Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/10/2006 7:33:12 AM EDT
Personally I think it's a great show, and I just can't get enough of it. Though it does bother me that they made the main cop a cop killer. Just the fact the he is the main character, people are automatically rooting for him.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:36:14 AM EDT
I think its a great show. Look in the general discussion forum they have a whole "official thread" for The Shield.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:32:12 AM EDT
I've tried to like it, but I digress. I just can't seem to get into liking corupt cops.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:20:06 AM EDT
I have no desire to watch it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:20:47 AM EDT
Don't like it. Crooked cops. Will not tolerate crooked cops. Holly-wierd stuff from Kommifornia.

Jynx
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:00:07 PM EDT
I love the show, but all it is good for is entertainment. Most of that stuff would never fly even if you werer Vic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:01:39 PM EDT
I like it
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:48:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jynx:
Don't like it. Crooked cops. Will not tolerate crooked cops. Holly-wierd stuff from Kommifornia.

Jynx

Just a little crooked.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:48:42 AM EDT
I like it as pure entertainment, kind of like a serialized "Training Day" without the constant drug use, but with the same sort of complicated but flawed bad guy in the lead. I've missed maybe two episodes since it started (thank heavens for Sunday night re-runs).
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:39:16 PM EDT
I read somewhere that it is based on the LAPD CRASH units that had some problems awhile back, anyone else see or here this?

Steve

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:22:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Peacekeeper3073:
I read somewhere that it is based on the LAPD CRASH units that had some problems awhile back, anyone else see or here this?

Steve

Tell me this isn't true.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:00:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2006 6:01:49 PM EDT by Docsprague]

Originally Posted By P806:

Steve

Tell me this isn't true.

The LAPD did have some corruption in the CRASH units but when does the LAPD not have some corruption some where. Than again when does any large department not have some corruption. I doubt it is based to heavily on the CRASH units because they were a uniformed unit, not plain clothes. Also much larger than a four man team.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:38:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Docsprague:

Steve

Tell me this isn't true.

The LAPD did have some corruption in the CRASH units but when does the LAPD not have some corruption some where. Than again when does any large department not have some corruption. I doubt it is based to heavily on the CRASH units because they were a uniformed unit, not plain clothes. Also much larger than a four man team.

When they say based on, that can be very loosely. Sort of like Heat was based on the LA bank robbery. 99% holywood, 1% true.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:56:48 PM EDT
The Shield makes Tuesday a good day. Great show.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:21:23 AM EDT
I like it. The only problem is that some of the dumber members of our society think those shows really depict how police work is done. Had a drug suspect once tell me he knew I was going to beat him with a telephone book. I told him he was high. He said "That's what they do on 'The Shield, man! I know how you guys are!" And he was dead serious. It was tempting to find a phone book and beat him senseless just for being so effing stupid.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:08:27 PM EDT
I like it. Its a tv show, not real life drama.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:11:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 8:12:03 PM EDT by GrahamD]
The Shield is loosely based on the Rampart Scandals of the 1980's in LA (I think). A thorough Googling would set this straight really quick. Evidently the Rampart Scandal involved a group of LAPD cops who operated pretty much like a street gang. A lot of renegade shit and all that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:04:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bruh44:

Steve

Tell me this isn't true.

When they say based on, that can be very loosely. Sort of like Heat was based on the LA bank robbery. 99% holywood, 1% true.

The bank robbery was based on heat. The robbers had the video in thier hotel room.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:39:26 AM EDT
I think its awesome!

I have all seasons on dvd and waiting for the next
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:35:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M15A2:

Steve

Tell me this isn't true.

The bank robbery was based on heat. The robbers had the video in thier hotel room.

The real robbery was in 1995, heat came out in 1999.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:42:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 1:44:33 PM EDT by M15A2]

Originally Posted By M15A2:

Steve

Tell me this isn't true.

The real robbery was in 1995, heat came out in 1999.

Bank Robbery 1997

Heat 1995

20 seconds on Google
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:38:10 PM EDT

Detective Mackey is the leader of the Strike Team, a brutal four-man anti-gang unit based on the LAPD's real-life Rampart Division CRASH unit. The Strike Team uses a variety of violent and extortive methods to maintain peace on the streets, while maintaining their own profits through drug protection schemes and robbery. Much like its inspiration, the Strike Team isn't above planting drugs on and coercing confessions out of gang members. Attempts to give the team a fifth member have frequently led to near-catastrophe for the group.

Creator Shawn Ryan's original title of the show was "The Barn". The FX network feared that potential audiences might be turned away by that, because they might think it was a gardening show or something similar. "Rampart" was also considered, after the controversial corruption charges against the Rampart division of the Los Angeles Police Department. This title was used in early promotional materials, including several TV spots. Upon opposition from the LAPD, as well as the fact that people not familiar with the Rampart scandal might not understand the name, the title was changed at the last minute to "The Shield".

The uniformed officers originally wore realistic LAPD-style badges over their left breast, which is standard in the real Los Angeles Police Department, as it is symbolically over the heart. After criticism from the real LAPD over the show's depiction of corrupt cops, the badges were replaced with less realistic badges which were worn over the right breast, starting midway through the first season.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:50:31 PM EDT
I really enjoy the show even though I certainly don't agree with their techniques.

I just finished the third season and it was a little weird. I'm working on the fourth season and it's good so far.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:12:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:

[

The uniformed officers originally wore realistic LAPD-style badges over their left breast, which is standard in the real Los Angeles Police Department, as it is symbolically over the heart. After criticism from the real LAPD over the show's depiction of corrupt cops, the badges were replaced with less realistic badges which were worn over the right breast, starting midway through the first season.

Interesting I will have to pull out season one and check that out. I never noticed before.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:40:08 PM EDT
I remember trailers for a new show called Rampart, then shortly before its release, the title was changed to'The Shield'.

I like it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:00:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:

[

Interesting I will have to pull out season one and check that out. I never noticed before.

It's on the pilot show. The first one where Vic shoots the other cop.
Top Top