Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
4/1/2020 4:14:10 PM
4/1/2020 6:58:51 AM
Posted: 1/12/2005 6:29:48 PM EDT
I have the IP addresses of the attempted "intruders".  How do I find out who they are and what, if anything, can I do?  Report them to my provider?

Sorry I'm so technically stoooopid.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:30:36 PM EDT
can you post logs and block out the offending IP ?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:30:51 PM EDT
Sorry about that, I was just snooping around.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:35:37 PM EDT
your "internet security software" is probably lying to you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:38:47 PM EDT
Ignore  it. get used to it. usually just harmless probes. if ur firewall is seeing it then you dont have much to worry about. its life on the net. welcome!

-foxxz
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:41:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By giacutter:
I have the IP addresses of the attempted "intruders".  How do I find out who they are and what, if anything, can I do?  Report them to my provider?

There is nothing you can do about it.  There are thousands of computers running all sorts of programs that scan for open ports.  Everyone who is connected to the internet is being scanned all the time.  You just need to make sure you keep your system up to date with all the security patches and run a firewall like you are doing.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:41:05 PM EDT

Get a router/NAT box and make
sure that you don't forward any
ports.

This will prevent 99% of your
problems. You still have to worry
about spyware/trojans, but a
NAT box will protect against
"hackers."

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:58:04 PM EDT
probably script kiddies running a port scan over a large IP range
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:04:10 PM EDT
8?  lol

Part of 'normal' operations is for some web systems to bounce traffic off your system. Your own ISP does the same. Then there are the folks like spyware and kids playing with prepackaged hacking/cracking s/w. Each system on the internet, a function of the communication protocols & structure being used, has a TCP/IP address. And each address / system essentially has 65,536 Logical Ports under that address. Web pages, HTML use Port 80, or IP-Addy:80
FTP programs use other ports. IM / IRC / Chat software use a variety of others. Only a few are needed, the rest are unused. Some programs, and particularly spyware or nefarious virus or worm-related programs can use any of these other Ports. This is what 'Port-Scanning' is about - looking for an open door into your PC.
And that's where Firewall software or hardware comes in, essentially slamming the door on these highways into your system.

The system I took that cap off of has been running for just over 3 years since the first install of ZoneAlarm. It isn't left on when I'm not using it, yet it's logged 93,000 attempts. That's ~85 a (partial) day.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:06:08 PM EDT
Alot of them are nothing, some people freak over every one they get.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:56:07 PM EDT
[gomer pyle] Goooo-llly sargeant [/gomer pyle]

Quite an eye opener.  Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:59:42 PM EDT
hell my black ice logs about 8 a sec
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:10:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:
Alot of them are nothing, some people freak over every one they get.

that reminds me of when my grandparents called shortlly after getting a cable modem. My Grandma was freaking out thinking someone was breaking into her computer since the firewall said she had blocked scans.
Im like grandma caln done thats what a Firewall is for to prevent it its just saying it blocked it.

Now if only I could convinve her to not install those damn spyware infested toolbar.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:32:11 PM EDT
I've looked up a few IPs that have tried to hack my computer.  The report is usually servers in China.  Not that it really matters because hackers can mask thier real IP or take over other servers to do thier bidding.

If I were a bit more network savie, I would hack em back.

But if you want to look them up

whois.net
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:59:50 PM EDT
Anything on a broadband link is going to get continuously scanned. Millions of machines have been compromised by worms and viri. They in turn try to infect others.
Top Top