Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 12:00:15 AM EDT
Maybe a Kevlar helmet too.

I mean cmon you got to wear that goofy orange stuff, why not wear something that might help out more.

Althought I suppose you would definately need some trauma plates for it to be useful if people are hunting with rifles.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
ibtp, and no!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Only when hunting around Dick Cheney!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you nuts?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#4]
The problem comes with hunting with other people,not with hunting. I will never hunt with anybody again, i hunted deer with my girlfriend this winter,after she tripped and pointed her rifle at me i decided right then and there i would go solo from then.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]
do you even know what kind of armor would be needed to stop good hunting ammo?  You'd need Lvl 4 or better, that means plates, and no saying if it'll stop something like .300 winmag or .300WSM
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
do you even know what kind of armor would be needed to stop good hunting ammo?  You'd need Lvl 4 or better, that means plates, and no saying if it'll stop something like .300 winmag or .300WSM

300WSM for going on a deer drive, deer are jumping up no more than 20 yards and you need a 300 to shoot them???
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

300WSM for going on a deer drive, deer are jumping up no more than 20 yards and you need a 300 to shoot them???

do you know where I live?  I'm about 50 miles from flat desert, we can take deer at 1000 yards with .300WSM or .338LM out here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I am just stunned with people's pre-occupation with body armor.

I'm betting that if it wasn't required by regulation, more than a few troops wouldn't wear it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

do you know where I live?  I'm about 50 miles from flat desert, we can take deer at 1000 yards with .300WSM or .338LM out here.

Thats ok for where you live,but these assmonkeys here use these same rifles for 50 yard hunting, i dont get it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#10]
No. I won't hunt with anyone I'm not 100% comfortable with handing a gun to, and we organize to prevent just such an incident. And how easy would it be to put on level IV body armor (the type required to stop most hunting calibers, emphasis on MOST) over or under winter clothing? Do you really want to wear all that restrictive clothing while stalking prey, climbing a tree, or getting in a blind? Much less having all that weight on you while transporting a dead, heavy animal who knows how far?

I MIGHT wear a simple flak jacket to a gun range in case of ricochets or AD's/ND's. MIGHT. If I could find one I could afford and thought would be worth spending money on instead of more guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:40:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Ill  only hunt on private land bymyself. You can be the safest person in the world but it doesnt mean shit when someone else messes up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#12]
ghey thread.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#13]
No, but I bet that the "Rambo-types" would think that they looked pretty cool wearing it.

Hey! Maybe all the antis should start wearing it, all the time. It would make some sort of "statement" for them, and they could quit their crying because now they'd be safe! Everyone would be happy!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:45:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1  

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:37:28 AM EDT
[#15]
and a face shield in case some bird shot comes your way?  why not hunt on Mondays through Thursdays when the number of hunters in the woods is less.  Plus, hike back a mile off the road and you will eliminate 90% of the hunters...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:28:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Hell no. I dont want to lug body armor around. Just be careful with who you go hunting with.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:43:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Armor that'll stop centerfire rifles is too heavy and bulky to go hiking very far in the field with. You're talking nearly 20 lbs of armor here. To the range, yes, I have done so, especially when the Elmers are sighting in their guns for Deer season.

Besides, it's VERY difficult to find a REPUTABLE company willing to sell hard rifle plates to civilians. Not impossible, but rather hard. They're apparently concerned with the stuff getting into criminal's hands. So all of a sudden selling hundreds of thousands of plate sets to reduce hunting fatalities just isn't going to happen.

I don't hunt anyways, so I don't have to worry about it too much.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/57985sm.gif  

Or if you hunt outside of Tallahassee. I no longer hunt there, been shot at too many times
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I quit hunting with a rifle about 20 years ago after just one too many incidents of being shot at.  The straw that broke the camels back for me was when I got so pissed at the idiots that shoot at sound or movement (after having another round sent in my general direction) that I found myself shooting back at them.  I fired several rounds in their direction (high into the trees above their heads) and shouted "Scary, isn't it?".  After that day I've never rifle hunted again.  I bought a hunting bow and learned to use it and since then have only hunted during special bow only seasons or in areas where firearms aren't allowed during hunting season.  I've just found that bow hunters (as well as most pistol and BP hunters) are a more dedicated breed, better equipped and trained and a lot less likely to shoot at sounds or movement.

In the 15 years I hunted with a rifle regularly I can't count the number of times I saw Rangers and Police with some hunter pulled over for doing something stupid like bagging the wrong game, elk during deer season or vice versa.  Or some poor farmers cow or horse.  Or some other hunter.  Or for using a a weapon not allowed, like a rifle during pistol season, or a centerfire rifle during BP season.  Not a single season passed without running into at least one idiot with all his gear confiscated and on his way to court.

Unless you get to an area too remote for the idiots to get there, or it's a special season or something like that, hunting just got too dangerous for me with all the idiots running around with guns who don't have a freaking clue what they're doing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#20]
hell no! we dont even have to  sport that stupid blaze orange let alone body armour. out here your lucky if you see another person hunting let alone get shot at. i dont know what you clowns are doing back east.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I've basically quit hunting. Dumbshits shoot deer hunters out of treestands with 30.06 rifles because they think the guy in the treestand was a turkey. WTF? Some guy shoots a kid in the head because he thinks the kid is a deer. WTF? Hunters and their lack of minimal saftey amaze me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The problem comes with hunting with other people,not with hunting. I will never hunt with anybody again, i hunted deer with my girlfriend this winter,after she tripped and pointed her rifle at me i decided right then and there i would go solo from then.

How do you know she "tripped"?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been known to wear an interceptor.

it's great insulation, and i hunt about 20 minutes from where Chai Vang has his fun little shooting party.

Quoted:
I fired several rounds in their direction (high into the trees above their heads) and shouted "Scary, isn't it?".  

Good. You don't belong hunting after that incident.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/57985sm.gif  

Or if you hunt outside of Tallahassee. I no longer hunt there, been shot at too many times

You must be talking about the Apalachicola National Forest We used to run deer with dogs down there every year up until about 10 years ago. It could get exciting, shooting at running deer, driving around like a maniac splashing through mud while talking on the CB trying to get ahead of the deer. Guys starting to drink liquor at 9am then having contests like who could shoot buzzards out of the air with things like 30-30, .270, .30-06 and 7mm Ahhh , good times

Now I just hunt on private land and leases around a few other people that I trust. Never really though about body armor before but it wouldn't be a bad idea in the place I described above, things may have straightened up a bit down there now in recent years though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top