Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/27/2012 1:48:52 PM EDT
This was posted by a dude I went to High School with. I'm not sure where to start.

The AR-15 is the semi-auto civilian version of the military semi or fully auto M-16. Fun facts! It is designed for trained solders to ideally wound the enemy as this will drain more resources than actually killing them. The AK-47 is designed for untrained solders like kids, because it is a machine gun first and is not as accurate as the M-16. Most killings in the USA are from hand guns (75-85%) with the "assault weapons" getting most of the media coverage. When they were banned, the number of killings did not drop. All fully auto weapons have always been illegal

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:49:34 PM EDT
By not responding.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:49:55 PM EDT
First post and all.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:50:08 PM EDT
First post nails it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:50:10 PM EDT
You're a fucking idiot, why the hell am i on facebook
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:50:29 PM EDT
Sounds like he is a lot more knowledgeable than the media.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:52:51 PM EDT
Teachable moment. But teaching requires patience.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:54:03 PM EDT
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:54:47 PM EDT
Unfriend
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:57:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dbort:
Unfriend

As much as I want to do that, I am stubborn as hell. I feel like bitch slapping but as was mentioned above, I have a fantasy of capitalizing on a "teachable moment".

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:58:20 PM EDT
He's trying to be on your side, and publicly calling him out would be a bad idea.

Either don't respond, or if you care enough, privately message him and explain that you appreciate his viewpoint, but some of his facts are not entirely accurate and you would like to discuss.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:00:01 PM EDT
How the fuck are so many of you guys friends with such idiots on FB?

I never see shit like that on my page.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:01:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By runcible:

He was a friend in High School that I haven't seen since then. Didn't know his political POV until now.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:03:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pen:
He's trying to be on your side, and publicly calling him out would be a bad idea.

Either don't respond, or if you care enough, privately message him and explain that you appreciate his viewpoint, but some of his facts are not entirely accurate and you would like to discuss.

Do this. Send him a message giving him facts, talking points, etc. Will help a lot more than publicly calling him out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:03:36 PM EDT
Leave it alone. His heart is in the right place and maybe he'll persuade somebody with his argument, even if it's flawed. Take him to the range and shoot some practice if you want to get into terminal ballistics.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:05:16 PM EDT

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:06:16 PM EDT
The only response merited, if any, would simply be the word "Wrong".
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:07:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thebomber:

He was a friend in High School that I haven't seen since then. Didn't know his political POV until now.

What are reading into his "political POV"? It sounds like he is on board with "assault" rifles not being the problem.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:09:30 PM EDT
Fuck that, call him out.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:10:24 PM EDT
Log out of facebook and never log back in.

I'm not kidding.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:14:36 PM EDT

That's what I got out of it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:16:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:17:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Smashy:
By not responding.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:19:57 PM EDT
I'm with the other folks who are saying he's one of the good guys. Okay, maybe he's not an expert on all things tacticool but damn, some of the folks around here need to take some friend vs. foe recognition classes or something.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:23:13 PM EDT
Delete, account and move on.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:25:16 PM EDT
Trying to educate people on Facebook is like trying to teach a pig to sing....it never works very well...and it annoys the pig.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:29:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Soylent:
Log out of facebook and never log back in.

I'm not kidding.

This is good advice, OP. Heed it.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:32:22 PM EDT
nuke the friend

don't respond

don't fall for the bait, keep bp low and relax.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:33:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 3:20:15 PM EDT by Winn]
Originally Posted By subcomunic8r:

Teachable moment. But teaching requires patience.

Frankly, at this point, each and every demostration of ass-hatery needs to be responded to and shot down - each and every time.

And in the case of FB, even if the "OP" doesn't get it, there may be a number of his "friends" reading there who finally do.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:33:23 PM EDT

What are reading into his "political POV"? It sounds like he is on board with "assault" rifles not being the problem.

You should have seen his earlier posts. He said the 2A is about single shot guns. I blasted him so this reply is a litttle bit of a surprise.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:35:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2012 2:38:11 PM EDT by fla556guy]
If you want to know the reason, it was to reduce the weight of the individual round so that each soldier could carry more ammo for the same weight, combined with the change in doctrine that stipulated that the battle rifle was pretty much useless for how we were planning on conducting battle operations, we didn't need to be able to shoot out to 1000m, so why should we carry weapons and ammo that were designed for that task?

Therefore, being able to shoot more for the same weight (and cheaper in resources as well) was really the push for the 5.56. It had nothing to do with wound/kill.

Just so happens that it makes a damn fine round for a lot of other uses as well. Soft shooting, forgiving rifle to teach newbies on, etc. Readily available ammo because of it's crossover with military ammo supply lines (well, that is until things get odd, like this panic situation).
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:37:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By denverdan:

That's what I got out of it.

Yep, me too. Don't destroy him publicly.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:39:33 PM EDT

You should have seen his earlier posts. He said the 2A is about single shot guns. I blasted him so this reply is a litttle bit of a surprise.

Looks like he's at least trying (or pretending to try) to be reasonable. Give him the facts, and maybe a history lesson on the AK and AR, if you feel up to it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:40:44 PM EDT
*unfriend*
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:42:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By chibajoe:

Looks like he's at least trying (or pretending to try) to be reasonable. Give him the facts, and maybe a history lesson on the AK and AR, if you feel up to it.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:56:13 PM EDT
Looks like a case of..." having just enough information to get you in trouble" syndrome.

It reads like he is trying to defend AR/AK 's but doesn't have the right info to do so.

Suggest you I.M or email him some info links ( ammo oracle, etc) ....he gets informed, doesn't get chewed up by anti-gunners....you become his "hero".

win/win
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:56:48 PM EDT
Unfriend
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:58:37 PM EDT

This was posted by a dude I went to High School with. I'm not sure where to start.

The AR-15 is the semi-auto civilian version of the military semi or fully auto M-16. Fun facts! It is designed for trained solders to ideally wound the enemy as this will drain more resources than actually killing them. The AK-47 is designed for untrained solders like kids, because it is a machine gun first and is not as accurate as the M-16. Most killings in the USA are from hand guns (75-85%) with the "assault weapons" getting most of the media coverage. When they were banned, the number of killings did not drop. All fully auto weapons have always been illegal

Fun fact: you have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:00:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:03:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Smashy:
By not responding.

chicken dinner
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:06:00 PM EDT
I responded by deleting my Facebook account 3 years ago.

Ya know what? It's fucking insane.

The idiots are in charge, the lack of education is unsurmountable, you can never fix it.

People are too fucking stupid to be educated. It cannot be done. You see it on the press, the media and on the news.

There is just no dealing with people that refuse to be faced with facts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:10:52 PM EDT
I quite FB three days ago. By the time I was done unfriending all the idiot liberals I use to be friends with in HS and college... there were only 2 left and some family members. Plus, I wondered if FB can go fuck itself for lots of other reasons as well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:20:22 PM EDT
Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror...

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:24:08 PM EDT
By canceling my FaceBook account.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:35:44 PM EDT
Stay off facebook?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:54:26 PM EDT
by not being on FB.
ignorance is bliss.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:50:23 PM EDT

That price makes baby Jesus cry.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:56:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GoVol98:
Looks like a case of..." having just enough information to get you in trouble" syndrome.

It reads like he is trying to defend AR/AK 's but doesn't have the right info to do so.

Suggest you I.M or email him some info links ( ammo oracle, etc) ....he gets informed, doesn't get chewed up by anti-gunners....you become his "hero".

win/win

This.

It really sounds like he is on the right side just mis-informed.

Do the right thing and PM him with the correct info in a supportive way.

We need all the people we can get on our side right now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:11:50 PM EDT
I don't regularly log on to FB (like once every 2 months or so) but the wife does fairly regularly. This is a ton of this crap on there and to ignore it only puts "us" in a bubble. If we are not there for the teaching moments, then the dumbing down continues and each time this anti-gun fight rears its ugly head, our job gets a bit harder.

I am starting to believe that ignoring this is going to ultimately cost us the 2A. Let's face it, the social media is contributing to the downward spiral of the average IQ.

There was a bit of good news I heard today, that several schools in different states are now starting to teach the teachers about guns, e.g. CCW and tactical response with firearms, maybe there is hope after all.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:23:41 PM EDT
Usually I would agree and just ignore it.

But I feel that right now is the time to try and reach out and correct idiots like this just on the off chance that they may actually see the light! I know it's a long shot but I think it is worth it in today's climate about guns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:24:56 PM EDT
Facebook is a great way to stay in touch with friends and family.

Do not get dragged into flame wars.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top