Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2011 4:42:55 AM EDT
Saw it last night and while it's nothing special I didn't find it absolutely terrible.

The super hadji sniper with the Dragunov made me chuckle though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:45:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Its a shitty movie with a shitty plot
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#2]
My brother is Army EOD. The movie is a farce and an embarrasment to the guys that actually do it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Nothing new for Hollywood these days though is it. It seems that the ARFCOM butthurt over this movie is stepped up a notch or 5.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:50:52 AM EDT
[#4]
IDK, I liked it.  I was entertained so the movie was a success in my book.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing new for Hollywood these days though is it. It seems that the ARFCOM butthurt over this movie is stepped up a notch or 5.

I think it was because it was so successful in the awards circut and everywhere else.  Its kinda like Obama winning the Nobel.  It just makes you hate it more
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't reconcile the scenes in the movie with my own personal combat experience.  It's just too far over the top that I can't even watch the movie to objectively consider what the plot is trying to explore.

In short, it's really, really bad.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah same here.  I'm not military, but in my opinion, it made EOD techs look awesome.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:54:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Hurt Locker is to the Iraq War what Jarhead is to Desert Storm.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#9]
because it portrays our military as a bunch of thugs and losers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:04:32 AM EDT
[#10]

I fell alseep.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:06:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My brother is Army EOD. The movie is a farce and an embarrasment to the guys that actually do it.

This ^^^. When the movie came out there was a huge ARF GD thread on it where several Army guys including one or two EOD guys picked apart the movie. General consensus from service members was, while it may be good Hollywood fun, its not very true to life.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But with fewer masturbating gay cowboys.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:17:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Masturbating gay cowboys would have at least made it watchable.

Hurt locker is absolutely un-realistic. I understand it's hollywood, but if you are going to market a movie as " the defining movie of the Iraq war", at least make it somewhat believable. Total horseshit from start to finish. The only thing they got right was the atmosphere and the scenery, you could almost smell baghdad coming out of the TV. Other than that it is fail and aids wrapped in a blanket covered in dick vomit.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Masturbating gay cowboys would have at least made it watchable.

Hurt locker is absolutely un-realistic. I understand it's hollywood, but if you are going to market a movie as " the defining movie of the Iraq war", at least make it somewhat believable. Total horseshit from start to finish. The only thing they got right was the atmosphere and the scenery, you could almost smell baghdad coming out of the TV. Other than that it is fail and aids wrapped in a blanket covered in dick vomit.

C'mon dude, I'm drinking coffee over here!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#15]
It's a m-o-v-i-e, not a documentary. It is for entertainment. I work at an "evil financial institution" & while I know that Wall Street 2 was complete and utter BS compared to real life, I still found it entertaining.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#16]

The actions of the team and section, were so off the wall, Getting Drunk, and playing with knives. and all that.

is total B.S. I lived and worked with EOD guys. In the past, and they had none of that. Silly Bull!

They are tight professional teams. Band of Brothers style. In the War Zone, they have their game face on.

and have your back as you would have theirs.

and are not Drunken Buffoons. all out by themselves.

the Seen in the Movie, that go me was not all the EOD,, things blowing up stuff.

it was when he got home and was in the Grocery Store isle picking out Cereal.

One day your in a war zone,,, making life and limb decision's,,, with you and your (team/ Army Family)

the next thing you know ,,,, your in Wally world,,,,,,,,, that One Extreme to the other, WOW! hit me like as ton of bricks. they showed that very well done in the movie,,

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Same attitude/comments were prevalent when Platoon came out. Its a fucking Hollywood movie made by liberal military hating shits who only want to cash in on the ignorance of the general public.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

the Seen in the Movie, that go me was not all the EOD,, things blowing up stuff.

it was when he got home and was in the Grocery Store isle picking out Cereal.
One day your in a war zone,,, making life and limb decision's,,, with you and your (team/ Army Family)
the next thing you know ,,,, your in Wally world,,,,,,,,, that One Extreme to the other, WOW! hit me like as ton of bricks. they showed that very well done in the movie,,

what he said...minus the grammar teacher's nightmare!  

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:01:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Its the same thing with Policeman , Fireman , Sports figures etc. Hollywood tries to make it appeal to the uninformed couch potatoes .  
I wish the guys that do this for real would put something together so us guys that are really interested could see things first hand. I would pay to see that !
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#20]
By far, the worst war movie ever made!!!  I shouldn't be surprised by the Oscar awards and such that it got from Hollyweird.  Your time could be better spent by smashing your nuts in a vice for two hours.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#21]
That movie was so craptastic on so many levels I don't even know where to start.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:19:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I thought the ending was good.  Told the whole story right there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I liked it, all except for the part where the guy's blood jammed up the Barrett. That was kinda stupid. From an entertainment perspective, I thought the movie was good. I don't need a movie to be accurate in all regards for me to be entertained by it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Everyone wanted it to be a great movie with compelling characters and a believable plot.

When it failed to live up to expectations, the hate became strong.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#25]
The portrayal of the contractors as thugs for one.

The Iraqi Sniper with the Dragonov...lame.

Evangeline Lilly, not getting naked enough...

Overall it was okay, but not a really good film.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#26]
i liked it....its just a movie and not real life.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

+1  First post.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

IDK, I liked it. I was entertained so the movie was a success in my book.

This.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IDK, I liked it. I was entertained so the movie was a success in my book.

This.

Me 3.  

It was entertaining.  I don't really expect correct military doctrine from a hollywood movie.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:37:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As Hunt For Red October and Crimson Tide are to submariners

ETA: Entertaining movies I enjoyed, but for realism?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I didn't hate it, but I was expecting something awesome and it was lame.  Too much hype, plus the over the top plot and characters.

If you want to see a film about war, rent/buy/borrow Restrepo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#32]
It was better then most war movies. Sure the 'action' was movie drama, but the setting and every day crap was more realistic. Probally my fav part is when he's playing sniper and the dude gets a juice pack and gives it to him to drink. Most movie writers would just have them chugging from canteenes.

Can't really say how accurate the EOD parts were, all I ever saw of EOD was they would drive thier robot around the parking lot next to our building picking up and crushing strategicly placed pop cans.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Going out on a one truck patrol, walking right up to an ied...and going through hostile territory at night on foot with 3 guys.......yup thats exactly how it happens
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^^^. When the movie came out there was a huge ARF GD thread on it where several Army guys including one or two EOD guys picked apart the movie. General consensus from service members was, while it may be good Hollywood fun, its not very true to life.

Which is true of almost all war movies.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Worst.  Movie.  Ever.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I didn't hate it, but I was expecting something awesome and it was lame.  Too much hype, plus the over the top plot and characters.

If you want to see a film about war, rent/buy/borrow Restrepo.

I admire the courage and the heroism of those soldiers but strictly as something to watch, Restrepo bored me to hell.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

that is the way I rate any and all movies..  

entertained = good

not entertained = bad

brian
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I thought it was a pretty good movie. It was very entertaining.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#39]
my problem wasn't with what happened in the desert... my problem was that this guy has a great child and he'd rather abandon him and tempt death than be with his son.  then in the end, after being arrogant and tempting death he just walks off into the sunset with no consequences.  the movie would have been much better if he had blown himself up.  it would have had a much deeper meaning.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought it was good entertainment, but I also  know it wasn't true to life.

That being said, as entertainment alone it wasn't bad.  It is nothing but entertainment..................that's it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I thought it was a good entertainment product.

I was not expecting great realism.

In previous threads on this, one of the hive's favorite items to bitch about is the magazine "with blood in it!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#42]
The way some people get so butt-hurt over this movie is pretty sad.

Like stated before. It's a Movie, not a documentary. Documentarys don't bring in big $, Movies do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This. I thought it was pretty good too...
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Going out on a one truck patrol, walking right up to an ied...and going through hostile territory at night on foot with 3 guys.......yup thats exactly how it happens

This. Next time you would be seen would be on a milk carton in the dfac!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Let's see;

Surgically-implanted bomb? (in Iraq)  Check.

Self-imposed lone-ranger manhunt mission?  Check.  Wait, that's two checks.

Political statement about private military contractors?  Check.

Bitter message about how all combat veterans are war-bent assholes?  Check.

Also, there are a lot of coddled, latte-swilling dipshits that think that most of that bullshit in the movie was real or based on real events.  Simply because the fucko that wrote it was in Iraq for two weeks.  Yeah, a vacation that gives you some real insight to the fight.  

Using the same line of reasoning I can dictate that I also know all about diving with sharks because I went to a fucking aquarium once.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Let's see;

Surgically-implanted bomb? (in Iraq)  Check.
Self-imposed lone-ranger manhunt mission?  Check.  Wait, that's two checks.
Political statement about private military contractors?  Check.
Bitter message about how all combat veterans are war-bent assholes?  Check.

Also, there are a lot of coddled, latte-swilling dipshits that think that most of that bullshit in the movie was real or based on real events.  Simply because the fucko that wrote it was in Iraq for two weeks.  Yeah, a vacation that gives you some real insight to the fight.  

Using the same line of reasoning I can dictate that I also know all about diving with sharks because I went to a fucking aquarium once.

Ya but.......did you spend two weeks there?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top