Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2009 5:55:49 PM EDT
Seriously? I mean I understand it's kind of an arfcom tradition, and I love zombie movies as much as the next guy, but are you all really serious about preparing for the zombie apocalypse or is this mostly in fun and jest? just curious.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
have you ever heard of Obama Zombies?  Of course they exist!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
COOL! MY FIRST DOUBLE TAP!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
they exist to a certain degree
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't believe in Zombies, you're all ready one of them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can't think for yourself then you are a Zombie.

Lots of zombies right now......................
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The training films all point out the validity of this likely scenario, so yes, I believe in Zombies.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 4:21:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Do I believe in Zombies, Yes and No.  It is a joking reason to get supplies and gear and weapons stockpiled in my mind.  But something is going to happen be it WW3 or the South Rising again and I will be ready.

On a side not we did do a cache search in a cemetery a few weeks back, before we left one of the guys run into my office to get a memo off my wall.... ZAP Memo...  and read it before the patrol,  It was in the CP before we got here and we edited some.

MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD

SUBJECT: Zombie Action Plan (ZAP)

1. General: The following memorandum will provide guidance for military personnel to produce individual ZAP’s.

2.  Purpose: To ensure soldiers have a Zombie Plan IAW AR 550-6 and to mitigate loss of personnel due to Zombie outbreak.

3.  Soldiers will develop plans to survive during Zombie outbreak that promote unit cohesion and Army readiness. These plans will be developed at squad level and modeled to act in compliance with higher level planning as well as independently in the event of command deterioration.

4.  Soldiers and Civilian personnel encountered during the execution of the ZAP that have been exposed to the Zombie infection must be eliminated by destruction of the brain, decapitation and/or incineration of the whole body.  For this reason, Combat Medics will no longer serve in a medical capacity. These soldiers will become combat infantrymen per basic training standards.

5.  ZAP’s will be developed for whole units starting at the Platoon level.  These unit plans will allow commanders to maintain combat effectiveness during Anti-Zombie Operations or AZO.

6.  UCMJ will be suspended during AZO.  Commanders will be expected to facilitate appropriate punishment to his/her subordinates as circumstances dictate.  This policy will remain in effect during the duration of AZO until such time as UCMJ can be reinstated by this command. Conversely, destruction of large numbers of Zombi will result in the awarding of the Combat Undead Action Badge.

7.  During any Zombie outbreak an “any man for himself” ideal arises which must be dealt with at the lowest level.  During Zombie outbreak all units will move from their appointed wartime mission into AZO in order to contain and eliminate the Zombie threat with a quick, coordinated, response. Supporting and subordinate units must and will act in accordance to the needs of higher units in support of AZO.

8.  Point of contact is XXXXX channel 3.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree that it is a joking reason to be prepared. I'd also say that it is scientifically possible, however unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#9]
On Zombie Squad they say, "If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, you're ready for any disaster."
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Bob Hope knew zombies were real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8sX10_4
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Liberals.

Nuff said.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On Zombie Squad they say, "If you're ready for a zombie apocalypse, you're ready for any disaster."

zombies or looters, head shot has the same result!
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/thread
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I think if you mean: "do all of us ARFCOM guys think that next week swine flu will have turned the world into a Max-Brookian nightmare."

No.

BUT, zombies are great for many reasons. They are fun, yet scary. There are tons of movies and opinions. You can gleefully chat about blowing them away with no guilt. Planning a 'zombie apocalypse' means basically planning for any civil emergency or natural disaster. If you were in New Orleans and had a safe rendezvous point picked out and a set of good survival supplies (like water and food) how set would you be?

Add to the fact that most of us want to protect our homes and families, we can't very well go online in this anti-firearm would and talk about "if we had riots, what gun would you carry to shoot people with". BUT if "the zombies attack, what gun would you carry to shoot them with" is a completely wholesome question.

Also, if there was a zombie apocalypse it would be an interesting challenge to prepare for, requiring pioneering skills, mechanical ability, farming, camping, first aid, hunting, leadership....etc. A zombie apocalypse would be a sure test of your abilities. It also lets folks who would otherwise never talk to share their areas of expertise.

A gung-ho camping/survivalist type probably has little in common with a import car tuning whiz, but they can both meet and discuss "zombies" with no animosity towards each other. In a world were everyone must be in one political camp or another, "what would you do..." has become the new "How about those Mets?" question to some degree.

Plus there is the entertainment value of Zombies...many really good movies and some excellent fiction has come out in the last 5 years. Anyone remember how cool the Titanic became after James Cameron's film? You couldn't get a related book from the library for months! Anything that encourages people to think and try new things while also helping them plan for an emergency is a damn fine idea in my book!

Me, I'm going to Canada, and building a tree fort for mysel and my .308! I'll live on canned food, propane heat, and peanut butter!
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This +1

and

Quoted:
If you can't think for yourself then you are a Zombie.

Lots of zombies right now......................

+1

Also think in the terms of mass panic. SHTF situation, Zombie scerino is one of many, internet total colapse, Russians invading etc, will it happen, meh who knows but if it does I want to know what the fuck to do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell yeah I believe.  I believe that anything is possible, period. If you don't believe and prepare for the mere possibility of worst case scenarios, then you're already a statistic.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Possible, but not probable.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Rabies like virus like Rage from 28 Days Later or Quarantine seems possible to me.

Victims were not really "zombies" since they were not dead... Yet!
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I work with a guy who I am pretty sure is a zombie. Bad thing is, he carries two guns.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#20]
If they didn't exist, there wouldn't be a word for them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#22]
what kind of dumb question is that armednhappy?  

Of COURSE I believe in Zeds.   geez!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah....zombies do exist!

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I really enjoy zombies as a pop culture genre. I like the books, movies, etc. and the stories containing them. And while I prepare for the inevitable apocalypse of the undead, I also learn invaluable lessons to be prepared for a more imminent, possible threat of a global catastrophe. If something were to happen, through my zombie "research" I have a great stockpile of supplies weapons, ammo, tactics, and knowledge to help me out if I find myself in the midst of a crisis that puts society on hold and in Jeopardy.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and live to tell about what actually happened.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#25]
No that would be silly. but it is fun to talk about. Everytime I get more ammo or another gun there is always a comment about being prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse.

I love the Bush video.

Check out this video.

A Guys Guide to Zombies
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Load more mags... zombies can use teh interweb!!!

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Zombies could become very real one day due to the great strides in medicine, chemical warfare and natural virus mutations.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:27:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Of course not...well hopefully, at least. It's a metaphor for some emergency situation where you may very well to need to defend yourself, be it foreign invasion, mass riots and looting, tyrannical government, etc. They personify all these things in one object, that allows for discussion on tactics and weapons. It also puts a playful mask on the ugly truth, zombies are monsters, not people.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:54:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I think people are just BSing you. Here is the *real* answer.

Quoted:

armednhappy, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, armednhappy, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, armednhappy, there are. They exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Zombies. It would be as dreary as if there were no armednhappys. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Zombies! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Zombies, but even if they did not see Zombies coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Zombies, but that is no sign that there is no Zombies. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, armednhappy, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Zombies! Thank God! they (un)live, and they (un)live forever. A thousand years from now, armednhappy, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, they will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#30]
No, and many posters above me have said why I like the topic better than I can.

Having said that, I firmly believe that something like the Rage virus in 28 Days / 29 Weeks After could conceivably happen.  If that did, then how happy will you and your family be that you've "prepped for the Zombieclypse"?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Exactly! I thought _everybody_ knew that.

Edited:  But more seriously, I do agree that something along the lines of the "28 Days" Rage virus could possibly happen.  - Is it likely? Hell no. But I suppose it's remotely possible.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#32]
IMO anything is possible.  600 years ago the world was flat, 400 years ago a firearm required a chunk of flint to fire and just over 100 years ago manned flight was crazy talk....the last 100 years are mind boggling with technological advances and medical advances...we've mapped the human gene for goodness sake...Some twisted bastard will get a hold of the the right people with the right information and do the wrong thing...A Zombie Army perhaps ?????

My friends I joke that we see zombies all the time and they drive cars with California tags. (no offence to my fellow AR15.com brothers and sisters on the other side of the Sierra) I know you guys are just doing recon.  

Whatever the case "really" is, it's just plain old fun joking about it.  

I just think of the term zombie as a metaphor for sheeple anyway.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly! I thought _everybody_ knew that.

Edited:  But more seriously, I do agree that something along the lines of the "28 Days" Rage virus could possibly happen.  - Is it likely? Hell no. But I suppose it's remotely possible.

I recall reading about a group of hippies had planned to put a massive dose of LSD into Chicago's water supply back in '68.

It is entirely possible some mad chemist out there could concoct some nasty hallucinogenic agent which could make an entire section of the population go berserk. It's not the rage virus but it would more or less have the same effect. A compound similar to PCP would do it, perhaps in a weaponized aerosol form.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:18:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Of course they exist...haven't you seen the movies??
Good lord man, you're on you way to becoming winner winner zombie dinner.
On the other hand, Freelance described it best.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#35]
IT'S ALL TROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm not sure that a comet will pass the earth and the buried dead will rise, nor am I sure that the normal Zombie virus will cause an outbreak. But I am damn sure that at some point human beings will fuck around with mutations of viruses and we will have something along the lines of I Am Legend in terms of a virus that is made to do one thing will turn out to make Zeds.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Bob Hope on Zombies:

link

Ah shit...beat to it...missed it on page 1
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Zombies dont exist right now, and im sure they never did in the past as we arent zombies. But the way viruses work I wouldnt be surprised if man had something to do with it in the future.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#40]
This is the way I think of it,

Its a fun way to get prepared for emergency's that are more likely to happen than most people realize. If you prepare for "zombies" by learning about survival, helping your family prepare, and stockpiling supplies such as food, water, medical stuff etc, you are preparing for a whole host of unpleasant things "ie Katrina"

besides, its what i tell my wife everytime I buy a new gun "its for the zombies sweetie"
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#41]
It's all fun and games until you have your brain eaten.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I wish
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think people are just BSing you. Here is the *real* answer.

Quoted:

armednhappy, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, armednhappy, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, armednhappy, there are. They exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Zombies. It would be as dreary as if there were no armednhappys. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Zombies! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Zombies, but even if they did not see Zombies coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Zombies, but that is no sign that there is no Zombies. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, armednhappy, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Zombies! Thank God! they (un)live, and they (un)live forever. A thousand years from now, armednhappy, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, they will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Now that.... was classic! BTW just for the record, I am a zombie movie freak (DOTD, SOTD, 28 series, Romero flicks) just looking for a legitimate answer when my SO asks ME if I believe in zeds
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#45]
DECEMBER 12TH 2012

i don't about you guys but all be ready for anything

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top