Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2006 5:37:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#1]
(Jeralyn Merritt blogs daily at TalkLeft: The Politics of Crime)

Hmm wonder what her normal point of view is.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Price of freedom, but sad none the less.

Bob
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Attention whore, IMO. No self-respecting Marine whines about how rough combat was. Deal with it & move your ass long. No doubt he misses all the attention he got with his pic & his faggotty assed cigarette. He ought to hang out with some Chosin Marines for a few days & see how far his whining shit caries!!!!!!  

I'd slap the shit out of him like his DI should've done.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I gotta call BS on this article.

One day, as Miller headed for the smoke deck with a Marlboro, a passing sailor made a whistling sound just like a rocket-propelled grenade. "I don't remember grabbing him. I don't remember putting him against the bulkhead. I don't remember getting him down on the floor. I don't remember getting on top of him. I don't remember doing any of that s -- ," Miller said. "That was like the last straw."

How in the fuck can a person imitate the sound of an RPG flying through the air? That's about damn near fucking impossible, and for someone to mistake any human sound for it is rediculous.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing like using a soldier that's been through hell to further your left wing agenda.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nothing like using a soldier that's been through hell to further your left wing agenda.

A Marine is NOT a GD soldier, sir.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then what is he, a fucking tricycle?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

He is a fucking Marine.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I will say through, that PTSD is a serious issue and a lot of people suffer from it needlessly. They confuse talking about their problems and feelings with weekness, and sometimes it has to be done to heal ones self.

So, while i call BS on the article content I still feel soldiers, marines, fireman, etc., should be tested for PTSD and enformed and encouraged to seek help if symptoms crop up later.

- rem

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh lord here comes the Marines are better than soldiers debate.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No, I respect anyone who serves. Just as any Soldier wouldn't/doesn't like to be called a "Sailor" or "Marine", it's also vice versa.

If someone is to GD stupid to not be able to tell the difference, they should stay the fuck off of the internet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Attention whore, IMO. No self-respecting Marine whines about how rough combat was. Deal with it & move your ass long. No doubt he misses all the attention he got with his pic & his faggotty assed cigarette. He ought to hang out with some Chosin Marines for a few days & see how far his whining shit caries!!!!!!  

Agreed. He is either a pussy or those are some liberal lies.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Bring it!

HOOOAAAHHH!!! (not oorraahh)
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!! (not "hit the beach")

Rivalry keeps things lively!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Bad ass or wimp he worked for us. I would like to thank him and if he needs a little help getting back to civilian life no problem.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In case you don't know, one of the worst insults you can offer a Marine is call them a soldier.  Next would be not capitalizing the "M" in the title Marine.

If you forget either of those, you are sure to be schooled.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I'd slap the shit out of him like his DI should've done

I'm speechless.

In 2005, a total of 317,000 vets were treated for PTSD

I'll apologise for the other 98% of the human race, not everyone is a he man killer with no concience or after thought when they get home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]
PTSD can be a bitch, but it can be treated and "cured".
On the article I have to call

The style in which it is written tells me that the slant is very left.
This Marine was idolized by the media and they at the time tried to play him as a "bad boy" becaused he smoked. Now the media wishes to break him because he is human, and it suits their ideals that we are the bad country and our men in service are hopeless physco's.

My 2 cents take at that value.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted: No self-respecting Marine whines about how rough combat was. Deal with it & move your ass long
He ought to hang out with some Chosin Marines for a few days & see how far his whining shit caries!!!!!!  

I know one. 1st Marines. Spoke to Chesty Puller at least once. ANGLICO. Still can't walk properly thanks to cold damage to the legs. Took grenade shrapnel in the face.

He didn't whine about it. In fact, he never even talked about it. He did tell it to a bottle for a long time.

Better he talks about it at all, then just bury it. PTSD will effect anybody. Long enough in combat and you will break down at some point. Everybody has that wall.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm speechless.

I'll apologise for the other 98% of the human race, not everyone is a he man killer with no concience or after thought when they get home.

You know, I know of one guy who had "PTSD" when we got back, he was a big fat idiot who was fine on the weekends but when you wanted him to work he would act crazy and draw on his sapi plates.

Stuff happens, people can deal with it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I respect anyone who serves. Just as any Soldier wouldn't/doesn't like to be called a "Sailor" or "Marine", it's also vice versa.

If someone is to GD stupid to not be able to tell the difference, they should stay the fuck off of the internet.

You a Marine?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Too GD bad. I know too many WW2, Korean War & Viet Nam vets who live well adjusted, stable & productive lives. I also know several Chosin Marines, no one (save maybe Pacific WW2 Marines) have ever gone thru as much hell as they have.

Save the whining for the liberals.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You a Marine?

The avtar fool you, sir??????????
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm speechless.

You know, I know of one guy who had "PTSD" when we got back, he was a big fat idiot who was fine on the weekends but when you wanted him to work he would act crazy and draw on his sapi plates.

Stuff happens, people can deal with it.

While stuff does in fact happen, not all people "deal" with it, As was mentioned above, some simply drink it over instead of talking about it (My uncle was like that) If the numbers from that link are correct, there are a lot who don't simply "deal" with it.
I assume the vietnam vets are included in that number too. 317,000 sounds like a huge number.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too GD bad. I know too many WW2, Korean War & Viet Nam vets who live well adjusted, stable & productive lives. I also know several Chosin Marines, no one (save maybe Pacific WW2 Marines) have ever gone thru as much hell as they have.

regardless of their " well adjusted, stable & productive lives." Were you part of their everyday life too? doctors, banking, etc?
how do you know,those you list haven't gotten this same type help this Marine has or is getting? or some other form of help for that matter, well adjusted and stable is relative my friend. knowing someone and KNOWING someone are a far cry from being the same IMHO. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll take "Liberal Lies" for a $1000, Alex.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a 'one sided ' debate... Marines just are!

Quiet, you Brit squid!!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Can anyone go through combat and not be changed? My dad is a vet and him as well as others I've met were all said to have changed when they got back. Sky is blue, grass is green, people have psyocological problems after they've been through combat, what else is new?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Got your back.  Everybody down, now!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#32]
This is from Arieana Huffington's website, if it said that the sky was blue I would have to check for myself.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I assume the vietnam vets are included in that number too. 317,000 sounds like a huge number.

Some guys from previous wars and other minor actions have also gone for help.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some guys from previous wars and other minor actions have also gone for help.

I didn't mean to leave anyone out for sure.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't care if he drools and smears his shit on the walls.  He's one of ours and I respect him for his service and sacrafice.  The pros can fix him, that's their job. This young man could have left the battle field when "the Picture" was on every headline in the free world but he chose to stay with his brothers in the war.  That speaks volumes on his courage and dedication.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Can anyone go through combat and not be changed? My dad is a vet and him as well as others I've met were all said to have changed when they got back. Sky is blue, grass is green, people have psyocological problems after they've been through combat, what else is new?

What people often forget is that mental illness usually strikes people between 20 and 30 years old.  There was a study showing that the rate of mental illness in Vietnam Vets was no greater than age-matched controls in the general population who stayed on the home front.  

So you have people getting discharged from the military and right about that time they go Section on you.  Well, they would have gone crazy ie. bipolar either manic or depressed, schizophrenic, etc., whether or not they had been in the military.  Yes, a small percentage may have a psychotic break triggered directly by psychological trauma, but they are the minority of those who eventually develop an Axis I psychiatric diagnosis.  This isn't my opinion but that of psychiatrists at two different VA hospitals that I trained at.

But 'psychological problems' is a far cry from being 'crazy'.  James Blake Miller will adjust like every other vet has minus the truly mentally ill that would have gone crazy had they spent the same time pumping gas on the home front.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL! To be quite honest, that's got to be one of the dumbest fawkin things I've ever heard in my life. It ranks right up there with Ted Kennedy quotes.

OK, now stay with me because you are appearently a marine and I need to try and keep you focused, the thread was about a wacko lib. trying to make political hay from the troubles of a member of the US military. Do I still have your attention? Understand what the thread was about,? or do we need to do some remedial work? Now, the purpose of my post was too cast sarcasm upon the liberal reporter for using the problem this combat vet has in order to further her political agenda when everyone really know she don't give a shit less about this vet's problems.

BTW, I could really give a shit less if you are a marine. Just don't act like a friggin idiot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

God has a hard on for Marines....

i1.tinypic.com/mx0r9g.jpg
A Royal Marine makes his way onto the river bank whilst being covered by a US Marine during a river crossing exercise at Fort AP Hill in Virginia, USA.

KILL KILL KILL!

that was a funny movie.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You a Marine?

The avtar fool you, sir??????????

All the Marines I know are respectful, so yes it did.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#41]
So when did the Marines stop being a type of soldier?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got PTSD. Just the breaks. I didn't ask for it, I didn't make it up. If I don't get the drugs, I don't sleep. Even then the drugs don't always work. If I don't sleep, I get stupid. Just the other day I forgot to clear a weapon, handed it to somebody and he damn near shot his foot off.

Tough shit, life is hard. Deal with it and move on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What people often forget is that mental illness usually strikes people between 20 and 30 years old.  There was a study showing that the rate of mental illness in Vietnam Vets was no greater than age-matched controls in the general population who stayed on the home front.  

So you have people getting discharged from the military and right about that time they go Section on you.  Well, they would have gone crazy ie. bipolar either manic or depressed, schizophrenic, etc., whether or not they had been in the military.  Yes, a small percentage may have a psychotic break triggered directly by psychological trauma, but they are the minority of those who eventually develop an Axis I psychiatric diagnosis.  This isn't my opinion but that of psychiatrists at two different VA hospitals that I trained at.

But 'psychological problems' is a far cry from being 'crazy'.  James Blake Miller will adjust like every other vet has minus the truly mentally ill that would have gone crazy had they spent the same time pumping gas on the home front.  

I think we're agreeing, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I think some of you need to ease up a bit.

You know - *I* have never been in combat. Most of the people who have even been in the military have never been in combat. My dad saw a sliver of it in the Navy at 'Nam, and he doesnt like to talk about it.

I think when one says something like "No self-respecting Marine whines about how rough combat was." I htink they are glossing over what happended - as well as exagerating what ol' Marlboro said.

Look - some people can kill people with a spoon and then eat their corn flakes with it. Other do what they need to do when the time is right. I know people who were in actual combat who dont like to talk about their experiance at all. I wouldnt say any of them were "positive". And I dont think they WANT the images in their mind any more.

Then I am sure there are the more rambo types who eat this shit up and join the seals.

Being one or the other doesnt make one more ore less a man. It a human delima to take another life. When he says something like: "How can people go to church and be a Christian and kill people in Iraq?" Remember SGT York had the EXACT SAME delima before going to war.

Hell, my dad was a navy marksman, and they wanted him to try out for SEAL traning. But in his words, cutting peoples throats under water wasnt his thing.  Doesnt make him a loser.

We all have our limits with what we can live with.  I say if the guy is skittish from coming back we cut him a break. He did his time, he served his country, which is more than most of us can say.

And as for BobCole  -

I have no doubt that the Marines are the hardest trained of our branches, and I have no doubt that they are our toughest fighting force. I have a huge ammount of respect for the corp.

I have no idea who you are, you could have a purple heart and bronze star on your chest. Or you could be a chef. I have no idea if you have seen combat or not. Maybe you did and you shit yourself, or you shot a guy, or you ran through a hail of bullets, ripped off a mans arm and beat him to death with it.

But I think you werent where ol' Marlboro was, and didnt have his experiance. And maybe you dont have his scruples. But I think dont think you have any right to call him a whiner etc etc.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Whn I came back from Iraq, I went to the emergency room twice in a month because I thought I was having a heart attack.  Both times, the docs hooked me up to an ekg machine which said I was fine.  Even after being told my heart was fine, I would stay up all night long, with chest pains convinced I was going to die at any moment.  Doctor finally diagnosed PTSD and put me on an anti-depressent.  While I still have a lot of anxiety, I don't feel like I am on my deathbed.  I can sleep for about four hours a night now, 3 times as long as before I was put on the anti-depressent.

Shit happens, I guess we just deal with it.

When my grandfather came home from the Pacific where he fought at Guadelcanal , he didn't talk about it, and didn't seek help.  He just drank his life away for 30 years, finally shooting himself with his service pistol on Thanksgiving Day.  I guess shit happens, we just deal with it, right?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I think some of you need to ease up a bit.

You know - *I* have never been in combat. Most of the people who have even been in the military have never been in combat. My dad saw a sliver of it in the Navy at 'Nam, and he doesnt like to talk about it.

I think when one says something like "No self-respecting Marine whines about how rough combat was." I htink they are glossing over what happended - as well as exagerating what ol' Marlboro said.

Look - some people can kill people with a spoon and then eat their corn flakes with it. Other do what they need to do when the time is right. I know people who were in actual combat who dont like to talk about their experiance at all. I wouldnt say any of them were "positive". And I dont think they WANT the images in their mind any more.

Then I am sure there are the more rambo types who eat this shit up and join the seals.

Being one or the other doesnt make one more ore less a man. It a human delima to take another life. When he says something like: "How can people go to church and be a Christian and kill people in Iraq?" Remember SGT York had the EXACT SAME delima before going to war.

Hell, my dad was a navy marksman, and they wanted him to try out for SEAL traning. But in his words, cutting peoples throats under water wasnt his thing.  Doesnt make him a loser.

We all have our limits with what we can live with.  I say if the guy is skittish from coming back we cut him a break. He did his time, he served his country, which is more than most of us can say.

And as for BobCole  -

I have no doubt that the Marines are the hardest trained of our branches, and I have no doubt that they are our toughest fighting force. I have a huge ammount of respect for the corp.

I have no idea who you are, you could have a purple heart and bronze star on your chest. Or you could be a chef. I have no idea if you have seen combat or not. Maybe you did and you shit yourself, or you shot a guy, or you ran through a hail of bullets, ripped off a mans arm and beat him to death with it.

But I think you werent where ol' Marlboro was, and didnt have his experiance. And maybe you dont have his scruples. But I think dont think you have any right to call him a whiner etc etc.

very well put.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Tag-

my best friend came home from Iraq last year a little different. I have some thoughts and maybe some questions for those who have been through it. I'm just too tired to type out a well thought post on the subject.

ETA: He never complained or bitched. I'd like to know how (if?) I can help him "readjust" so to speak.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I must admit I have a friend that was the first Marine wave to go in and now he has PTSD now also.

This subject interests me highly.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, they are NAVY.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The VA pays a shitload of money to surviving vets from all branches of service and conflicts for PTSD based illness,  research and meds.  You must be made of much sterner stuff than many of those guys who went through hell and came out the other side.  Seem a little bitter.  PTSD claim denied, maybe?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top