Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 8:37:08 PM EST
So I've got this police test this weekend and after the written test is the physical test. I gotta run 500 yards and hop a 6 foot wall in 2 minutes. Already read the post on the best way to hop a 6 footer, but another part of the test is dragging a 165 pound dummy something like 30 feet in 15 seconds. Any tips on how to grab/hold/brace the dummy and drag it?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:39:32 PM EST
Tell them you are female and want need to drag the lighter dummy that the women use, 'cause men and women are equal.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:41:15 PM EST
Use your car.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:42:24 PM EST
30 feet in 15 seconds???
DAMN SON! WTF IS THE PROBLEM?

Even I can do that!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:44:17 PM EST
fireman's carry?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:45:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By bastiat:
fireman's carry?

I prefer the Catholic priest carry

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:48:23 PM EST

fireman's carry?

Beat me to it.

If it has to be dragged I say hook under the armpits from behind and drag backwards.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:50:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By tac45:

fireman's carry?

Beat me to it.

If it has to be dragged I say hook under the armpits from behind and drag backwards.

That's he best way to do it. Just make sure you don't trip over your own feet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:52:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/6/2004 8:53:19 PM EST by Misery]
Cut it up into pieces.

Oh, you're saving them? Nevermind
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:54:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By tac45:

fireman's carry?

Beat me to it.

Just don't turn it into a full nelson while you're trying to help them!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:55:57 PM EST
OK So under the arms, from behind and interlock fingers?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:59:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By Blue84S10:
OK So under the arms, from behind and interlock fingers?

I wouldn't interlock fingers, just one hand over wrist holding it. Makes it easier to disengage in case of an unexpected emergency.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:08:36 PM EST
noose?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:16:18 AM EST

I had to do this a couple of years ago for a police physical fitness test. They made it easy on us though. The dummy had two knotted ropes attached to it's back. I grabbed both ropes in one hand and just dragged the mofo as hard as I could.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:51:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By Misery:
Cut it up into pieces.

Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them pigs!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:01:54 AM EST
Some sort of pulley system after tying a rope around the dummy's neck. If the dummy is less than 5'5" that motherfucker is overweight.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:04:37 AM EST
I had to drag a person in a police test once. Everyone lost time trying to grab him under the arms. I grabbed the cuffs of his pants and took off dragging him and beat everyone's time. If it is in a gym and they allow you to do this, do it. I wouldn't if it was in a gravel lot! The guy, a captain, said he enjoyed the ride!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:48:42 AM EST
shirt collar from behind
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:54:04 AM EST
By the balls.......their hearts and minds will follow.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:55:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By XeroSygnal:
The dummy had two knotted ropes attached to it's back.

Interesting idea for the testers, but I've never seen a victim at an accident scene who was nice enough to hook themselves
up like this.

For our agility test, we had to do the dummy drag also. I just did the "grab them under the arm and take off" deal.

Like Dukota said, just make sure you don't trip yourself up. I was more afraid of that, than of not finishing the test in time....
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:14:35 AM EST
Male or female dummy?

If male, by the shirt collar...

If female, like a bowling ball (think about it)
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:23:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By Misery:
Cut it up into pieces.

Damn, beat me to it.

- 30 seconds doesn't allow much time to rig up anything. I would have said take your belt off and loop it under their arms, but that would be a time killer.

- Probably have to agree on the collar from behind or by the arms, both of which will get the person there while getting all kinds of debris in their ass crack.

- By the legs... wouldn't this provide more leverage against the weight which is mostly in the upper body? Not a physics major.

- Practice? Why not just get a battle buddy and try a bunch of different way and see what works best for you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:27:47 AM EST
Friends help you move, REAL friends help you move bodies.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:30:11 AM EST
The best position is to grab from behind under the armpits and either interlock your fingers or just grab your other wrist. The idea is to get the dummys chest and torso almost even with your own, this helps eliminate drag or friction between the dummy and the ground. As a fireman, I do this quite often in training and found this to be the best way. The firemans carry is not appropriate for such a short distance, you'll spend too much time trying to hoisting it up. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:43:38 AM EST
If it is a female, you have to use the upper torso.

If you drag them by the feet, they fill up with dirt...
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:59:26 AM EST
First off, remind yourself how LONG 30 seconds is. "1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, 3 mississippi..." and how short 30 feet is. You have all the time in the world. You can do it in 10 seconds easy. 15 seconds may be what it takes a 5 foot tall 100 pound female officer to do that task, but your average guy isn't going to have that much trouble.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:03:17 AM EST
Just kick them the distance like a soccer ball.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:19:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/7/2004 6:19:54 AM EST by Leisure_Shoot]
You can't throw them over your shoulder?

I used to haul around 2- 80 lb bags of water softener salt on my shoulders all the time.

I am far from a He-Man.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:21:32 AM EST
you need to quit playing around here and make up a crude catapult, 30 feet, ha!, how about 130 FPS
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:16:26 AM EST
Meat hook anybody?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:43:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By fireguy:
The best position is to grab from behind under the armpits and either interlock your fingers or just grab your other wrist. The idea is to get the dummys chest and torso almost even with your own, this helps eliminate drag or friction between the dummy and the ground. As a fireman, I do this quite often in training and found this to be the best way. The firemans carry is not appropriate for such a short distance, you'll spend too much time trying to hoisting it up. Good luck.

I'll second Fireguy's method. Dragging Rescue Randy is a hell of a lot easier if you get him up off the ground as much as possible:

E-95
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:59:23 AM EST
I see the deck hands on long range tuna boats throwing 200 lb fish all over the place using nothing but a gaff.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:01:27 AM EST
Look around, can you fashion a rudamentary Lathe?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:03:25 AM EST
Do you have a truck with a winch?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:22:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By Blue84S10:
So I've got this police test this weekend and after the written test is the physical test. I gotta run 500 yards and hop a 6 foot wall in 2 minutes. Already read the post on the best way to hop a 6 footer, but another part of the test is dragging a 165 pound dummy something like 30 feet in 15 seconds. Any tips on how to grab/hold/brace the dummy and drag it?

Drag?
C'mon now. Hoist it into a firemans carry and run.
165? That's nothing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:35:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/7/2004 8:36:01 AM EST by Wildweasel]
I will burn for this, but how about 2 to the chest and 1 to the head?
Firemans carry.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:28:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:42:00 PM EST
Check the pose in the fire challenge pic... many of our candidates try to hoist the dummy up into that position, but wind up leaning towards the dummy, and away from their destination - it uses their own weight against them. But you have to be able to hoist the dummy up there, hold it there, and manuever with a set of obstacles that follow you - the dummies legs. The hardest part is finding something to hang on to.

If you wind up dragging by the arms/collar, try to lean towards the finish line as much as possible - that way, you're using your mass, as well as your muscles, to drag the weight. We used to drag a 50' 2 1/2"Double Jacketed hose that was filled with water - watching the folks trying to pull it without leaning was like watching Marcel Marceu walk against the wind.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:24:44 PM EST

Oh no, here it comes....
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:45:33 AM EST
Do it the real police way. Walk up to the dummy, yell "Get up mutherfucker. I'm not carrying your drunk ass!" If the dummy doesn't respond, hit him on the bottom of his feet with your nightstick until he gets moving. If you can't wake him up, call paramedics to take him to the hospital, he may be dead.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:43:33 AM EST
We do this every six months, and the dummy drag is the last thing on the agility course. It really depends on the dummy, as some of the newer models have their arms permanenetly molded in a down position.

If it has free-swinging arms, bend over, grab one of the arms, stand up straight (important) and rapidly walk backwards, using your legs to do all of the work. That is generally the quickest way. If it is one with the non-movable downward-facing arms, grab them under the arms and drag. We switched to that dummy, and the testing folks put a spare LBV on it after a few days because people's hands kept slipping off the danged thing.

As a funny note, we also had to put flight suits on our drag dummy and our weighted takedown dummy. Our agility course is next to a busy highway, and every time we tested our folks or new applicants, Internal Affairs started to get complaints that we were beating naked people up (and to make things worse, one of the dummies had a brown cloth exterior).
Top Top