Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 2:23:14 PM EDT
I just checked my email and found this........

"Hey Big Brother ,

So J and I were chatting last night about the world and it's current state. He recently read something to the effect that the world oil consumption will be at it's peak in 2015.Plus, they don't even know how much oil is really out there, it could run out tomorrow, they really have no clue what kind of supply there even is.

Imagine the total chaos when this happens.

So we got talking again (this has been a topic of conversation many times between us two)about crisis preparedness and how we really need to finely hone these skills and get what we need in case we need to bug out somedayto the woods of Northern Maine.

What I need to know from you is this:
1. Can you teach me to hunt at some point? I know it's not an overnight skill you learn, but I know nothing right now. (you know it does not thrill me to shoot anything living, but someone needs to know)

2. Can you tell me what type of gun would be the best for us to own for hunting and or protection assuming we cannot take an arsenal of guns with us.

3. Read any good blogs or books on this subject (we own Crisis Preparedness by Jack Spigarelli, it's very good) What are your plans if any?Seems silly to stay here around town if this happens. We'd be sitting ducks.I'd rather take my chances and die in the woods with my family than sit here and get looted, raped and murdered. Those are my thoughts for today.glad I know about planting.
Love you ,Pru  "

So where do I begin.................I told her Id take her and her husband and their two daughters (6 and 9) shooting a few months ago and Im looking forward to it ...its just finding the time that we both can go.

Good beginner books?

Any sites besides ours and Frugel's ?

Any help for aiding a total beginer?

Im kinda surprised / shocked ....in a pleasant kind of way
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell her to IM Peak_Oil
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Tell her to IM Peak_Oil

Yeah...........

that was the first thing that popped into my mind. She needs to realize everything ELSE out there that could turn into a problem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
2015 eh.
Cue the coo coo clock

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Send her here:

AR15.com Survival Discussions

Yep Im about to Email her a couple links.....that one included.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Have her read Patriots, by John W.Rawles.Start on mindframe first.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn,  I wish my lil sis would send me an e-mail like that.  Her and her hubby are brain washed liberal sheep.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
2015 eh.
Cue the coo coo clock

Thats her...........not me

Ill straighten her out I hope..........

Shes 40 and neither her or her husband have ever shot a gun....let alone hunted or probably even camped out.

I think Ill break em in with my MkII and 10/22 's and go from there . Ill get em reading some stuff on the web and see if it 'takes'.

She's always been a kinda spur-of-the-moment girl and Id hate to think she might completely loose intrest in a few weeks.........but its possible.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Send her here:

You are going to send a gurl to the Survival Forum?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thats what Ive been thinking. My copy is about worn out.....but if she's serious, Ill give it to her.

One of my favorite books
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Send her here:

You are going to send a gurl to the Survival Forum?

Ill have her just "ghost" it for awhile

Frugal's will be more her taste .
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8

....they really have no clue what kind of supply there even is.

Nope. They have a clue.

Geophysicists have been working since the twenties to figure out where oil bearing strata are. They have a lot in their bag of tricks.

The one I know has coke bottle glasses and he's paid big bucks to be right.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#13]
2015 what? Dont y'all know it'll end on dec 31 2012 eh?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what Ive been thinking. My copy is about worn out.....but if she's serious, Ill give it to her.

One of my favorite books

The ONLY book i have read four times in my life.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
2015 what? Dont y'all know it'll end on dec 31 2012 eh?

Your almost 2 weeks late and a few mags of ammo short there.

It's December 21th
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Damn,  I wish my lil sis would send me an e-mail like that.  Her and her hubby are brain washed liberal sheep.

Her email, quite frankly,blew my mind. She isnt exactly liberal ......but shes definately not very conservative.

My whole family knows where I stand....her included.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#17]

2. Can you tell me what type of gun would be the best for us to own for hunting and or protection assuming we cannot take an arsenal of guns with us.

The best type of gun to reccomend to your Sister & Brother-in-Law would be a 12 guage shotgun.

It can be loaded with birdshot for hunting, and 00 buck and slugs for bad guys.

Other guns would be a .22 caliber rifle for hunting.

Since they are new to the shooting sports, if they are interested in a handgun, I would reccomend a revolver in .357 magnum.  The revolver is not complicated to operate and the .357 can be loaded with .38's as well as .357.

They also need to buy ammo. The more the better, the sooner the better. I would reccomend at least 1000 rounds for each gun, and store it in sealed military ammo cans. This should be their " In case of emergency " ammo, and should NOT be touched. Have them get other ammo to use for target practice.

If that Marxist from Illinois gets elected, ammo is going to become a scarce commodity. Get it now, when you can, as much as you can, as soon as you can.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#18]
she is a smart lady.
send her to us at the surival area.

oh, but we need a pic 1st.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
she is a smart lady. Yeah ...she's no dummy

send her to us at the surival area. Im going to send her the links shortly....she and her hubby will probably ghost for awhile

oh, but we need a pic 1st. Hey....Ive been playin on this site for a few years now I aint tossin her to you vultures. Hell.......she's my ONLY sibling.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#20]
As others have indicated, send her to the survival forum here.

They will treat her well and get her all prep'd up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sounds like this gal is halfway there too. But it proves that there's hope!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The best type of gun to reccomend to your Sister & Brother-in-Law would be a
..........................snip.

Oh yeah.

The gun aspect Ive got covered.............in spades. I want to get them shooting safely first.(remember....none of them have EVER shot ANYTHING)

If the mindset takes Ill give them the Nylon 66 Ive had since I was a teen....and a couple bricks of 22s

I only own one 12ga....a Mossy ....and Ill probably give it to em once I P/U an 870 for myself.

Ive got a bunch of AKs though and Ill probably give them the Saiga fudd-rifle that I just bought with a couple of mags. Its not to intimidating and pretty straightforward to handle.

I might just p/u a MkII or a 686 SW for them for Chistmas or somethin.....prolly the Smith.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#23]
What is all of this bullshit about .22s and shotguns?

We all know which rifle is the most effective commercially available to civilians. Get them an AR-15 with some 5 round mags for hunting and some 30 round mags for defense.

Once they get it out to the range and pull the trigger a few times they'll be over their fear of it. Then get them home and show them how to strip it and clean it.

Besides, the AR-15 is now the best selling rifle in America. They're everywhere and people are getting less and less afraid of them.

.22's and shotguns my ass!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What is all of this bullshit about .22s and shotguns?

snip

.22's and shotguns my ass!

Um....OK....Ill let them know that....but Im not giving them one of my ARs
( I love em , but Im not made of money)

They'll have to be happy with the AK for now............and thats IF this little training excersise takes a set

First the 22.......then a shotty..........then a decent handgun..........then the AK

My 9 yo niece is going to be the fun one. Shes a tom-boy all the way. Apparently , shes been bugging mom since I brought up the whole idea of goin' shootin a few months ago.

I think SHE will be the quickest study at this whole thing
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#25]
also have her try  timebomb2000. a lot of info on that site almost everything from A to Z. at least as far as i can tell.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Were going to try to get together this weekend and do some plinking after an introduction to the basics of gun saftey/handling.

Apparently,when they were living in VT ,they had quite a garden and she did some canning and food stores. She claims they had quite a stockpile of food (months)
They had little BOBs ready but she wasnt sure of what to put in them.

Im going to put together a list of basics they should keep bagged up and ready

Quoted:
also have her try  timebomb2000. a lot of info on that site almost everything from A to Z. at least as far as i can tell.

Never heard of that one............looks like alot of info.
Very interesting.Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#27]
The first thing to do is to learn to use apostrophes, and then teach your sister about NOT using them.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Ok, I'll be that guy.

Where is she going to bug out to?

I'm all for preparedness, but, all of this peak oil, energy,UN, civil chaos, etc. is for the most part unlikely to happen.  The US is very resilient.

The fact is, it's fun to think about bugging out, Red Dawn, Mad Max and all that other cool stuff but the fact is it's the boring stuff that needs to happen first.

Bug Out:  You need land--running to the hills will get you dead

Health and Physical Fitness:  See your doctor, improve your lifestyle, quit smoking drinking etc.

Financial:  Get your financial situation in order

Skills:  Acquire useful skills

Bug In:  Have supplies at home, that's most likely where you'll be stuck if SHTF

Guns: Probably should be low on the list after food, health, other skills, etc.

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#29]
this thread needs the oh noh,s pic!
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Where does she live?

There are plenty of resources to tap for this.

I firstly recommend she take a hunter safety course. Kinda boring, but will teach the basic skills needed, and the compass course is real valuable. In Maine they are usually free. Anyhow, good luck with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Where does she live?

There are plenty of resources to tap for this.

I firstly recommend she take a hunter safety course. Kinda boring, but will teach the basic skills needed, and the compass course is real valuable. In Maine they are usually free. Anyhow, good luck with it.

Her family live downtown Portland
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:02:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ok, I'll be that guy.Please do,sir.

Where is she going to bug out to? Exactly? I dont know that ....yet. Our parents live in a quiet suburban neighborhood in South Portland...so there first. If that is flooded or dangerous, they all will probably head to my uncles places in Casco or Naples. Very rural and they are ex LEO and all hunters/trappers with alot of land and knowledge.

I'm all for preparedness, but, all of this peak oil, energy,UN, civil chaos, etc. is for the most part unlikely to happen.  The US is very resilient.Ive already informed her of this......she and her family still need to have options though.

The fact is, it's fun to think about bugging out, Red Dawn, Mad Max and all that other cool stuff but the fact is it's the boring stuff that needs to happen first.Agreed. The fantasy armegeddon scenarios are all mine she is a little more practical and worries/plans around food stores and practical knowledge....she only asked me for links/books and some gun training

Bug Out:  You need land--running to the hills will get you deadSometimes , sitting in a downtown apartment will get you dead. You need to know when to bug-in, or bug-out. Most of  Northern Maine and New Hampshire is unpopulated ,rough country............lots of trails and fire roads to explore and hide in

Health and Physical Fitness:  See your doctor, improve your lifestyle, quit smoking drinking etc.She and her husband are in much better health than I.
But then again....Im not going to jog into the mountains...Ill live in my truck until I get to where Im going (Ive got three possible spots that I hunt....pretty remote)

Financial:  Get your financial situation in orderShe knows this..I cant help her there

Skills:  Acquire useful skillsThe whole point of this excersise

Bug In:  Have supplies at home, that's most likely where you'll be stuck if SHTFFor the most part.......yep. Still a good idea to be armed

Guns: Probably should be low on the list after food, health, other skills, etc.Thousands of us here (including me) would argue that point
She and her hubby know nothing about guns....Im going to remedy this...propperly

ETA.....the biggest problem I see is that my job involves traveling....I will no doubt be on the road in some powerplant a thousand miles away if a disaster strikes.Ill be in no position to help if Im in New Mexico
Ill feel better that my sister's family has SOME kind of knowledge and a means to defend themselves.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#33]
tell her to read survivalblog.com, written by same guy that wrote patriots
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Have her start here:  www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

It's one of the members who evacuated from Katrina.  It's a well written document on what can go wrong, what can go right, pitfalls and successes.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like this gal is halfway there too. But it proves that there's hope!

I can only hope.  I'm looked at as some kind of crazy seperatist or somethign if I bring up being prepared.  I've given up.

I'm not the "OMG the sky is falling" type, but, I strongly believe in being prepared and self sufficient.  To many members in my family, this makes me the "OMG, the sky is falling" type and I get looked at crosseyed if I even bring anythign up about being prepared.  

I can tell my dad has the right mindset but he's still in the "I've got a few 5 gallon water jugs and food in the pantry so I'm OK" mindset.  There's definately hope for him but my mom is oblivious to this type of thing (God bless her).  She a wonderful person but things of this nature don't even cross her mind.

I'm blessed by the fact that I met a woman who is on board (now).  My wife thought most of what I did as a waste of money.  Katrina started to turn her.  Having to evac for Rita and the mess that ensued in the Houston area after we left made her see the light.

She made me go buy her a BOB and stock it up for her.  She also reminds me to keep the gas reserve stocked and rotated. She finds comfort in the fact that we have food stored away for SHTF and helps out with rotation there as well.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top