Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 11:05:35 AM EDT
A liberal d-bag?

Don't get me wrong, I liked it. But many things really bothered me. He seemed big on the government taking care of everything. Capitalism very bad. The Russian priest who said they were one of the worst supplied of weapons because the had PPsH's and Mosin's? A Mosin would be one of the best weapons I would think in the story. I can't remember some other things.

Audiobook was cool with the different actors narrating with Max Brooks as the head guy.

Anyways, seemed kind of liberal. Maybe that's why I was able to be turned into a movie.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#1]
As I read the book it didn't come off as liberal to me, but I wasn't looking for a political perspective at the time.

If it was the audiobook with multiple readers, was it complete? I heard there was a version that didn't tell all the stories from the book, and that a new audiobook was coming out to complete the whole book.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Meh, he might be. But if so he has no trouble poking some of liberalism's sacred cows in the book.
BTW the audiobook leaves out some of the cooler parts of the novel. You shold read it too.
Oh, and the voice of Todd Waino, the Battle of Yonkers soldier? Mark Hammill.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Really?? It leaves out parts? That's shitty!! What did I miss? Now I'm pissed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#4]
If it was the abridged version, you missed out on a nuclear sub that says hell with orders, we're taking care of ourselves.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#5]
No that was in there. He then was attacked by loyalists & kicked its butt. I find it hard to believe that China had such an advance sub that we didn't detect it. But oh well, future fiction
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, he has stated he was raised as a typical Kalifornia liberal douchebag. I'm not sure what he considers himself now. Pseudo-intellectual globalist?

Here is a talk he did for the US Army War College. Apparently being a history major means you are very smart.

http://youtu.be/-nGG5E04cog
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:Maybe that's why I was able to be turned into a movie.
View Quote

Oh really
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#8]
He tells the story from the perspective of people all over the world.  Many of them are libs, many ore not.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As I read the book it didn't come off as liberal to me, but I wasn't looking for a political perspective at the time.

View Quote
Give it time. You've only got 840 posts.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh really
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Maybe that's why I was able to be turned into a movie.

Oh really

I haven't seen it, but I understand it has nothing to do with the book. But it got publicity for the book so...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I read the Kindle sample of the book a couple of days ago and I'm still debating on whether to purchase the book.  Is the entire book in a documentary fashion like the sample chapter?  I haven't seen the movie either.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He tells the story from the perspective of people all over the world.  Many of them are libs, many ore not.
View Quote

I realized that, but in the conclusions to the interviews they seemed left leaning ideas. I don't know maybe I'm thinking to much.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I read the Kindle sample of the book a couple of days ago and I'm still debating on whether to purchase the book.  Is the entire book in a documentary fashion like the sample chapter?  I haven't seen the movie either.
View Quote

I tells the story of WWZ through multiple interviews by people in different areas of the world.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I got the same sense that you did OP.

A little internet research revealed that Max is a product of NYC and CA.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I got the same sense that you did OP.

A little internet research revealed that Max is a product of NYC and CA.
View Quote

That makes sense.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess the liberal part is simply that wartime economies tend to not be free market driven.  When the choices are life and death, people will almost always sacrifice some freedom to choose life first.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

The story about the little girl that lived through a Zach attack on their church and is now in a mental hospital raised the hair on the back of my neck. Don't read it outside in the dark under a street lamp like I did.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know if listening to it is different, but I couldn't get past his shitty writing to finish it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I read it and did not come to that conclusion. I thought it was very well thought out, and most of what they did made sense in that situation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Good book, but he was raised rich in hollyweird so he's bound to have a bit of comsymp in him.  

I thought he was pretty offbase when it came to the military and firearms in this book and in the zombie survival guide.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Not everything is political...

Its a freaking book about zombies.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If it was the abridged version, you missed out on a nuclear sub that says hell with orders, we're taking care of ourselves.
View Quote

they re released it, originally it was only abridged now its correct.

i "read"the old one when it came out and the new one last week. there was only a few new parts but it was better.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good book, but he was raised rich in hollyweird so he's bound to have a bit of comsymp in him.  

I thought he was pretty offbase when it came to the military and firearms in this book and in the zombie survival guide.
View Quote

I thought he pretty much nailed it.
Everyone fighting the last war.  The eventual transition to a new style of fighting based on education by attrition.

Shit look at the past 10 years.  

Brooks did a good job in the book. Didn't strike me as loaded left or right. Less of a masturbation exercise of the LMOE and more of the way that different civilizations handled the zombpocolypse

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The story about the little girl that lived through a Zach attack on their church and is now in a mental hospital raised the hair on the back of my neck. Don't read it outside in the dark under a street lamp like I did.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost bought it but I had several other samples and a novel based in Classical Greece won out.  I will likely by WWZ sometime in the near future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top