Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 7:08:18 AM EDT
There is almost no news on this.  Netscape has no major heading on it.  Did any of the refineries get demolished?

Prices went up $0.15 here but if nothing was damaged.......why?  It reminds me of the Y2K scare.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#1]
most were shut down and one sustained moderate damage. even with no damage soem will take a week to get to 100%
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#2]
(tinfoil hat on)  The other possibility is that the refinery's did get messed up, but the goverment is keeping a lid on it to keep the gas prices down. (tinfoil hat off)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#3]
On most of the news channels yesterday (Sunday) they were reporting little to no significant damage.

Meanwhile, gas prices jumped $.20 before the storm even hit land.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
All of the refineries shut down prior to the anticipated hit by Rita.

It takes a while to get all of those distillation units and various other processes started again.
Some of those individual units can take up to a day or so just to get back up to temperature and
then all of those units have to get back on line in the right order.

One of the B.P. explosions happenned during a restart period.  From what I understand, this
is one of the most dangerous times in a chemical plant.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I'm glad the media is saying that the hurricane did little to our refining capacity. Maybe the greedy motherfuckers who jack up the prices on a whim will hestitate this time before going crazy. I guess the media are good for something once in awhile....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]
This morning, gas prices in my area were about 2.699. That's about 10 cents higher then before the storm hit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The oil companies just wanted to let us know who is in charge
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, I'm glad the media is saying that the hurricane did little to our refining capacity. Maybe the greedy motherfuckers who jack up the prices on a whim will hestitate this time before going crazy. I guess the media are good for something once in awhile....

Oh, don't you know.  That's not gouging, that's the free market and they are entitled to do it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]
It went down .02 since last week.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top