Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/7/2007 2:53:49 PM EDT

This biplane was doing tight figure 8's at very very low levels at least 5 or six passes directly over our neighborhood. Much lower than any normal flight ever is. Low enought to easily see the pilot's face. Maybe a few hundred feet at the most. I called the police and they said there's nothing they can do about it. So I called the nearest municipal airport and they said they have no authority over where private planes fly or how low they fly over residential neighborhoods. So I called the FAA and they weren't answering.

We're gonna be attacked very soon.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#1]
When Ozzy's lead guitarist crashes into your house post pics.

Other wise don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Declare a no fly zone and then shoot the fucker down.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Get out the .50.  If it can shoot down satellites, a biplane should be short work.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I love it when we get calls from irate people from miles away complaining about a loud aircraft. I'm sorry but only the FAA can police such a thing and even if you get a registration (N number) if the guy has a good aliby then it is unenforcable. Just be glad it doesn't happen very often.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Get out the .50.  If it can shoot down satellites, a biplane should be short work.

What's wrong with .303 british or .308? I'm sure if .303 British could down German 109s it can down a bi-plane.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
So a flight of 2 Biplanes and 1 other plane flew over me yesterday so low I could see the bolts and rivits.But I was at an airport about 100yds from the runway. It was awesome
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Bum a ride and drop a Shit Bomb on the dude down the street!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I love it when we get calls from irate people from miles away complaining about a loud aircraft. I'm sorry but only the FAA can police such a thing and even if you get a registration (N number) if the guy has a good aliby then it is unenforcable. Just be glad it doesn't happen very often.

So can I use my slingshot to chase the intruder out of my airspace?

I bet flyboy will get all his MIB to come test my door hinges if I started pinging ball-bearings off the underside of his wings or start lazering him in the eyes as he repeatedly buzzes over my property at near-treetop level.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a Stearman that does the same thing here....I love it!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]

by the way. This same thing happened two days before 9-11 attacks. Maybe it's a "go signal" for a local cell.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Wait until you have some drunken schmoe in an AG-CAT spray your house with some nice pesticides...

I was standing in the yard with a large firearm on his second pass.

An understanding was reached.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the "N" number and call the FAA. 500 feet is probably the lowest he is allowed to fly over your area and I believe aerobatics can only be performed in designated practice areas.

The law firm I work for is statutory agent for several LLCs that own aircraft. Most of them are on the lease line when not in use by the owners. I have had several calls from the FAA wanting to speak to the owner after the aircraft was reported doing something it shouldn't have.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#14]
And in what way is this harming you?

I wonder what it was like to live in a free country?  

If it bothers you so much, just google his tail number, then send him a letter asking him to fly somewhere else.  

Don't rat people out to the Feds unless lives are at stake, and there are no other alternatives.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This biplane was doing tight figure 8's at very very low levels at least 5 or six passes directly over our neighborhood. Much lower than any normal flight ever is. Low enought to easily see the pilot's face. Maybe a few hundred feet at the most. I called the police and they said there's nothing they can do about it. So I called the nearest municipal airport and they said they have no authority over where private planes fly or how low they fly over residential neighborhoods. So I called the FAA and they weren't answering.

We're gonna be attacked very soon.

Welcome to Chandler, AZ, Troll.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#16]
   Last summer, We had a plane come over low, but at a respectable height. Not a biplane but one of those early open cockpit monoplanes that looked  like a biplane.He had the engine feathered back ( I think they call it)  and was just barely floatingin the clear blue sky.

The kids and I were out on the back deck and we waved up at him. He saw us and waggled his wings. I felt like a kid during WWII , thrilled to see an air ace.

It was great, I guess I should have called and complained
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Most people go from sound, not distance. It is very hard to judge 500' by sight alone. I do a lot of low level work and I can tell by the hair on the back of my neck that we have been here too long (usually taking pictures). BTW in class G airspace, there is no altitude limit from the landscape only from structures and persons. So you can dance in the sage brush all you want (not that it is all that smart).
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#18]
You assholes that want to write down the N number and call the police or the FAA are the kind of whiney crybaby little bitches that make flying not fun anymore. You contribute to the FAA being just like the ATF but for aviation.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#19]
So why was you scared of an airplane?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You assholes that want to write down the N number and call the police or the FAA are the kind of whiney crybaby little bitches that make flying not fun anymore. You contribute to the FAA being just like the ATF but for aviation.

Fly over my place.....7AM to 6PM (no jumbos please )....I quite enjoy it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The observer (TrollAccount) is not qualified to estimate the height of the airplane, and especially not qualified to determine whether aerobatic manuevers occurred.

WTH? Come on.....  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Why would he be concerned if bits of lead are flying upward(because he is disturbing people on the ground!)  gee.  Go find another less busy place to fly than over residences.

And about the free country.  What about my right to pursue life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?  I would like to have some peace without some yeah hoo barnstorming me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#24]
we had a rogue helicopter pilot once giving helicopter rides in town, that was buzzing over the tops of rooftops and trees by only 30-40 feet. fucking asshole did it for 3-4 hours and into the night, also the next day. fucking annoying as hell
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd be inclined to beg a free airplane ride!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#26]
The last time I posted in one of these threads, I got my ass kicked.  

Why don't you just drag out a lounge chair, a cooler of beer and enjoy the show?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The last time I posted in one of these threads, I got my ass kicked.  

Why don't you just drag out a lounge chair, a cooler of beer and enjoy the show?

Dont worry buddy...we all take a beating at some point.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Get into a dogfight!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Get the "N" number and call the FAA. 500 feet is probably the lowest he is allowed to fly over your area and I believe aerobatics can only be performed in designated practice areas.

The law firm I work for is statutory agent for several LLCs that own aircraft. Most of them are on the lease line when not in use by the owners. I have had several calls from the FAA wanting to speak to the owner after the aircraft was reported doing something it shouldn't have.

I have the number.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Crybaby. Get a lawn chair and a beer and enjoy the show. I loved it when the crop duster pilots would do their turns right over my house. But I'm an airplane geek, so maybe my panties are less likely to bunch up over having a rare airplane overfly my house...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Crybaby. Get a lawn chair and a beer and enjoy the show. I loved it when the crop duster pilots would do their turns right over my house. But I'm an airplane geek, so maybe my panties are less likely to bunch up over having a rare airplane overfly my house...

But he's in MY airspace!

And the last time it happened was two days before 9-11.

Don't you see the connection?

It could be a signal to activate a local cell.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Some years back, September or October of 01 when the Anthrax scares were still occurring, Mosquito Control got a new plane.

I had never seen it before, an the old one was a helicopter, so I was just a tad concerned when I look up to see that I'm being sprayed.

I was pretty sure it was MC, but called the non emergency police switchboard, to check.  It would seem that a few thousand other folks had my concerns as well.

The dispatcher was quite exasperated as she explained for the hundredth time, I'm sure.

"So... I shouldn't shoot him down?"

She paused, and then said loudly enough for everyone in the dispatch center to hear..."No, sir, please do not shoot down the Mosquito Plane!"

I always wish that I was quick enough to have shouted "Cease far, yall... It's just a skeeter plane!"  But alas, I am not that witty.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But he's in MY airspace!

Are you serious?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But he's in MY airspace!

Are you serious?

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry, the air above your property does not belong to you.

(Only in response to the statement "He's in MY airspace")

If he is truly buzzing you, then he needs to be slapped down. Idiots like that give the rest of us pilots a bad name. Then the calls for more regulation and banning start. Sound familiar?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Climb on your roof and menace the pilot with an AK or AR. If he reports it, they can take up on why he was flying so low and over a residential hood.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I saw someone walking across the parking lot with 3 rifles, and they weren't even in a case.  I could tell they were dangerous.  One was all black, and it had one of those long tube things on top so you can see a mile to shoot.  I think they call those scopes or something.  That gun was way more dangerous than my grandpa's shotgun, I could tell, no one needs that many dangerous guns, and they were too close to other people, what if one exploded?

I don't know what was going on, but I called the police.

Did they have the "Shoulder Thing That Goes Up?"
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

If he is truly buzzing you, then he needs to be slapped down. Idiots like that give the rest of us pilots a bad name. Then the calls for more regulation and banning start. Sound familiar?

Well then who does it belong to? Certainly not to THAT GUY!

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The observer (TrollAccount) is not qualified to estimate the height of the airplane, and especially not qualified to determine whether aerobatic manuevers occurred.

WTH? Come on.....  

Actually, he is right.

If you think he isn't, than tell us what the minimum height is for flying over the OP's area.

And then tell us the definition of aerobatic manuevers.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Clarification: Let's say someone makes a really stupid post. I understand it would be a CoC violation to say "That person is a retard", but would it be a CoC violation to ask "Is that person retarded?" The first statement is a baseless insult to the developmentally disabled, but the second question is a sincere inquiry into a medical evaluation of the intellectual capacity of a person, based on posts that make about as much sense as shingling doghouses with pancakes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's mine, actually. Either send me a check, or stop breathing it, because it is NOT yours.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Climb on your roof and menace the pilot with an AK or AR. If he reports it, they can take up on why he was flying so low and over a residential hood.

Ah, he would get a letter, and you would go to jail.  Wouldn't it be better to just flip him off, and hope he lands to discuss it with you?  

Or you could do what we used to do at an (un-named) European Nuke base and use bed sheets to spell out obscenities so the Russian recon sattelite weenies could get a thrill.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's federal territory.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So can I use my slingshot to chase the intruder out of my airspace?

I bet flyboy will get all his MIB to come test my door hinges if I started pinging ball-bearings off the underside of his wings or start lazering him in the eyes as he repeatedly buzzes over my property at near-treetop level.

Those would be federal felonies...

What he's doing is AT THE MAXIMUM a FAA rules violation...

If that...

If you're out in the sticks, he's only required to be 500ft above ground level...

Over a populated area it's 1000ft...

That's MUCH lower than you think it is...

As for aerobatics,

Sec. 91.303 - Aerobatic flight.

No person may operate an aircraft in aerobatic flight --

(a) Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement;

(b) Over an open air assembly of persons;

(c) Within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for an airport;

(d) Within 4 nautical miles of the center line of any Federal airway;

(e) Below an altitude of 1,500 feet above the surface; or

(f) When flight visibility is less than 3 statute miles.

For the purposes of this section, aerobatic flight means an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in an aircraft's attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not necessary for normal flight.

Steep turns are not considered aerobatics...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Enjoy the show?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Enjoy the show?

Except for the fact he was performing too low, yes.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTH? Come on.....  

"Figure 8's" don't qualify as aerobatice flight.  Nor does low flight, and I can guarantee that if he hasn't spent several thousand hours at an airport, engaging in flying activities, he can't estimate the height of the airplane above the ground.

Now then, I'm being contrarian, because I expect what he observed was low flying, but that's not the point.  How many of your neighbors are qualified to determine the first accurate detail about a rifle they see you carrying?  What about when they call the police to make a report from a good, compliant citizen sheeple, causing you no end of aggravation born in the neighbor's ignorance?

Dont get me wrong, I would guess that the plane was doing Lazy 8's at a respectable height.  Not an "aerobatic manuever" that should raise any alarms....

Now, IF the guy was doing a tailslide or an English Bunt (for example) I would hope the OP would know the difference.  

Thats all I am sayin....
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTH? Come on.....  

Actually, he is right.

If you think he isn't, than tell us what the minimum height is for flying over the OP's area.

And then tell us the definition of aerobatic manuevers.  

Oh boy....
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#50]
If he was that low, perhaps it is a good day to teach the kids how to build & launch model rockets?  Any fireworks left over from the fourth?    (that is if fireworks are legal where you are)  Model rockets can be launched pretty much anywhere where they wont jeapordize approaching and departing airplanes  iirc.  If he is low enough for model rockets to be an issue, he is too low over a residential area.   I can see the concern of having someone playing that low over a residential area.  If the pilot experiences a failure at low altitude, stalls out, etc, he has way less chance to recover and would put those below in danger.  I would video tape it if it that low so its altitude can be shown in relation to trees and houses, N-number, pilots face, etc.

I took great issue with the bikes in my neighborhood with straight pipes or no baffles waking my kids up after 10 pm at night, so whenever I hear them, I call the county sheriff's office and complain.  IL does have laws requiring adequate  mufflers on all vehicles.  

Call the FAA back on Tuesday as this is a holiday weekend, and they are a gov't office.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top