Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
4/1/2020 6:58:51 AM
Posted: 11/19/2008 4:01:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 4:02:19 PM EDT by USGI_45]
They must have sucked dick way back then as far as reliability goes....no 1st, 2nd, then finally 3rd gen enhanced followers. You only had crappy GI aluminum mags and shitty "green followers"

Nah really I remember reading here back in 01. Common discussion would be "Ive never had a failure from my AR", "Way more reliable than they are given credit for", "GI mags are the only way to go, never had a problem"

But then everyone "upgrades" every chance they get, so were you all having issues with your weapons, or no? Were you all just lying back then about your weapons functioning properly?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:05:41 PM EDT
i have never had a problem with any of my ar-15s today or long ago.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:05:54 PM EDT
I didn't own an AR back then. I believe people are upgrading because the new shit is cooler!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:11:22 PM EDT
I never had a problem.

Heck, I still use the USGI mags with the plain ol pre-green follower.

But then again, I am not Bubbathetactical either.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:13:11 PM EDT
My old COLT is very reliable

it's been around a lot longer than ARFCOM

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:14:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By USGI_45:
They must have sucked dick way back then as far as reliability goes....no 1st, 2nd, then finally 3rd gen enhanced followers. You only had crappy GI aluminum mags and shitty "green followers"

Nah really I remember reading here back in 01. Common discussion would be "Ive never had a failure from my AR", "Way more reliable than they are given credit for", "GI mags are the only way to go, never had a problem"

But then everyone "upgrades" every chance they get, so were you all having issues with your weapons, or no? Were you all just lying back then about your weapons functioning properly?

Nope, even my Oly ran like a sewing machine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:15:29 PM EDT
I bought my first AR15 30 years ago (still have it) and it was just as reliable as my newer AR15s.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:15:46 PM EDT
My non-chromelined barrels and stock FCG worked fine back then, too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:16:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Derek45:
My old COLT is very reliable

it's been around a lot longer than ARFCOM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/AR/ARPC71606011.jpg

That's just because Colt uses superior metals and there's a little bit of God in every Colt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:17:41 PM EDT

I have never had trouble with any of my ARs.
I only buy mil-spec guns and pats and I buy good mags and ammo.

They have always worked well and now,with the upgrades they work even better.

Now are there any more loaded questions or can I go get a beer now?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:17:55 PM EDT
I guess I'm guilty of this as well. However, I only upgrade the older black followers and have never had trouble with them either.

I don't change out the green ones.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:19:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
I never had a problem.

Heck, I still use the USGI mags with the plain ol pre-green follower.

But then again, I am not Bubbathetactical either.

same here

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:22:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By UH_SALT_RIFLE:
...... I believe people are upgrading because the new shit is cooler!

Bingo.  Had AR's since 02, and never bothered with Magpul followers, or any of that fancy shit.  I still have black followers in some mags.

In 2+ years working on a USMC KD range I saw 1 mag spring break, and a couple tilted followers.  

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:22:46 PM EDT

Probably not the heaviest usage, but I qualified expert nearly every year in the Marine Corps with, initially an A1, an A2 on the KD course. I even shot in the intramurals one year. This is from 1982 to 1994.

I never had an alibi shoot for rapids, and I don't recall ever having a parts failure.

Every rifle was an armory rack rifle, and none had any special attention.

The bootcamp rifle was handled by so many  recruits that it had practically no parkerizing left on the lower.

I'd say any properly built and maintained AR should be pretty darn reliable...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:27:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 4:29:18 PM EDT by JoeCoastie]
All this new stuff is just like the newest things in the auto industry or fashion as well. Errr, I guess I shouldn't compare anything on this site to fashion unless I'm in the womenz forum since most of us probably wear LLE T-shirts and jeans.  Anyway, I still have vietnam era 20rd colt mags with the aluminium followers and they work just fine.

wait, are they aluminium? Anyway, they aint even green and they work
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:34:45 PM EDT
If you can upgrade for the the same or nearly the same price, why not.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:45:23 PM EDT
I have been fooling with AR's for almost 30 years. I can remember when Colt was the only AR that existed. The only trouble I have ever had has been a few blown primers from second world ammo. My guns have always run like a top with any GI mag. I am not Mr maintenance either.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:45:27 PM EDT
I still have the oly arms ar that I bought 7 years ago and I still shoot it (with gi green follower mags).  Never had any problems with it even after running aprox 4000 wolf green laqer ammo over the years. Just shot it today as a matter of fact.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:48:27 PM EDT
Mine is from 1984. When kept lubed and clean, its 100%.

It did take over 500 rounds before getting worn in enough to become 100%, but that simply the breaking period of the stuff.

And BTW, I'v only used the forawrd assist 3 times in over 5000 rounds.

Also note, no parts have been changed. Gun contains the same parts as when it left the Colt factory (excepting the scope&mount).
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:50:21 PM EDT
I still have the OEM followers and it hasn't killed me yet
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:51:16 PM EDT
A few of my mags still have green followers. They haven't failed me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:52:33 PM EDT
Please.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:54:32 PM EDT
My green follower USGI mags work just fine. Always have.

That said, when I bought new mags this time around, I bought PMAGs because they are better.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:55:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 20iner:
A few of my mags still have green followers. They haven't failed me.

All four of my 30 rounders have green followers and they function flawlessly.  My AR is not my go-to rifle, so I only have 4.  Not the best, I know, but it's what I have.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:55:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bryan0928:
If you can upgrade for the the same or nearly the same price, why not.

Exactly. My old mags are USGI green followers, but any new mags will be PMAGs. Why not?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:57:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:
Mine is from 1984. When kept lubed and clean, its 100%.

It did take over 500 rounds before getting worn in enough to become 100%, but that simply the breaking period of the stuff.

And BTW, I'v only used the forawrd assist 3 times in over 5000 rounds.

Also note, no parts have been changed. Gun contains the same parts as when it left the Colt factory (excepting the scope&mount).

I call BS that you have a factory Colt from 1984 with a FA.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:00:57 PM EDT
Old Colt A2 worked perfectly well. Mags used were almost all Adventureline and Colt 20 rounders with aluminum followers from the Nam era. Double feeds were nonexistant and it went bang with boring regularity.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:03:02 PM EDT
I only have 1 mag with green followers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:24:00 PM EDT
My first AR was a Colt SP1, back in the pre-green follower days.  I ran mostly 20 rounders back when you could go to the gun shop and buy them NIW (made by Colt!) for $5 each.  

My SP1 was a great shooter...should have never sold it.  I never used it under "combat" conditions, just range use.

Still, I like Magpul followers and HK mags...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:34:12 PM EDT
My cycle in bootcamp(85') were amoung the first to be issued the M16A2.

That thing never skipped a beat, even with Sanchez and adventure line mags.

Of the dozen or so M-16A2/203 Rifles issued, I only had one that was snotty.

5 years ago? No problems. 10 years ago? No problems. 20 years ago? No problems.
G.I. Mags-No problems.
Shitty Mags? Yup..problems.

Olympic AR's?
Back in the day?
PROBLEMS!!!

So what's your point?

S-28
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:48:08 PM EDT

OK, you're showing your (lack of) age.  The original design, of both rifle (if cleaned) and (20 round) magazine, worked just fine. In fact, the very early magazine was a 25-round design.

I bought my first AR, an SP-1, in 1978. It came with two 20-round magazines. I kept it reasonably clean, and I never had a misfeed. There was a problem with the early 30-round mags, though, because the first ones were curved. A cursory examination of the rifle itself reveals that the mag well isn't curved. Therefore, there was a very quick redesign of the 30-round mag that had a straight top section and an arc that began after the mag well.

The 20-round followers were metal, and sturdy, and worked flawlessly.

The first 30-round followers didn't take the curve into account, nor the higher spring pressures, and had a tendency to tilt over and bind in the magazine. There have been a couple of redesigns, and the anti-tilt followers, which were green to make them easily identifiable, solve that problem.

Everything after that is just marketing. The twisted-pair wires used in some of the new magazines address a problem that occurred in some early magazines and although not a factor for some 30+ years, have persisted in the lore of pissed-off 60s Viet vets.
Same with the followers; anything after the green anti-tilt followers is just marketing, pure and simple.

If, by "reliable" you mean magazines, buy any post-1986 (roughly) GI magazine with an anti-tilt follower and you'll be 99%+ reliable.

If you want to go beyond that by getting the P-mag or the HK high-reliability mag, well that's fine (I have a few of each), but not necessary.

If you are talking about the reliability of the rifle itself, that's never  been a real problem.
The problem was that the rifle was sold as never needing cleaning, which is unrealistic, to say the least.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:01:14 PM EDT
Bought a 16" upper from Sherluk marketing, about one out of twenty rounds would not extract.  I finally figured out that the gas hole in the barrel was over-sized (0.082"), resulting in the extraction to begin early.  By drilling and tapping the hole for a #10-32 (being careful to stop ~0.050" short of drilling through the barrel wall), I installed a stainless set screw which I then drilled a new 0.070" gas port hole.  The carbine has run great ever since.
Top Top