Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 7:40:59 PM EDT
I understand the general concept of how they work, but what I don't understand the details of how they feed, chamber, fire, extract, eject and start over... Anyone have a good CAD animation or pics of ones guts?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Planning on building one?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have to ask your never know.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always wondered if they jam? How do you clear and reload a gun on the bottom of your aircraft in flight?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Similar concept...

http://science.howstuffworks.com/machine-gun4.htm
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Planning on building one?

May just do that... Crank operated FTW!

Actually I'm just a curious engineering student who has been puzzled about just how they work since I saw Predator a few days ago. Now it's bugging the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]
tag for detailed machinists' plans
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#7]
look at it this way... its 6 rotating guns being loaded from a single source.  if one of those guns jams, itlll just be one barrel down.  if the feed setup or ejection port jams up... then youre screwed.

6 barrels, 6 bolts

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have always wondered if they jam? How do you clear and reload a gun on the bottom of your aircraft in flight?

From what I understand, even if a round fails to fire in a mini-gun it will be automatically ejected nonetheless.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Similar concept...

That much I understand. Need more detail if anyone has it. I'm the guy who understands the role of every part in my AR and Glock and its operating cycle... it's going to bug the shit out of me until I understand how these function also.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Hows the positrac on a plymouth work? it just does
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I understand, even if a round fails to fire in a mini-gun it will be automatically ejected nonetheless.

right because it turns to load the next round not using the bullets energy in any way. I think that is how the guy killed his self at knob creek years back Stood infront on the gun and spun the barrels by hand, not knowing thats what fires the gun, the motor is just there do that really fast.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Dillon reloading press and consequently get their monthly Blue Press catalog complete with three or four articles.

IIRC, the GE mini guns had jamming issues.  I don't know if it was a clutch type assembly, or what not, but one jam would ruin your whole day.  When Dillon Aero got the contract, they modified this one problem part and reduced a lot of the jamming.

If I can find the article, I'll quote from it, but check out Dillon Aero's site for particulars.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That is one of the reasons that type of weapon is used in that role, it doesn't matter, the round will be ejected regardless of whether or not it fires. There is no jamming.

The machine is driven by an electric motor. One barrel is loading, one barrel is firing, one barrel is ejecting. None of these processes is dependent on another to continue.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Similar concept...

That much I understand. Need more detail if anyone has it. I'm the guy who understands the role of every part in my AR and Glock and its operating cycle... it's going to bug the shit out of me until I understand how these function also.

Go on to page 7 of the above link and there is a nice animation of a belt feed.  It works like that except with multiple barrels/bolts.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is one of the reasons that type of weapon is used in that role, it doesn't matter, the round will be ejected regardless of whether or not it fires. There is no jamming.

Well the delinking thingy (technical term) or feeding mebob (again a technical term) were to foul up somehow (have heard this can happen... usually a mangled round or such) it would cause the weapon to fail completely. Failure to fire wouldn't be a problem though.

Now depending on how it works a case that doesn't extract for some reason (ripped case head... etc) may either cause one barrel to cease firing and eject one in six ejected cases to be a live round... Or a complete and total weapon failure... Not sure which.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#17]
nice pics of gatling gun.
http://www.gatlingguns.net/3d.htm
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand the general concept of how they work, but what I don't understand the details of how they feed, chamber, fire, extract, eject and start over... Anyone have a good CAD animation or pics of ones guts?

Go to the local gun store and look one over or go to a gun range and rent one.

Where the hell do you live that has vulcan cannons at gun stores and for rent at the range? I'll quit my job at one of the largest gun stores in the nation and move tomorrow if that's the case.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Very similiar to a Gattling gun. From what I have read, GE procured a real working Gattling gun, and hooked an electric motor to it.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I've seen them up close at MG shoots and they are a sight to behold when running...

They have two triggers/buttons used to fire them...  one spins the barrels, the other runs the feeder. If a round is fed, it will fire. If it doesn't fire... it gets ejected just like any other spent brass.

They run off a battery... and the motor that runs the gun looks alot like a starter for a car.

The biggest thing you notice when near one firing... is the incredible volume of noise it creates.

The only thing I've EVER encountered that is comparable... is a Top Fuel Dragster at wide open throttle.
It will completely drown out any noise from other MG's on the firing line, quite easily.

Here's my buddy Howard of JB Arms with his Mini...

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Vulcan minigun function animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_7zG7RSgss

HKO
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The biggest thing you notice when near one firing... is the incredible volume of noise it creates.

The only thing I've EVER encountered that is comparable... is a Top Fuel Dragster at wide open throttle.
It will completely drown out any noise from other MG's on the firing line, quite easily.

Yup.

Just like dragsters, you can't even come close to appreciating how loud they are until you stand right next to one at max RPM.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Vulcan minigun function animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_7zG7RSgss

HKO

Awesome! Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it is just like a set of bolt action rifles arranged in a circle.  Instead of a hand working the bolt back and forth, there is a cam (maybe two cams one for the bolt and one for the firing pin).  An electric motor spins the barrel assembly and the cam(s) work the bits back and forth.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've seen them up close at MG shoots and they are a sight to behold when running...

They have two triggers/buttons used to fire them...  one spins the barrels, the other runs the feeder. If a round is fed, it will fire. If it doesn't fire... it gets ejected just like any other spent brass.

They run off a battery... and the motor that runs the gun looks alot like a starter for a car.

Here's my buddy Howard of JB Arms with his Mini...

http://www.jbarms.citymax.com/i//mini30_1.jpg

I'm noticing that the guy behind the gun has a smile on his face....is that just a coincidence?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Vulcan stuff does not work. Stay away from it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Vulcan is controlled-round-feed...

A round that fails to fire is just extracted/ejected when the barrel rotates around to the eject position...

Since it's electrically operated, the jamming caused by a FTF on a gas/recoil operated gun isn't a problem....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top