your strong desire that they allow the Assault Weapon Ban to sunset. Tell them you are one of their constituents, include at minimum your city and state (your name also lends credibility).

Go to [b][url=http://www.house.gov/]US House of Representatives[/url][/b] to locate and email your Representative.

Go to [b][url=http://www.senate.gov/]US Senate[/url][/b] to locate and email your Senators.

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well there once was this thing called the Constitution and it had some Amendments that at one time was superior to any federal or state law but, they did away with it some time ago.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#29]
What will happen,

The value of my 80 or so NIW 30 rd mags will depreciate to about 200% of what I paid for them, instead of 1000% of what I paid for them.

Ed

P.S. I will also take a dated photo of my rifle formerly known as postban with a "preban" upper.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll be too busy ducking flying pigs to worry about much else.

Edited to say that I hope I'm wrong and Swire gets more of his kind to hang out with.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#31]
So a (maybe) stupid question that's been crawling around in my mind:

Right now, it's legal to have Evil Features on a lower that was manufactured and built into a rifle before the 1994 ban, because those guns are grandfathered in.

When the ban sunsets in 2004 (and assuming for the sake of argument that something more draconian doesn't replace it) it will become legal to manufacture new guns with Evil Features.

But will lowers that were manufactured during the ban period be "grandfathered out" of the new non-ban rules?  As in, will it still be illegal to build a rifle with too many Evil Features on a 1997 lower, since that lower was manufactured at a time when the ban applied to it?

I mostly ask out of curiosity, because after the sunset, it'll once again be easy enough to buy a brand-new Evil Gun without having to wibble about dates.

Is my post-ban Oly lower about to become a collector's item?

-BP
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I think there would have to be new legislation saying what you could/couldn't do with post-ban rifles.  Unless they did that, I can't see there being any different restrictions on modifying your post-ban Oly.  Just my thought...I'm no lawyer.  ETH??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top