Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/18/2017 11:33:36 PM EDT

Just watched it.

I give it a solid "meh" on the -just watched another franchise movie- scale and 4 out 5 facepalms for leaving things open and not explaining shit.

Another fucking disappointment.

I was really bummed with Prometheus

Been waiting for covenant dvd release and it was suppose to be out the 15th, but none of the kiosks have it. According to them it hasn't been released yet. You can rent from a kiosk for $2.

Comcast has it available for $6 on demand.

Damn I hate paying comcast more money. An extra $4 isnt the issue, its the principle. Comcast fucks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
... watched it today. Alien and Aliens is a hard act to follow. I tried to like it, was OK but still only 6.5/10. I'll tell you this; I'll never listen to John Denver music the same
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It's more violent and less cerebral than Prometheus, but it's not as good as Alien or Aliens.

Biggest problem as far as I was concerned was that it suffered from Prometheus's big problem, which was smart people doing stupid, stupid things that got them killed. I didn't mind the musings on who our makers are nearly as much as that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I enjoyed it because it looked good and had some interesting musings. It's not a classic like the original movies but it was worthwhile.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't pay to see it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I liked it, the next few should be good.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I was disappointed. Tied story together ok but glad I did PPV only and didn't waste time seeing in theater or buying a copy. Would not watch again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry you didn't like Prometheus...

It's fun scary. (Not nightmare horror scary).

Just make some popcorn and enjoy it. Don't get caught up in the minutiae.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
David is a dick.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought it kinda sucked a bit.  ********  spoiler ********* smart enough to fly space craft but not any common sense between any of them. had a good moment or two here and there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Biggest problem as far as I was concerned was that it suffered from Prometheus's big problem, which was smart people doing stupid, stupid things that got them killed. I didn't mind the musings on who our makers are nearly as much as that.
View Quote
Same.

Covenant > Prometheus

The concept of the virus spreading through spores and then requiring face huggers makes no sense.

But other than that, the action is better.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
David is a dick.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm beginning to think Ridley Scott doesn't like our robot overlords very much...

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh it was ok getting tired of them
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:56:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Bad cgi kind of ruins it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm beginning to think Ridley Scott doesn't like our robot overlords very much...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
David is a dick.

That isn't a new theme of his.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Same.

Covenant > Prometheus

The concept of the virus spreading through spores and then requiring face huggers makes no sense.

But other than that, the action is better.
View Quote
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I just bought it...

It might suck. I'll know in 2 hours.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#17]
It was ok.  Not as scary as Alien.  Not as good of action as Aliens.  Tries to borrow a bit too much from earlier movies and doesn't break new ground.  I'm tiring of movies whose sole purpose is to provide back story to classic movies.  I'd prefer a new movie that moves forward with the the story.

Still an ok watch though.  Maybe my 4th favorite of the 6 films.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Thought it was good
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Funny this thread popping up.  Bought it yesterday and just finished watching it.

I have never seen the Prometheus film, it was ok but I regret paying $19 for it.  I may watch it again in a few months.  I would give it a 5/10.

Did have a nice little spin at the end, but it was easy enough to guess before the spin came.  Action was good.  Nice weapons and ACOGS.

I must have missed it but I never heard the John Denver song in the movie other than where they were decoding it from the helmet.  And that was garbled.

I know they played it in the trailers I saw.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I slam Prometheus every chance I get, but Covenant was good. I think it did an excellent job tying the whole mythos together
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#21]
dreadful movie...
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#22]
It sucked.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
I get from the movie that David brought the virus on the Prometheus . . . what was the virus originally from?

He tested the virus on Dr. Shaw and the other engineers left alive, tried to refine it, grew the eggs and hoped to use them to see what he would get?

I just don't understand how the evolutionary chain went from airborne spores which are an excellent way to spread disease/viruses and refinement led to eggs/facehuggers
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I didn't like the ending, damn AI. Overall good movie
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:12:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was really bummed with Prometheus

Been waiting for covenant dvd release and it was suppose to be out the 15th, but none of the kiosks have it. According to them it hasn't been released yet. You can rent from a kiosk for $2.

Comcast has it available for $6 on demand.

Damn I hate paying comcast more money. An extra $4 isnt the issue, its the principle. Comcast fucks.
View Quote

I thought it was great but I liked Prometheus. Covenant does have David in it and it is a continuation of prometheus which I thought was cool!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I think it was decent. Not awe inspiring, but decent.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#27]
better than prometheus.  not a complete waste of time.

alien 3 is a solid comp.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:22:13 AM EDT
[#28]
It's better than Prometheus.

The only film in that franchise that I don't like is Alien: Resurrection.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:25:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's better than Prometheus.

The only film in that franchise that I don't like is Alien: Resurrection.
View Quote
Resurrection is in a whole different realm.

Does it deserve the "Alien" name? No. Hard No.

but it is fun
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I really enjoyed it but it did have some plot holes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Well when I saw the trailer, I really thought I was watching an ad for a video game until the title displayed at the end.  Due to the amount and quality of the cgi.  That can't be a good sign.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:39:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
dreadful movie...
View Quote
this.. how anyone could like this movie is beyond me. imho promethius sucked and this sucked even worse. it had no heart, a shitty story, and it's a shame this is where the alien franchise is right now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:41:25 AM EDT
[#33]
It's worse than Prometheus

Which was the worst film ever up until covenant.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:43:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Would like my money back
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:44:28 AM EDT
[#35]
For a movie on its own, it's pretty good. 7/10. 

Better than Prometheus, which was 6/10. 

But in the Aliens universe, it's a 5/10 and Prometheus is a 4/10. Alien is 9.5/10 and Aliens is 10/10.

I did like the ending, although Stevie Wonder could probably see it coming.

It still had a repeat of the retarded things that Prometheus did: Click To View SpoilerIt was ok. I'll likely pick it up on Blu-Ray when I see it for a great price.

ETA: KENNY POWERS!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:48:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Thought it was awesome.  IMO Prometheus sucked but Covenant was really good
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:55:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Fucking not really.

They'll likely never recapture the magic of the marines vs aliens in the ALIENS movie.  <sigh>  
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:59:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Fuck no.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's more violent and less cerebral than Prometheus, but it's not as good as Alien or Aliens.

View Quote
While I haven't seen it yet, Prometheus gave me the impression that Scott is trying too hard to create a deep, complex tale of origins.  The 1st movie was marked by its depth,p without attempting to spell it all out.  It allows the viewers imagination to run with it & try to fill in the blanks.  Scott could learn from his early work & Dan O'Bannon's clever storytelling style.  The original space jockey was a cybernetic organism that was an integral part of the ship, not a bipedal humanoid, but what we got in Prometheus seemed like a bland, half-baked reexplanation of something was obviously (to me) conceptually darker, bizarre, &, well, alien by comparison.  

I'd rather he gave us no answer than the poor excuses we got.  And PhD characters acting like ignorant hoods is damn poor character crafting & story crafting.  There seems to be a boatload of extremely weak writers in the industry anymore.

I'm not expecting great things from Covenent.  Its box office results seem to support my tepid outlook.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:04:29 AM EDT
[#40]
I enjoyed it. Bourbon helped.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:13:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Rated from best to worst imho:

Aliens
Alien
Covenant
AvP
AvP R
Prometheus
Alien 3
Alien resurrection
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:15:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Honest Trailers - Alien: Covenant
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:34:12 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm glad I saw it at the discount theater for $2.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:10:15 AM EDT
[#44]
It was the worst movie I have even seen.  I liked 3 things.  Fassbender, Danny McBride and the cinematography.  Angry Joe's review pretty much mirrors my own plus brings up more things I didn't think of after watching it.  I hate it so much that thinking about it can make me angry and disgusted.  I even went in with low expectations.  Ridly Scott should never make another movie ever again and now we cant get Bloomkamps sequel to Aliens that would have undone the Alien 3 bullshit.

That's just me though maybe you'll love it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:11:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.  Ruined the movie for me.  Wife was the same way, teenaged son kept asking me "They wouldn't really do that, would they?".  Glaringly bad choices.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Comcast fucks.

You heard it here first.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:18:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Same here.  Ruined the movie for me.  Wife was the same way, teenaged son kept asking me "They wouldn't really do that, would they?".  Glaringly bad choices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.   A thousand times this.

Galaxy Quest wasn't far off.    "...is there even air, YOU DON'T KNOW *Holds breath*"    
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Hollywood is great at destroying art.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:29:33 AM EDT
[#49]
It was so so. Worth watching on HBO or something, not really worth paying for.

Quoted:
For a movie on its own, it's pretty good. 7/10. 

Better than Prometheus, which was 6/10. 

But in the Aliens universe, it's a 5/10 and Prometheus is a 4/10. Alien is 9.5/10 and Aliens is 10/10.

I did like the ending, although Stevie Wonder could probably see it coming.

It still had a repeat of the retarded things that Prometheus did: Click To View SpoilerIt was ok. I'll likely pick it up on Blu-Ray when I see it for a great price.

ETA: KENNY POWERS!!!
View Quote
It added the most monumentally stupid thing of all--

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:37:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It was so so. Worth watching on HBO or something, not really worth paying for.

It added the most monumentally stupid thing of all--

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Click To View Spoiler
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top