Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 1/10/2005 11:50:46 PM EDT
The AR platform has to be the most customizable gun on the planet. There are probably 38 different barrel configs, between the sizes, chromolly - chrome-lined - SS, different weights...

Is there an article or a FAQ on BBL choices? Would someone like to volunteer to tell me a little about compositions, profiles, and lengths/gas systems?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:09:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:13:22 AM EDT
Best thing you can do is lurk and read.  It may take a few weeks, but eventually something in your head will click and you'll understand all the different configurations and setups.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:31:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 12:39:55 AM EDT by Noname]
A tiny bit of info may be gleaned here...

And here...

And here...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:07:34 AM EDT
Thanks, guys - you're a real resource! Rifle's intended purpose - light, handy carbine. Some kind of red-dot sight for quick acquisition, BUIS if the SHTF and Koko the Gorilla over here smashes it.

My goal is to keep overall weight (uloaded) to about 7 lbs., and I want a BBL that's easy to clean. I don't like the collapsable buttstocks, as they move around too much for my tastes - changing cheek weld, etc., so I have bought a ARFX stock, Mega lower and upper (A3), and a LPK from Del-Ton (it's a CMT).

Was thinking about an M4 profile BBL, but don't know the advantages/disadvantages to getting one. Are they light? Heavy? Why the cut for the grenade launcher? Does it affect accuracy? Will a pencil barrel whip? How heavy is a H-BAR?

Oh, I plan on free-floating the BBL because I want all the accuracy a 16" gun can provide. I'm not hoping for MOA or anything, (not with my somewhat degraded vision; I used to be 20/15 ), just a good plinker that I could hand to a woman to shoot without it being a burden to carry.
Top Top