Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2009 2:05:30 PM EDT
Are tough enough to have made it in the Continental Army?

Let's just say that a musket ball or shot didn't kill you, would have toughed it out for a full year? Lack of proper clothing, shoes, rations, pay, medical care, sanitation, climate control and a lot of other stuff i am forgetting. On top of that having to march into a battle, stand shoulder to shoulder and slug away at the Brits.

I will be the first to say it, I would be full of FAIL. That was a tough generation of men.  I know it is some what a slanted comparison because we know so many comforts they could not have imagined but that doesn't change the fact that they stood up to the worlds best army and held their own when the world thought they were doomed from the start.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Again?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Let's just say that a musket ball or shot didn't kill you, would have toughed it out for a full year? Lack of proper clothing, shoes, rations, pay, medical care, sanitation, climate control and a lot of other stuff i am forgetting. On top of that having to march into a battle, stand shoulder to shoulder and slug away at the Brits.

no, without food and warm boots/clothing after about 2 days I would have run off like a little bitch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I do not wish to live in the pre-central air condition era.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I will be the first to say it, I would be full of FAIL. That was a tough generation of men.  I know it is some what a slanted comparison because we know so many comforts they could not have imagined but that doesn't change the fact that they stood up to the worlds best army and held their own when the world thought they were doomed from the start.

Discuss.

All the other continental soldiers could huddle around the radiant heat of my massive penis that I would deploy while correcting the writings and philosophy of the Founding Fathers.

Then I would demoralize the British by giving their women orgasms from across the sea by kissing a rock and then throwing it in the Atlantic. (This also would give orgasms to women on our side of the sea.)
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss.

All the other continental soldiers could huddle around the radiant heat of my massive penis that I would deploy while correcting the writings and philosophy of the Founding Fathers.

Then I would demoralize the British by giving their women orgasms from across the sea by kissing a rock and then throwing it in the Atlantic. (This also would give orgasms to women on our side of the sea.)
...and mermaids....and Dusty_C

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss.

That was my answer too, beaten by only seconds..dammit!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss.

wait wut?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, without food and warm boots/clothing after about 2 days I would have run off like a little bitch.

me too, I am a 'summer soldier'
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I am sitting here reading posts,  with my bicep torn from the bone.  Waiting on an MRI from workmens comp for almost a week.  Thank God for pain pills..

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm tired today from babysitting my very young granddaughters last night.  I'd probably last about 15 minutes in good conditions.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't cry about jalapeno juice on my hands if that's what you mean.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
My toothbrush, snuggie, and shamwow I cannot live without.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I nominate this for post of the day!

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Statistically speaking,I would have either deserted or died of flu/pneumonia/pox.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm so badass I fish with kittens as bait

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I say YES!  

In this day we have the easy life and even serving in the military is relatively easy as compared to Colonial Times.
I believe that I would have been a tougher man to begin with and if some foreign army was about to take
my rights away I would stand up.  I grew up not far from Bunker Hill and Concord.  If you look at the symbol
the National Guard uses, it is a Minuteman.  Its kind of fitting.  In the days of the Revolution there wasnt a
standing army.  It was guys like you and I and we would stand and fight for everything we (They) held sacred.
Our land, our families......OUR FREEDOM.  Seeing an American Flag and hearing the National Anthem still
gets me every time.  "For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

I fought for our country in 91 and I would have done it in 76 too that is 1776.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#17]
The "no boots" thing must have really sucked.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I nominate this for post of the day!

I'll second that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed. I could do without food for a while, but cold... Fuck it!

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#20]

This I think in the new administration    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDyRdhSIqlo

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#22]
l'm half horse, half gator, and a touch of the earthquake. l got the prettiest gal, fastest horse ugliest dog this side of hell. l can out-jump, out-run, throw down drag out and whip any man in all Kentucky.                  

How you been, Jeremiah?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Meh, people were much different back then.  I look around here and see a few that might make a valiant effort, and then I look around at Wal-Mart and see that we are doomed.  

I am trying to improve myself, but I've got a long, long way to go to be in any sort of shape to outlast my own willpower.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#24]
This time last year I would have been fine, a year later now with major surgery and kidney failure I wouldnt last a week unless they had Continental Army dialysis machines.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Never go full retard
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I made it 3 days in an FTX with summer boots and ACU's in slush and snow in the mountaibs with no creature comforts. I couldn't imagine doing that for any longer. They were very tough.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When eating jalapenos you have to use only one hand and then REMEMBER which hand you ate with when you go take a piss....
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Mental toughness is all you need.  The will to endure anything when the penalty for failure is death,  is not all that hard to come by.

Your survival instinct will man you up enough to tolerate it, believe me.

The way you face an armed enemy head-on is the same way it's always done:  Belief in two
things,  the first of which is that you're charmed and if someone dies, it'll be an enemy
or one of your fellow soldiers, but YOU will survive.  The second is that you're fighting for
something that's worth dying for if it must be so.

ANY modern soldier who has been in combat in Iraq or Afghanistan has almost certainly
endured situations that are no less stressful than being in the Revolutionary War on the
front lines of combat.

Throw me into such a situation and I'm sure I'd adapt very quickly.  My body would have
to readjust to the differences but don't think that I'm dependent upon air conditioning.
I've worked outside all day in the hot Florida summers and while I do like to be in a
climate controlled environment,  it's by no means a survival necessity.    Frankly it's more
important to me to just be able to BATHE on a daily basis, if at all possible.

Don't think you can't be as tough as the minutemen were.   If it came down to it,  I'll bet
that most of us can be quite a bit tougher than we give ourselves credit for.

CJ
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#29]
It's all in what you're used to.  They started out with a rough life, so they were better prepared for it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Not without Pmags.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#31]

<––- I would have been with that guy instead.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not without Pmags.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Discuss.

It was about a bigger thing than any man's life.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fancy myself more of an "Autumn Warrior" myself.

The men that gave our country it's freedom from Britain were seriously badmuthafuckas.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's all in what you're used to.  They started out with a rough life, so they were better prepared for it.

Exactly

Thier normal life would seem hard to us
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I say YES!  

In this day we have the easy life and even serving in the military is relatively easy as compared to Colonial Times.
I believe that I would have been a tougher man to begin with and if some foreign army was about to take
my rights away I would stand up.  I grew up not far from Bunker Hill and Concord.  If you look at the symbol
the National Guard uses, it is a Minuteman.  Its kind of fitting.  In the days of the Revolution there wasnt a
standing army.  It was guys like you and I and we would stand and fight for everything we (They) held sacred.
Our land, our families......OUR FREEDOM.  Seeing an American Flag and hearing the National Anthem still
gets me every time.  "For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

I fought for our country in 91 and I would have done it in 76 too that is 1776.

This
plus the reason we won that war was that we didnt just stand in the field slugging it out most of the time. we hid and killed from the shadows with rifles. we could shoot further more accuratly than the brits.

Edit: 2003 in Iraq it was 120 degrees or better and we still wore all our gear and didnt die, run , or puss out. and it wasnt even our country we were fighting for.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Discuss.

Sound a lot like Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Not very badass, but I do talk a good game.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

<––- I would have been with that guy instead.

+1.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Standards they were used to.  It would be more bad ass if you stood in the Civil War, where they actually had rifles that could hit you from more than fifty yards away.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly

I tend to agree.  If I could take my AR back in time with me, I'd be the first president.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm Bada$$ enough to handle jalapeno juice on my hands.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#43]
i would have raped the opp force's ass.

never would they have known that they were even about to die.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly

I wouldn't last 15 minutes doing woman's work in 1775, and I'm the meanest, toughest, roughest SOB in the entire living room.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I would not have lasted very long, as I am too smart to stand still, in the open and let some fuckin' red coat lob bullets at me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Id request to bring my AR with me, as well as my armor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm pretty badass, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I would be reduced to a whining, crying bitch within half an hour.

- BG

EDIT:   Ok, 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the mindset, will and determination to make it, but I doubt my body would keep up satisfactorily.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Badass enough I wont brag about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top