Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2008 10:17:57 AM EDT
And I know there are plenty of us out there: We buy a movie, watch it once, and will never watch it again. And we do this over and over and over. Sure, we all watch Red Dawn or Heat over and over, but From Hell, or The Limey? Not so much...

So what do the rest of you DVD 'collectors' do?

Just keep the movies around, even though you'll never watch them again?

Or do you try to sell them, figuring any money you get back from them is better than having the movie collect dust?

Link Posted: 10/4/2008 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Give them to me!!!!

Nah I would sell them on Amazon or try and trade them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
give them to the library
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Sell what you can. Dontate the rest. If you are able, take a tax deduction on them; IIRC, you can claim the entire new purchase price for each one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have around 400 DVD's.  I hardly ever watch them, but I wont be selling them any time soon.  You never know when you want to watch that one movie that you sold.

Link Posted: 10/4/2008 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't it be cool if we could establish a list of addresses without names. Then when we have a DVD that we don't want, we could randomly pick an address from the list and send it to that address. The recipient can then watch the DVD and when finished, if they desire, they could pick an address at random and send it out again.

Wouldn't that be cool.?!
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Nah, all mine sit in rows collecting dust.  I also buy lots of books that end up in the garage. Back about 20 years ago I sold a huge collection of books to a used store. Now that my daughter is older I wish I would have kept them so she could read them.

Hobby's in general don't make much financial sense. Hobbies will usually end up costing far more money than you could ever recover but most hobbyists don't dwell on those facts.

Link Posted: 10/4/2008 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Donate them to the library!

If you're a film fan, you'll be making hundreds of other fans happy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#8]
When a new Blu-ray is released that I want, I pick out about 10-15 DVDs that I'm not going to watch any more and head down to the video store.  I get more in store credit for DVDs than cash so that's how I do it.

Although, I'm liking the sound of the donate/write-off idea.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Yard sale, use profits to buy a... gun.

That is how I divested my VHS collection.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Send them to soldiers overseas.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That is what I do, and they will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm looking for The Devils Advocate. Got it?

What, you don't want to spend $1.94?
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Damned straight I do, but that stays in the 'keeper' pile!

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hadn't considered that; I like that idea. I'll have to look into the particulars of that...
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Wait for a Blue ray recorder you can probably fit 5-6 dvd's into one BR
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wait for a Blue ray recorder you can probably fit 5-6 dvd's into one BR

Not jumping on the BR wagon quite yet. I'll wait until Oppo release a player, probably. (If I'm going to replace my 981, it'll be with another Oppo.)

Besides, I should have my home theater PC done soon, which is a better source for 'backing up' movies than writable discs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I have a huge collection, over 700 DVD's, Took up 2 5 shelf bookcases, and just had to figure something out. I tried selling some on e-bay, but that didn't work, I was mkaing like .40-.50 cents a sale. Wasn't worth the gas to go to the Post Office, so it was more of a problem far as storage, so I took all my DVDs out of the DVD cases, put them in the some CD Sleeves, and stored them that way to save space. Now my collection went from 2 bookcases to 2 drawers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Keep them. You never know when the entertainment industry will get itself back on it's feet Post SHTF!!!!! As long as you have a electricity you can have movie night.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Surely there's got to be some website like Goozex for video games or Paperback Swap for books.

Hmmm...I guess while fetching the P.S. link I found that they have a link at the top of their page called Swap-A-DVD for movies.  The only one of these that I've used is Goozex, so I can't vouch for the others.

Also, +1 for donating them to soldiers or the library.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damned straight I do, but that stays in the 'keeper' pile!

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hadn't considered that; I like that idea. I'll have to look into the particulars of that...

I find troops to send them to on anysoldier.com. Many of them specifically request DVD movies.

ETA: The site I linked to provides instructions on getting the name and address of troops to send them to, and how to fill out custom forms (not hard to do). Get flat-rate boxes from the post office, and fill them up. Pack some microwave popcorn for them to complete the experience. There is a special flat-rate box for APO/FPO that costs $10.95, and can hold a ton of DVDs and popcorn. My wife and I shipped off nearly 120 pounds of care packages yesterday to troops that greatly appreciate them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you have scooby doo and scooby doo 2 monsters unleashed?

the live action versions.

i would REALLY like those.

seriously.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
give them to the library

library was thin just gave 100 more.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#24]
depending on the subject matter, you may want to consider donating them to a worthy charity.

Of course I can't imagine the old folks' home popping in The Professional for a Friday evening movie.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
depending on the subject matter, you may want to consider donating them to a worthy charity.

Of course I can't imagine the old folks' home popping in The Professional for a Friday evening movie.

You would be suprised at what old people would watch.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I vote keep them too.  It's called a movie "collection".

+1

Just get better storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top