Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2007 10:00:39 PM EDT
I got my copy of 300 today at Costco.  

I have been wondering this though since I first saw this picture in the theaters.  Why did Miller chose to have the "Persians" done up as crosses between the crowd of heads at a pot festival and circus freaks?  All the bad guys are either mutants, mutilated, or covered with body piercings and tattos.  According to the "making of" voice over trac by the producer, director, and SF guy they copied the costume for Xersies and his harem and many of his freaks directly from the pages of the graphic novel.

Does anyone know what is the source of his dislike for radical body modification?  Story writers often try to make evil characters look as evil as they act, but to chose these particular motifs out of modern culture- why?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that its an aesthetic call to differentiate the greeks by making them rather pristine physical specimens and the persians who are "adulterated".

I'm not sure its a political statement so much as an aesthetic one though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Hardcore vs. Vanity.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If you ever have read some of the wild ass stuff Pilny and Heroditus wrote, you can understand where Miller got some of the ideas- just illustrate the Greek hyperbole and exaggeration literally.  But why he chose certain modern images and fads to illustrate this mixed in... I am curious.  Is he just trying to be recognizeable to young people?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top