Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2015 10:54:42 PM EDT
I've had some really good luck in the used gun section of my local Cabelas lately. Got some deals an old Auto 5 and a Type 99 Arisaka recently, and then the other day I stop in after work to look around and see this in one of the cases. The extent of my knowledge on Sauer 38's is basically just being aware of the fact that they exist and not much else. Which is still than the store knew about it because all that was written on the tag was "German 7.65". I was able to get it for $275, so I figured what the hell and bought it. I'll see how it shoots this weekend.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Damnit.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting. you should update with pics of the shot groups.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I will.

It's a neat little pistol. From what I've been able to look up it was made sometime mid-WWII and is a military version. A nice feature is that you can decock it to DA and if you push down the lever again recock it back to SA.

It functions and field strips pretty much identical to a PPK. I wouldn't say its a cruder copy of a PPK, but maybe just not as well refined.

I like to think of it as if a FN 1910 and a PPK had a baby, but then the PPK had a few drinks during pregnancy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Impossible.  Arfcom has told me repeatedly that there are no good used gun buys at Cabelas.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Impossible.  Arfcom has told me repeatedly that there are no good used gun buys at Cabelas.
View Quote
Honestly, I would share that sentiment overall, but I've just gotten lucky with a few older, somewhat obscure guns.

The prices at mine are totally all over the board. It's like they just pick a price tag out of a hat and assign it to a gun at random. My Arisaka was priced at $250 and was sitting next to a beat up Bushmaster XM-15 for $1,100
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Sauer 38H I think

Any Nazi marks on it ?  Nice score

Looks like the grips are intact and not cracked ( very common they split / crack )
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Lucky you!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
While not a great deal, I bought a like new Ruger Blackhawk 357 last week for around $375 otd they had $40 off all used guns

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sauer 38H I think

Looks like the grips are intact and not cracked ( very common they split / crack )
View Quote
There's an eagle with an N below it on the slide and frame. Numbers also match as well.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I will.

It's a neat little pistol. From what I've been able to look up it was made sometime mid-WWII and is a military version. A nice feature is that you can decock it to DA and if you push down the lever again recock it back to SA.

It functions and field strips pretty much identical to a PPK. I wouldn't say its a cruder copy of a PPK, but maybe just not as well refined.

I like to think of it as if a FN 1910 and a PPK had a baby, but then the PPK had a few drinks during pregnancy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I will.

This is the pistol that 'inspired' the HK P9 series of semiautos. It has a lever that will cock, and un cock the internal hammer. The same lever on the P9's will drop the slide. too.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

There's an eagle with an N below it on the slide and frame. Numbers also match as well.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sauer 38H I think

Why can't I find the good stuff?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Some people have all the luck.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#16]

My Sauer 38H Vet bring back w/ holster.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Put 100rds through it at the range today. Had a few malfunctions due to putting my thumb on the slide out of habit of holding larger framed pistols, but once I started holding right it ran great. The ammo was some cheap PPU I got on the way it will be interesting to what it could do with decent ammo.

Here's 50rds at about 15yds

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want to continue to shoot it and not kill the collector value purchase some repro grips ( available from Vintage Grips ) .

The originals get very brittle from age.

You did get a sweet deal. Cabelas can be really weird and some of the people working the Library can be real idiots when it comes to pricing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you want to continue to shoot it and not kill the collector value purchase some repro grips ( available from Vintage Grips ) .

The originals get very brittle from age.

You did get a sweet deal. Cabelas can be really weird and some of the people working the Library can be real idiots when it comes to pricing.
View Quote

Or alternatively, perhaps the gun library managers actually do know what they're doing, and they price a lot of junk high to keep their superiors happy, and they let slide little deals on the collector stuff that only those in the know would pick up on.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Which one did you go to? Lacey or Marysville?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I have one also .  Seeing your still has the safety it probably early or mid war. They got rid of it late war.   I bought mine from bob hogan a few years ago,  never shot it though. You got a good deal
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Put 100rds through it at the range today. Had a few malfunctions due to putting my thumb on the slide out of habit of holding larger framed pistols, but once I started holding right it ran great. The ammo was some cheap PPU I got on the way it will be interesting to what it could do with decent ammo.

Here's 50rds at about 15yds

http://i.imgur.com/QiAoI4T.jpg

View Quote

At 15 yards, that is great shooting for a pistol that little. PPU is actually very good and accurate ammo. I've shot it in the past next to Federal or Speer and never had a misfire, hangfire, or anything bad with it. Always fed properly and accuracy was consistent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top