Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 8:35:28 AM EDT
I am ready to do this now and have forgotten what all i need.

thanks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
1: A second battery
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1: A second battery

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, the second battery is good.

You also need a wiring harness, and some way to mount it.

I don't know how much room you've got under the hood, but sometimes you want to replace both batteries so that you can mount them sideways.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#4]
And if you're going to use the second battery to run accessory systems then you would want an isolator module so that you don't accidently run the main battery down.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I know I need second battery

What is the best kind of Isolator is the best?

What size of welding cable should I use?  I understand welding cable is less expensive than battery cables.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Reading this migh help.

Dual Batteries
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got dual Optima Red tops in my 99'
I found a 98' that had dual batteries, but was out of commission.  I removed the bettery tray and installed it in mine.
I bought a 4 gauge wire and connected the two, grounded the second battery on one of the mounting bolts for my alternator.  No isolator, just wired in parallel.

I tested the starting ability of each while the other was disconnected.  Each operated like a dream.  I haven't had any starting troubles in over 2 years now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top